Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 18:20

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%

Have been reconsidering things today and a new idea has emerged from my little brain. What if I were to build my exercise life around my WEIGHT LIFTING (rather than my aerobics as I've been doing), lifting every other, or almost every other day, and just let the aerobics and yoga fall into place where they will. I'm thinking this might be good because of all the emphasis I've been reading about on the health benefits of weight lifting. Some authorities (mainly the Eades) consider it to be the most effective and beneficial form of exercise. I'm still thinking about it, but I'm drawn to this notion. I'm wary of trying to become too compulsive, so I would pump that iron seriously, and be kind of relaxed about everything else.

Missydog
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 12:05

BF:

This morning was a yoga morning, since it's too soon to lift again. I did 45 minutes of yoga and it felt pretty good. Also did a fair amount of the more difficult, muscle-building poses. The soreness from my weight workout of yesterday is almost completely gone, so I'm encouraged that my muscles are bouncing back after the months-long hiatus I've had from weight lifting. However, I now have NEW sore muscles in my legs from the yoga session of this morning.

Last edited by missydog : Tue, Nov-20-01 at 16:23.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 10:52

BF:

Did another 35-minute weight lifting session, right on schedule. This means I don't have to lift on Thanksgiving Day. I hope I get in some more aerobic workouts this week. I printed out the LONG thread by TrainerDan called CKD101. I'm going to read it today and consider if it's something I might be able to do between Thanksgiving and Christmas, to keep me out of trouble. Hmm...am I out of my mind? And I LIKE to work out on weekends-- it's my best time. Don't know how it would work, but I'm going to look into it.

Missydog
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:10

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

hi missydog!
you are doing so great! we seem to be on a similar wave length regarding exercise and strength training. i've looked at ckd, but for me, weekends are my best time for working out.
anyway, reason for posting... are you doing a yoga tape, or going to a class? i'm considering this and maybe a kickboxing program, but i'm not sure if i want to fork out the money for classes, and then there is always the issue of what to do with the kids when i'm in a class.
well, just wondering,
brenda
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 11:18

BF:

Brenda,

I'm with you about exercising on weekends. It's much less rushed than during the week, for me anyway. As for the yoga, I went to classes once or twice a week for about six months (the classes were 90 minutes in length). I ended up learning so much that I can use at home and that's where I do it most of the time now. Class is always better-- more difficult and challenging because you're doing the poses to someone else's call instead of at your own pace at home. So it's good to do a class now and then (wish I'd follow my own advice!), but if you know enough you can do very well on your own at home. I've never tried a tape in my life so can't comment on that. Hope this is helpful.

Missydog
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 15:26

BF:

Well, I just read Dan's entire thread on CKD over my lunch break, and it is scary! I don't think I could ever work up to an hour-plus of aerobic exercise for five days straight!! And we haven't even talked about the lifting yet!! I mean, I have to sleep, and go to work, too. But reading this thread makes me feel I'm not doing very much, when in fact, I may be doing very well. My hat's off to whover can do this and make it work!

Maybe I can do a modified CKD, since I'm so OLD. It would be a stretch for me to do 30 minutes cardio 5 days a week, so maybe I could start with that and also fit in three weight lifting sessions, and some yoga here and there for flexibility. It would be a wonderful way to challenge myself between Thanksgiving and Christmas, as I've said. Kind of like my Christmas present to myself. But I would shift the days of the week around so I'm carbing up on Thursday-Friday and then working out Saturday-Wednesday. It's easier on my schedule, not to mention my mind!

In the meantime, I have a date tomorrow with my cousin to do a 90-minute yoga class in the morning and then go out for coffee. It's about the only way we ever manage to get together.

Missydog

Last edited by missydog : Wed, Nov-21-01 at 16:29.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-01, 16:46

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default that works!

Quote:
But I would shift the days of the week around so I'm carbing up on Thursday-Friday and then working out Saturday-Wednesday. It's easier on my schedule, not to mention my mind!

This is completely acceptable. As long as you start the carb up after your workouts on Wednesday afternoon/evening .... carb up all day Thursday and Friday, then drop back to low carbs and do AM cardio on an empty stomach Saturday morning and resistance training later on Saturday you will be fine.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-01, 10:23

BF:
Default THE BIG DAY

Well, this morning was the big kick-off of my CKD regime that I'm going to do for the next 30 days or so until Christmas. My Christmas present to myself. I started this morning with a 30-minute solid jogging workout at a local college track. That's already 50% more than I had been doing, but I found it was not all that difficult to increase my time. The real challenge was staving off the boredom that tends to creep into the workout. But even the boredom wasn't so bad this morning. I bet the ease of this workout had to do with my being WELL carbed up after two days of holiday eating (LOL)! Tonight I'll be getting busy with the weights. I'm looking forward to it. I'll be back a little later to post my progress.

