Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Coffee, help

yesterday was my first day of induction and went all day without coffee or diet coke. Which before I would have had 3 or 4 cups of coffee, and two diet cokes throughout the day. I had such a headache at noon and it only got worse, but I stuck to it and stayed away. By night time my headache was even worse and the fatigue...I couldn't even move. I was in bed by 9:00 last night. Please tell me if I can have at least one cup of coffee in the morning. How much damage will it do on induction? I did the ketostix twice yesterday and I am at the second one to the last. Almost dark purple. OH yea, I did take an aleve and two advil yesteday, but nothing worked. If I can cut back on something else and drink coffee will that help? I jsut dont want to mess this up, I am doing so well, and if coffee is THAT bad then I wont drink it, but I cant go on with the headaches. I usually have headaches on a daily basis anyway, which I am getting checked out next week, but this headache was BAD! Thank You!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:26

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

If you can continue to go with out it.

The headaches will fade in 48 hours. You are just going through withdrawals.

Caffiene can stall you, it can trigger insulin release, it does dehydrate you. So if you can go one more day the hard part is over with
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Texas, what you're experiecing is both caffeine w/drawal and carb w/drawal. It is entirely likely that if you continued to drink your coffee you'd still feel like this The good news is that this only lasts a few days.

You can help deal with it by making sure that you are well hydrated (drink that water - at least 64 oz, the bare minimum) and that you are taking some supplements and minerals along with a good multi vitamin. LCing is a natural diuretic, along with the water you lose you also lose electrolytes that will make you feel fatigued, headachey and run down. Usually taking some potassium, cal/mag and a good multi will make a world of difference.

Caffeine is not part of Atkins - that being said, many people do still drink it. The big problem with caffeine is that it is also a diuretic - something you definitely do not want while LCing - it would only compound the effect of your new diet.

The darkness of your keto stix leads me to believe that part of why you feel this way is dehydration - darker usually indicates insufficient water intake.

You can read more about what vitamins you need and in what doses HERE

That link came from a thread in this forum called "Hot Links!" - have a look through it, you'll find discussions on all kinds of topics that will be relevant to you right now.

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 06:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Sugar Busters
Stats: 196/163.5/150
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks so much for your prompt replies. I drank lots of water yesterday, but I know I did not drink enough. Thanks for the tips link, I will have a look at it. Well, I guess if I can just get thru these first few days...Then I will be ok. I've got to just put the coffee pot away, although my husband gets horrible migraines if he does not have at least one cup a day. And then he is a huge mess. hee. Thanks for the support!