Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 04:54

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Wearbear. This is the most stressful time of year and here is a little releif. Works everytime.Breath in thru nose, and say "I am...." then exhale thru mouth and say ,"peace....."

I use this ALOT.

I can imagine! I do something similar on my way to work. I use OOOOMMMM which also improves my singing voice by exercising the diaphragm muscle.

The thing that freaked me out so much, and led to me sharing here, is that the more I research, the more frightening this latest generation of prescription drugs becomes.

The side effects can be permanent. And doctors never discuss them! I find that shocking.

There is a great divide in medical care right now. Acute and trauma? Never been better. Chronic illness they don't understand? Possibly never been worse. Because their treatments are themselves dangerous.

Since my issue is autoimmune, I've researched the usual treatments and even endured a few of them, like increasing levels of steroids. Between my retired GP who had a healthy wariness of steroids and online exploration, it was the steroids in the Flonase that made me wary, though I'd turned down so many options by that time I figured "nose spray, that should be okay." Finding out what I was risking shut that optimism down.

Dr. Jack Kruse's concept of Cortisol Resistance was like a spotlight in a dark room. It explained everything. By forcing cortisol in the cells with steroids, it worked; but with the same dangers as injecting more insulin to overcome insulin resistance. In both cases, it was overproduction of the hormone which is causing the problem. People have to lower that hormone production.

With cortisol, it's about lowering stress. I had to change my living situation, my job duties, and even my leisure activities. (Kept the husband ) I'm back on daily progesterone. It's all working, though it's still a slog.

When the steroids stop working, now we're at the immune suppression tactic. It's all wrong. The immune system isn't the problem! Stress overproduces cortisol, which shuts down digestion, increases blood clotting, rebalances all the hormones for running from the tiger. This is usually a short term problem, either way But it also shuts down the immune system, because you don't need it if it's a tiger threat.

My stress never slackened until I discovered what was causing it. I needed to stop doing stressful duties as a living, and fortunately I moved through three different job titles until my present one is about as good as I can do with this company. I dipped into my "retirement" to expand my living space, and my cat business is doing better all the time. That's going to be my real retirement if all goes well.

I did all this, instead of the drugs, because while they seem like miracles, they have a very very dark side. They act like the immune system is the problem, when it's really that the immune system is already struggling to function. By shutting it down, they leave a person vulnerable to suddenly dying a bizarre and horrible death, similar to the victims in the early years of the AIDS crisis.

Why they don't make this connection I don't know. They are so focused on the wrong theory and expensive drugs which act on their theory that they just shrug their shoulders at "side effects."

Even ones that kill.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 08:10

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

My two cents. I have chronic stuffy and/or drippy sinuses. Last time I looked for help on this (before an airplane trip) my doc prescribed an OTC nasal spray by the ingredient, not the brand. NOT Flonase, she said. The pharmacist guided me to cheapest and most effective alternative in line with my doc's advice.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 10:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes, when it took a prescription to get fluci-blah -blah, we never got Flonase, but a knockoff. Still the same chemical. The good and the bad.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-19, 14:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Ha, I just threw away multiple boxes of free meds to knock out my immune system from 2 years ago. I looked it up, can't remember the name, thought I should save a box for reference but what for, it's garbage. God only knows what I would have caught as far as viruses or infections because of lowered immune system. All for a gut problem which came from stress and too much fiber NOT an over reactive immune system.
But that pharmaceutical salesman drops by with cases of this crap for the doctor to give out. They bring big catered lunches to the offices to bribe the doctors too!
This doctor I looked up and he is receiving $80,000 from 3-4 drug companies....Yes!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-19, 09:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Ha, I just threw away multiple boxes of free meds to knock out my immune system from 2 years ago. I looked it up, can't remember the name, thought I should save a box for reference but what for, it's garbage. God only knows what I would have caught as far as viruses or infections because of lowered immune system. All for a gut problem which came from stress and too much fiber NOT an over reactive immune system.
But that pharmaceutical salesman drops by with cases of this crap for the doctor to give out. They bring big catered lunches to the offices to bribe the doctors too!
This doctor I looked up and he is receiving $80,000 from 3-4 drug companies....Yes!
That's what we get for stubbornly continuing with this for-profit medical system in the USA. It's also the reason why all the industrialized countries are paying less than half what we pay for health and live longer, healthier lives.

I like the xlear because of the ingredients, xylitol, purified water, salt, and grapefruit seed extract. Xlear contains no Phenylcarbinol or Benzalkonium or Chloride or Oxymetazoline or Pseudoephedrine, which I have no idea what they will do to you if taken continuously.

