Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 13:50
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Make Your Own Molds for Low Carb Hot Dog Buns! Oh and Wraps too!

Are you sick of searching all over for bread molds for your low carb batters? Well stop now! Easy solution is only a trip to the grocery store away!!! Make your favorite shaped rolls - hot dog, hoagie, hamburger, whatever your heart desires.

Thanks to your trusty non-stick aluminum foil. You can even reuse them over and over. I don't wash mine, just stick them in a baggie and put them in the freezer. They hold up time and again!

Yep, it's been done a hundred and one gazillion times! Dr. Atkins Revolution Roll! It's had more facelifts than Joan Rivers and it's a wonder it's belleh button isn't a top knot by now! Repurposed, re-morphed, re-invented, tweaked...you name it!

So why the hayull am I reposting this tired old thang? Well, cuz it's revolutionary! Cuz this recipe is sooooo versatile it goes from sweet to savory in 3.6 seconds. But not only can you change the flavor, you can become a shape shifter!

The same batter that makes the hamburger bun, makes a hot dog bun, and a wrap too! Even a cracker or a pizza or flatbread! Don't think it stops there! Cook this batter a different way and make flatbreads and wraps!!!

So here's how to make your own hot dog mold without having an expensive silicone mold that's too small anyway. Make your own shaped mold!!! Wooot!!! Do it!

Revolutionary Wraps and Hot Dog Buns (Updated Recipe)

Serves – 8-10 Hot Dog Buns, or 12 Hamburger Buns, or 10 Wraps
Difficulty – Easy
Prep Time – 15 Minutes
Cooking Time – 40 Minutes (Hot Dog Buns)
12-14 Minutes (Wraps)

Ingredients
8 Large Eggs, separated
5/8c Cottage Cheese (any kind - recipe used Whole Milk)
1-1/8c Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
½ tsp Granulated Garlic
¼ tsp Granulated Onion Powder
¼ tsp Kosher Salt
1 scoop Protein Powder (about 30g or 1/4 to 1/3c, scoop comes with protein)
¼ tspCream of Tartar
1-1/2 tsp Country Dijon (optional)
¼ tsp Glucomannan Powder or 1 tsp Xanthan Gum*
Sesame Seeds or Poppy Seeds, optional (about ¼ tsp. per roll and 1Tbsp per Focaccia recipe)

*Glucomannan or Xanthan Gum gets used only for the wrap portion of your recipe. If making both buns and wraps with the same recipe, divide the yolk mixture up and add ½ the quantity called for in the above recipe to the half being used for the wraps. Sift in glucomannan or xanthan and stir very fast to avoid lumps! Once well incorporated, split the whipped egg whites and fold half into the egg yolks being purposed for the buns and the other half into the egg yolk portion being purposed to make wraps. (That portion now contains the glucomannan or xanthan gum!)

(Wrap Note - Although not necessary, I find that including 2 Tbsp of Coconut Flour into the wraps helps texture and flexibility of the wraps! You should try them with and without the coconut flour and see which ones you prefer. You will need to adjust the carb counts and nutritional information if adding the coconut flour.)

Preheat oven to 325°. Line baking sheet and with parchment paper or aluminum foil and set aside.

If making hot dog or sandwich rolls, or if you want a few extra tall hamburger buns, make your own molds using non-stick aluminum foil. I use my Pampered Chef spray bottle with the rounded dome lid to mold buns like hot dog buns! But you can use anything.

Use a jar of capers or olives, or a spice bottle, anything you can think of, who said corners can’t be square? Pick a mold slightly larger than the size you want for the finished rolls. These rolls tend to shrink as they cool by about 20%.

(Note on shaping: Make sure to make 2 molds per sheet of aluminum foil so they don’t fall over. Two will create a more steady shape and will retain a curve easier. )

If using non-stick aluminum foil, no need to spray molds with cooking spray. If using regular aluminum foil, then spray molds with olive oil spray and set aside on baking sheets. (But you should really use the non-stick aluminum foil…)

Grate mozzarella cheese.

