Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-19, 16:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Oh, yes, bet lemon is good on mackerel as it has a strong oily flavor. The tomato pico de gallo is a bright note with a good mix of veggies.

Canning process softens all foods...increases your options..
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 07:58

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I prefer the taste but fresh or frozen salmon can be pricey, while wild caught salmon is available canned and can be far less expensive. Some options include the skin (collagen protein) and soft edible bones, so more nutrients, too.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 09:27

BF:

picked up a can of wild caught salmon on sale $5, 14oz. 50% off. At $10 a can, more expensive than previously frozen.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 09:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Here wild-caught frozen salmon is on sale periodically, so I always stock up then. The taste & texture is much better than any canned salmon I've ever tried (and I've tried them all). I often steam it from frozen.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Oct-14-19, 16:15

BF:

Y'all may already know this, that any canned salmon labeled "Alaskan" is wild caught because Alaskan salmon is not allowed to be farmed. It may not say wild caught but is, so that might possibly broaden some canned options. The dollar store near us used to have cans of it but now now sells a skin and bone free brand, still Alaskan wild stuff though, for a buck. They also have four ounce pieces frozen, but it contains a bit of additives (preservatives?) so I'm leery of it.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 00:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I also love mackerel, which has a high level of brain nutrients. Tasty, too.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 07:19
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Based on this article I got Astaxanthin (4 mg) and took my first dose yesterday. Everything I've eaten since then has made me nauseous. My stomach is very "delicate" at the best of times, and it hates it when I try new supplements.

Has anybody else tried the supplement? This is the NOW brand which claims it's made with Zanthin:
Quote:
Zanthin®​ Natural Astaxanthin is manufactured in Florida using Chilean microalgae from a remote, pristine environment that naturally produces a very high astaxanthin content.

Valensa offers the best stability and shelf life (up to 7 years) available due to a unique patented extraction process (Deep Extract® ​high pressure supercritical CO2​) and Peroxidation Blocker Stabilization technology (O2​B®​).

Zanthin®​ Natural Astaxanthin is clinically substantiated for Joint Health with additional proprietary patents for Heart and Eye health
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 07:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Y'all may already know this, that any canned salmon labeled "Alaskan" is wild caught because Alaskan salmon is not allowed to be farmed. It may not say wild caught but is, so that might possibly broaden some canned options. The dollar store near us used to have cans of it but now now sells a skin and bone free brand, still Alaskan wild stuff though, for a buck. They also have four ounce pieces frozen, but it contains a bit of additives (preservatives?) so I'm leery of it.

good to know

wild caught can be sustainable too
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 11:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I usually buy a pound of salmon each week, makes about 3-4 meals for me. The easiest way to prepare it is to pre-heat the oven to 400'. Then sprinkle your sammy with chili-lime powder and salt, or chili-lime powder and Santa Maria seasoning. Yum! Cook for about 20 minutes. I use it cold on salads or hot with a nice veg side.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

#26   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 14:43

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
He prescribes 4-6oz of grilled salmon three times a day

Am I reading this right? He wants you to eat 4-6 ounces of salmon for every meal? So nothing but salmon?
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 16:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

As a child and young adult the only fin fish (as opposed to shell fish) that I would willingly eat was salmon; I just didn't like any others. I've grown out of that, but salmon is still my favorite. Luckily, in the Pacific Northwest it's not hard to find. Unfortunately neither my DH nor I have any interest in fishing so we are dependent on buying it from others. :-)
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 16:15

BF:

His diet prescribes other foods along with the salmon:
Quote:
He prescribes 4-6oz of grilled salmon three times a day, with porridge and melon or berries at breakfast, a green salad or leafy greens and more melon or kiwi fruit at lunch, then the same for dinner, with steamed vegetables. A bedtime snack of an apple, turkey breast or hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds is allowed. Any form of sugar is strictly forbidden. The low-GI fruit — berries and cantaloupe melon — is designed to break sugar cravings gently. After this three-day salmon diet (some of his followers do it as much as once a month) Perricone advocates sticking to a low-GI diet full-time, introducing other forms of protein such as tofu, tuna, cod, trout, turkey and goat’s cheese for variety, although he still advocates eating salmon most days.
These other foods (porridge and fruit) are too high in carbohydrate for me to safely eat. They might be alright for someone else with less insulin resistance. I could see myself eating those particular portions of salmon for three days, but I would need additional zero/VLC foods beyond a total of 18 oz of salmon per day to be sufficient.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-19, 16:21
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I don't eat 18oz of any protein in a day. Goodness! That much salmon would break my budget. Also, I hate salmon. LOL Even 18oz of mackerel or tuna every day would make me sick.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 07:49

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
His diet prescribes other foods along with the salmon:

Yes, thanks Zei ...I wasn't clear in my post. I understand that he prescribes other foods, but still - the idea of eating salmon for every meal "most days" sounds ridiculous.