Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 07:19

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 09:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Bob, I had a similar experience with chickens (for eating) many years ago. Our budget was slowly expanding, and I had graduated to buying "somewhat better" chickens, rather than "really cheap". Had been buying these for a couple of years, but one day the store was out of them, but we were planning chicken for that evening's dinner so I bought a different inferior, brand. Even my husband noticed the difference in flavor (a man not renowned for his discerning taste). With the amount of rosemary I use with roast chicken you wouldn't think anyone would notice, but we both did. I have only moved up the quality scale with chicken, and most other things, since then, never back down. I would rather eat better quality, though perhaps less often.

Can you share brands-- pm if necessary.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 09:28

BF:

Several Islands of the Keys have feral chickens. Cant remember the name of them.

Like I sais my birds are not totally on their own-- fencing limits the access of many predators. And only having a few types, the fencing stops most. Having the preserve next door keeps those wild animals well fed. And my birds have several roosters that are ever vigilant--- the boys stay on alert watching. Only one eats at a time, a co-ordinated effort. At night they come to the barn for the night-- the barn they grew up in. After hatching, they are kept in a stall with lots of food and water and a fierce momma.

I love that the girls come back to that stall to lay their eggs.

Yesterday I made up a chicken egg and a turkey egg. The turkeys are penned, and their food is corn and soy based-- and the eggs look VERY pale. WOndering what I can do to change their feed for better eggs.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 10:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I love that the girls come back to that stall to lay their eggs.

You're lucky - my hens aren't that bright. Too often they hide & I don't know where they are until they bring the chicks around. Got lucky with the latest broody hen - she decided to stay in the coop. So much easier! As well as a better chance of surviving.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 10:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
You're lucky - my hens aren't that bright. Too often they hide & I don't know where they are until they bring the chicks around. Got lucky with the latest broody hen - she decided to stay in the coop. So much easier! As well as a better chance of surviving.

My girls will go off and hide, then show up with chicks! My boys and I work hard to catch all the chicks and the mom--- and let her raise them in that stall. Then the babies learn that is home and come back to roost as young adults.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 15:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Can you share brands-- pm if necessary.

Sorry, I can't. This was when we still lived in the SF Bay Area, and we have been in Oregon now for 17 years. Now I get my eating chickens from a local farmer at the farmers' market.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 14:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Sorry, I can't. This was when we still lived in the SF Bay Area, and we have been in Oregon now for 17 years. Now I get my eating chickens from a local farmer at the farmers' market.

Ok. Thanks for responding.