Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#226   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/170/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I hate to break the bad news, but...

Some WEIRDOS (ok...ME!) lose weight in their FEET. Yup....lost a half size. It was just enough of a loss for me not to fit in to my brand new leather FILA tennis shoes and my new pair of hiking boots. They became lose enough to cause blisters and now I can't wear them anymore.

Anyone need 2 slightly used pair of size 11's?

Me too! My sister was the first to notice. She walked up behind me one day and said, "Buy yourself some smaller shoes. Your feet are getting skinny". I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to hit the Shoe Pavilion on my next shopping trip.

Sponsored Links
  #227   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 22:10
Registered Member

BF:

Wow Pennink--
I love this thread. I had no idea it existed (being new I’m not quite savvy with the searches). Thanks for the link. It’s very helpful. How would I have found it if you hadn’t found mine to direct me here?

#228   ^
Old Sun, Sep-30-07, 00:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
I really hate running shoes. I will buy the little white simple ones (H&M has them now) like we wore in the 60s before Adidas made them all chunky. Jeans make most people look hefty.

Wear DARK jeans, watch how high or low they go (too high mom jeans, too low skank). I would suggest nice shoes even pointed toe shoes with jeans to make your legs look longer.

What about wearing straight-leg jeans when you have a big butt? Is that a fashion don't?

#229   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:32

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I know this is an old thread but I really some help. DH and I have been invited to a private concert next weekend. I'm told that "everybody who's anybody" will be there and that it's formal--tux for me, if possible.

DH has no problem but I really have nothing to wear. What would be considered appropriate for such an event? We both need to make a good impression.

Thanks ever so much for any advice.
  #230   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:45

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while!

Are you an apple shape or pear?
  #231   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:49
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
I know this is an old thread but I really some help. DH and I have been invited to a private concert next weekend. I'm told that "everybody who's anybody" will be there and that it's formal--tux for me, if possible.

DH has no problem but I really have nothing to wear. What would be considered appropriate for such an event? We both need to make a good impression.

Thanks ever so much for any advice.

Hi there JAnn,

Long time no talk And I still love this thread too..

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that Dillard's really has a good selection of all kinds of evening/formal wear in all manner of sizes at what I consider to be pretty reasonable prices.

I think the first thing is to think of what you'd be comfortable in. For instance, when I was recently looking for some dressier clothes, I realized that I personally wasn't going to feel comfortable in a strapless or sleeveless dress (only because I'm self-conscious about my flabby upper arms). This helped me narrow down my choices.

There's a whole section on the Dillard's website in their 'special occasion' area that's got nothing but dressy separates - which is kind of nice if you're like me in that you don't necessarily want a ballgown type thing.

Here, take a look:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/Ende...rvlet?N=1604010

And here's their entire 'special occasion' section, just to give you a few ideas:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/Ende...rvlet?N=1000894

When's the concert?

I'm thinking you might also want to consider buying something that's somewhat versatile in that you can wear it almost year-round, in case you need to go to something fancy again like this. Plus, you also want something that will not go out of style in one season or anything.

What about colour? What colours do you like on yourself?

Personally, and I hope this doesn't sound boring - but I love midnight blue as a dress-up colour. It's just as dramatic and elegant as black, but it's better when you don't want black - ie. if there's a wedding to go to or it's summer and black is too dark or whatever. I like midnight blue because to me, it seems like a year-round colour. If you pick a nice material - a seasonless 'cool wool' material or something that isn't too hot or too lightweight...you'll have a winner.

Anyway, I'm glad you brought this thread up again - I really enjoy it.

Sara
PS - editing to add: I just did a search on the Dillard's website for all their 'special occasion' outfits in the plus section too:

http://www.dillards.com/endeca/Ende...rvlet?N=1003100

Last edited by Citruskiss : Sat, Mar-29-08 at 12:58.
  #232   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 12:54
I've decided

Here's another site you could look at:

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/ca...TEGORY_SEQ_1159
  #233   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:08

Thanks for the links, Sara. I know that it has been a long winter. I've gained my weight back and felt so bummed that I didn't want to talk to anybody! Hopefully I'm back on track but it sure doesn't help for next weekend. I have some fabulous clothes that would work if I was about 30 lbs less!

I am a tall redhead so I like the browns. After looking at the fashions on the links you gave me I think that just about anything goes. I may have some fabric that my sis got for me about a year ago that would work. It's cream with small (about 1/4 in.) polka dots that should work. I think it may be polyester or rayon (I have to find it). I can't afford to buy anything right now except some shoes.

Midnight blue is a beautiful color but I just can't wear it. I think I will try to find a pattern similar to the top row in the first link you gave me. It should be nice enough for the event and yet I would feel comfortable in it.

Thanks--and I will be back online more often.
  #234   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:11
I've decided

Well, I think it's fabulous that you can sew! I can't sew a thing to save my life, and am envious of those who can.

Glad the links provided some inspiration in terms of what kinds of patterns to look for and so on.

I'm looking forward to hearing what pennink has to say about this too.
  #235   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Wow, haven't seen this thread in a while!

Are you an apple shape or pear?
Sorry I didn't see your response under Sara's. I'm definitely an apple! I've gained 27 lbs this winter and most of it's in the waist!

Last edited by JAnn : Sat, Mar-29-08 at 13:38.
  #236   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-08, 15:44

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I answered you in the Everything else thread!

(don't worry Atkins will get that 27 outta there!)
  #237   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-08, 12:59

Thanks for your help. It appears there are a lot of newbies here that might enjoy this thread.
  #238   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 14:44

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

love this thread.

Last edited by mer23 : Tue, Apr-29-08 at 14:52.
  #239   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 14:49

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

love this thread.
Haven't read the whole thing, but lots of it.
I've always been a 'dresser-up', and I love transforming...you know like Thursday: lunching out at home looking like an old bag, Friday:diva time

P.s those shawls are paSHmina. not pagmina. Sorry
  #240   ^
Old Sat, May-17-08, 17:25

Stats: 295/230/150 Female 5 ft. 7 in.
BF:
Progress: 45%

When I lose my weight I am going to change my entire look. I am gradually doing it now even with me being over weight with a new hair style and color, getting rid of the greay. I am buying newer up dated clothing and wearing open toes shoes to expose my pretty painted toe nails. They are one of my good feathers so I going to use that for my good. I have been changing my make up to and just that makes me look younger and fresher.
By the time I do lose my weight, which I will do, I am going to be a 62 year old knock out.