Later: Well, my first day is a success. I ate a total of 15 carbs and 1300 calories. It really feels good after stuffing my face for the last few days. And I lifted weights for 35 minutes, which didn't seem like long. I'll probably be adding some exercises to lengthen the workout. But what I did today was quite good. I bought a new curling bar and some different weights for it. I used it on squats, chest press, upright row, and curls. I felt like a kid with a new toy!

And now, onward to tomorrow morning and my next aerobic workout. There's a storm overhead right now and there's "100% chance" of rain tomorrow, but I don't care. I've set out to do this and I'm going to do it! Cowabunga!

Last edited by missydog : Sat, Nov-24-01 at 19:24.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 19:03

BF:

Well, here I am in the evening of Day Two of my CKD. I had quite a bit of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) when I woke up but found I was still able to do my 30 minutes of cardio without too much problem. My cardiovascular system is very strong. My heart and lungs have no problem with the cardio, but my poor musculo-skeletal system tires easily. I'm wondering if this situation will improve with time and more working out. I know I'm not performing at the level I was at ten years ago. I had a lot of aches and pains all day and it started to get me down and make me wonder how I'll be able to complete this CKD project. But I took a good three-hour nap and felt quite a bit better. Also, I splurged and bought myself a portable CD player with fanny pack carrying case so I can listen to my favorite CD's when I jog. Maybe that will make the time go by a bit faster. I just have so many toys!

Missydog
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 21:32

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default one word ...

ALEVE.

Seriously though, using ALEVE will help you get through this first stage of weight training soreness that you are going through.

Congratulations on getting through the first two days ... no one said the CKD's were fun, but they work.

As for the soreness, I learned a long time ago to live with a heat pack (after the first day soreness), some sort of pain reliever (ALEVE is my weapon of choice) ... and the benefits of massage are too numerous to list here.

I know all too well that this whole diet and exercise thing sometimes feels like it's own full-time job ... but just remind yourself that if it were easy to get your body the way you want it, then everyone would be in killer shape.

Plus, the compliments and stares you get from people who haven't seen you in months kinda make it all just that much sweeter.

Keep at it Missy ... you're doing great.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 23:28

BF:
Default Thanks, Dan

Dan,

Thanks so much for the encouragement-- it means a lot. And thanks for all the posting you've done here (it's what's gotten me into this mess I'm in now, LOL)!

Missydog
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-01, 21:44

BF:
Default Third day and counting

This is Day Three of my CKD. Did a good 30-minute aerobic session at the UCLA track. All kinds of interesting people were out there and it was kind of fun. And this track is rubberized so that means I can safely jog on it in the rain. Then this evening I lifted weights. While I'm sure I'll never stop working on my mental attitude and my feelings about all this working out, I'm starting to feel more encouraged that I have a chance of succeeding at this. I can only take it one day at a time, though.

Missydog
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 10:47

BF:

Yes, it's true. Today is Day Four of my CKD and I've been in ketosis now for about three and a half days. My cardio workout this morning was a little harder than it's been in the last few days and I'm not sure if it's the ketosis or some other (psychological) factor (since I slept poorly last night). Anyway, I still got through it just fine. It just FELT harder. Since I lifted weights last night I expected to be sore just the way I was on the first couple of days of this regime, but that's not what's happened. I don't have debilitating soreness today. Just one more day of all this working out and then I get to carb up and take two days off from exercise. I'll be interested to see how I feel about starting out all over again on the next round of workouts. Will I feel empowered by the carbs and the rest, or what? Again, I can't say often enough what a day-by-day, one-day-at-a-time kind of effort this is. I try not to think too far ahead, and I CERTAINLY don't weigh myself or monitor the little incremental changes in my weight. I just don't want that kind of compulsiveness to be a part of my experience for the next month.

Missydog
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:07

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default you go, dog!!

just wanted to let you know i've been reading your progress, and i am impressed! you are doing such a great job.
i can relate about not weighing in. i think i'll do a survey soon about :which disorder do you have.?: i think 80% of us are ocd.!!
happy eating on your carb up days!
brenda
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:15

BF:

Dear Joyful,

Thanks for your post. It's always nice to know people out there are listening. I agree with you about the number people who have OCD (LOL)!

Missydog