I had a friend who was addicted to Afrin (oxymetazoline hydrochloride) and couldn't breath through his nose without it. It took over 6 months to break the addiction and be able to breathe through his nose again.

I used to use a neti pot mixing my own salt, baking soda, and xylitol but the formula requires distilled water, and I had to distill it myself. The distilled water you buy in the plastic jugs at the store has micro-plastics dissolved in it.

The xlear works almost as well and I don't need my distiller anymore.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 05:31

BF:

I don't normally have any sinus issues. I just had to get on top of this bug after a HELLISH year where DH nearly died. We finally have a good medical situation going after our beloved GP retired, so he's back on track again.

I've settled into a less-stress situation moving forward, I just am so run down from months of effort. This morning I finally feel more energy, and I have only one more week of work until holiday break.

Just got to make it through the end of the year... and we have a friend's house party to look forward to early in the next one. That works better for both DH and myself: more relaxed, less noise, and less exposure to out of town germs!
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 13:44

BF:

Wow WereBear, I didn't know your DH was that sick. Sorry to hear that, and glad he is back on track now, for you and for him!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 14:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WB, stick to your guns.....you actually know FAR more than the MDs.

Ads on TV are mostly autoimmune drugs. WHY would I want to decrease my body's ability to protect itself? Fixing the underlying cause is how holistic healers approach chronic disease.

Which means we are on our own with the assistance of Dr Google.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 16:45

BF:

Fortunately Dr Google is always on call!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 17:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Ads on TV are mostly autoimmune drugs. WHY would I want to decrease my body's ability to protect itself?

Yes and I am so sick of these ads, one after another. DH and I laugh about them how ridiculous they are.

Prednisone is handed out like candy just for a head cold or anything else, these days.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-19, 17:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I haven't watched TV since the late 1980s, but I can imagine. I see the ads in magazines and hear them on the radio.

The thing to remember, is they aren't trying to heal you, they are trying to sell you something to boost this quarters profits and keep the stockholders happy.

Ms A is right, fix the problem, not the symptoms.

Hang in the WB and take care of your DH.

Bob
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 08:02

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
About that time I started taking the Iodine. I was happily in shock that the iodine was helping me cough up all of the flem. It worked like magic!! So I began reading my iodine book and apparently in France they have used Iodine for centuries to clear up lungs, even curing phenomena.
The first thing that starts happening is that it thins the mucus and you begin sneezing it out. Then you start coughing it up.

It was like Magic, I kid you not!!

How much iodine did you take, and how often? I've had post-nasal drip most of my life that has me constantly coughing and clearing my throat. Recently I got the bad cold that was going around. It's now gone, but the phlegm is now worse than ever. If I can clear this up with iodine, I'd be thrilled!

EDITED TO ADD: Never mind! When I saw your post I immediately responded with the quote. Then I read further in the thread and found my answer. Thanks!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 08:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I take 2-Iodoral 12.5mg with Selenium 20mcg in the am and again in the pm.

But I did it gradually starting with one in the am with a selenium for a couple of weeks then added 1 in pm. Then a couple of weeks later I went to 2 in the am and 1 in the pm and finally 2 at am and 2 at pm.

Sorry, me again. I do have one more question. Is there a reason you started with just one Iodoral and then increased from there? Are there side effects if you take too much too soon?

Also, the standard dose for selenium seems to be 200 mcg, not 20 mcg. Is that what you meant?

Finally, I see how you ramped up the iodine, but the selenium stayed at one capsule morning and night, never going up to two capsules at once. Correct?

Do you think liquid iodine drops are as effective as the Iodoral tablets? I have a hard time swallowing tablets that large.

Last edited by BawdyWench : Wed, Jan-15-20 at 08:44.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 09:12

BF:

Quote:
Prednisone is handed out like candy just for a head cold or anything else, these days.

I recently heard about a case that has increased my caution.

A friend of a friend has macular degeneration, which is considered autoimmune. I know they inject immune-suppressing drugs, including steroids, to combat the inflammation. But in this case, the man woke up legally blind. And it's not getting better.

If his body was fighting off some kind of infection or other attack, the immune-suppressing drug stopped that. If they recognized this, they could test, or give antibiotics in case, like in surgery: something! Instead, I'm sure they never told this man about this possibility.

This side effect is considered "rare" and they dismiss it!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 11:18

BF:

That's the thing about prednisone and other much stronger drugs they're using now. They want to mask the root cause just to sell some drugs that probably shouldn't be used on anyone except transplant patients.