Blend cottage cheese with a small food processor until smooth.

Measure out coconut flour (if using) and then sift it into a small bowl. Add pork rind flour, protein powder, salt, garlic and onion powders and mix to combine.

Separate egg yolks from whites and place into two very clean, oil free pans.

Add cheeses and dry ingredients to the bowl with the yolks and set aside. You will beat this after whipping the egg whites – unless you want to thoroughly wash your beaters in between! (Remember the beaters used for the egg white must be scrupulously clean and dry before beating the whites.)

Beat egg whites to the foamy stage and then add cream of tartar. Beat whites to a hard peak stage. Go look at the instructions in the Basic Rev Roll technique post if you have any doubts about whether you’ve whipped them enough. When they are ready, the whites will no longer move in the bowl. No slippin’ or slidin’ for those egg whites!

Blend egg yolk mixture for 2-3 minutes. The yolk mixture is ready when they change to a lemony color and when the lumps of shredded cheese are mostly gone. It doesn’t have to be perfect! We all have a few lumps here or there!

Fold the whites into the yolk in 3 additions. The first one loosens the yolk mixture and the other two are to add volume so don’t overwork!

Spoon the mixture into bun molds. About 3 heaping soup spoons/tablespoons or a generous ¼-3/8 cup of batter will work.

Sprinkle buns with sesame or poppy seeds, or rehydrated minced onions – whatever you want, add fresh herbs or cracked pepper and coarse sea salt! Use your imagination and get playful! You’ll get about 8-10 good sized buns depending on how big you made your molds.

If you would prefer, you can use this same batter to make wraps. Place ¼ c of batter on parchment or silicone baking mat. Using an offset spatula, spread batter into a long oval about 1/8” thick. Try to keep it level. You should be able to fit 3 per mat, but don’t crowd them. You should get about 10 wraps out of the batter.

I like to split it up! Make some buns and make some wraps too! That way I have both on hand and ready for whatever whim my twisted little brain cooks up.

Bake rolls at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and done throughout. If using two baking sheets, rotate the pans between the two racks of your oven at the 17minute mark!

Bake wraps for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool 2 minutes. Gently release wraps from silicone mat or parchment and flip over so the underside is now facing up. Return to the oven and cook another 2 minutes.

Alternate Cooking Method for Wraps - Tear individual squares of parchment. Spread a spoon of batter onto parchment an 1/8” thick. Microwave for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and flip top side down and parchment paper up into a hot non-stick skillet. Fry like a tortilla for about a minute. Peel off parchment and flip wrap in the pan. Let it get a tiny bit brown on each side. Let cool then store in an airtight bag. Bag will soften the wrap and allow it to get flexible.

Remove from oven when each of the batches is done and cool on a wire rack.

Cool completely before cutting rolls or attempting to bend wraps/flatbreads.

These are best made hours before or even up to 4 days ahead. Store the buns and wraps in an air tight bag or container in your refrigerator. They become soft and sturdier with age, resisting tears and breaking.

So go ahead! Hold that hotdog in your hot little low carbing hand!!!

I have more pics on the blog about how to make the molds.

Last edited by SusieT : Mon, May-14-12 at 14:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 16:59

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

They sure look good,Why didn't I think of that,?,lol
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Ha! I know right? It only took me 12 years to think of this!!! *snort* It's revolutionized my baking, that's for sure!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 19:52

Plan: Atkins (old plan)
Stats: 272/225/165 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

what is protein powder? you want to make some and sell them online? haha...are they good?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 20:32

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

ooh this looks awesome!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-22-12, 12:34

Plan: God's Will Be Done
Stats: 306/189/162 Female 5'7
BF:Morris Chestnut
Progress: 81%

great idea! i gotta give this a try.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-22-12, 13:34
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Marking my place so I don't lose this! Thanks for posting SusieT!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-30-12, 09:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

Crazy! After more than 2 years of LCing I've never made the Revolutionary Roll and this post is about to change that. Thanks so much for this Evolution, it will definitely become a staple around this place.