Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

About cheating -- you know, there are folks (mostly weight-training types, I think) who deliberately load up on carbs once a week or so, just prior to an intense workout. (I guess it's a version of the old "carbo loading" that marathoners used to do.)

They seem to think that periodic carb loading, combined with intense exercise, both accelerates fat loss and helps build muscle.

I don't know much about it, apart from having surfed a few pages in this forum, but I think it's called "cyclic ketogenic diet" or something like that . . . .

Maybe I'm irresponsible in posting about something I know almost nothing about -- but go check it out. It's possible that that a "cheat" is not necessarily a "cheat" depending on your point of view. If you find yourself deviating from your LC plan for a day or so, you could always try doing what those folks do (I'm not sure on the details but I believe it involves intense exercise within a few hours) and you might even BENEFIT from your "cheat."

Sadly, the one time I cheated was at a weeding where I had a wee bit too much to drink and not only couldn't exercise that evening, but was sidelined by a hangover the next day as well, so I couldn't exercise so was prevented from doing the experiemnt, myself.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-03, 19:04

Plan: Atkins, Daily Cardio, Some weight training, Pillates & Yoga
Stats: // Female 5'8.5
BF:25.5%
Progress:

Doug: This was just what I wanted to hear!!

Ben & Jerry are two guys I just can't resist especially when my daughter just got a soft ice cream maker we HAD to try out!. It was heaven on this hot hot night.... I surprisingly don't feel terrible ...I did eat my share but happily I feel better than I usually do when I eat the stuff!! It's amazing I don't feel as bloated as I usually do. I do feel
t i r e d tho..! I am going to the gym tomorrow for intense 45 min step class then try to lift a bit. I won't allow myself to beat up on myself partially I think because I am resisting buying a scale.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 04:52
Registered Member

Stats: 190.5/186/150 Female 5'5"
BF:31%
Progress: 11%

Welp, screwed up today. Dont know why I am so weak and why I cant seem to just gut up and make it through my petty little cravings and wants but it all started today when I took a nap and when woke up wanted something sweet (every time I take a nap I usually wake up and immediately want something sweet) and anyway I waltzed into the kitchen and proceeded to eat a half of a poptart then I went to the movies and bought some of the popables snickers to eat at the movies. I just wanted it and didnt care.
Then went to dinner and had Boston Mkt and was going to just eat the chicken and the green beans but NOOOOO, I ended up eating the cornbread and some mashed pot with gravy and some macaroni.

THEN! had some coconut pie for dessert. From the looks of things it doesnt appear that I want this very badly but I really really do. I am just weak and feel like how addict feels about drugs just want it and dont care and there it went.

I am strong during the week and at work and I manage to abstain but then the weekends are a killer for me and I rarely make it.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 12:07

BF:

Don't be so hard on yourself andrea7. We've all been there. And this WOE isn't something that you can "mess up" in a weekend -- it's for your life.

Anyway, maybe one way to combat the cravings would be to plan for them. Have on hand some Atkins' "Endulge" bars, or some frozen blueberries that you can mix with heavy cream.

Also, another thing that works is breaking up your routine. If there are places or habits or times of day that tend to trigger you, try altering your habits and distracting yourself with some other activity. Often you'll find that the "binge time" has passed and you didn't even notice it.

Good luck.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 18:46
Registered Member

Stats: 190.5/186/150 Female 5'5"
BF:31%
Progress: 11%

Good point about habits. I have tried to buy those indulge bars but they just make me want more and more and I would go buy like 5 of them and eat them all at once! sick...anyway just going to keep trying and not give up.
thank you for you reply. it really helps when I log on and see that others are actually there and hearing what I am saying and want to help
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 19:49

BF:

I agree, I find this forum SOOO helpful!

Another thing that helps for emotional eaters is to make a phone call when you're bored, lonely, restless, whatever. It helps if you can call soemone who shares your compulsion. Somehow saying "I am tired and cranky and obsessing about a donut that I just know will help me" allows you to not eat the donut. Or at least it helps me. Sometimes.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Curves/Atkins
Stats: 213/203/155 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:46/??/??
Progress: 17%
Angry What have I done!

Confession time: I had a hard boiled egg for breakfast and didn't feel like much more than that at the time. I picked my son and his friend up from the bus and decided it would be a nice treat to take them to McDonalds for lunch following their first day of JK. This is were I crumbled...I ended up ordering a Quarter Pounder with cheese and a diet coke, not only did I not omit the bun, but I ended up eating most of my son's fries. Idiot, idiot, idiot

I have the urge to just throw in the towel for the rest of the day knowing that I've already screwed it up. However...I will make the rest of my day LC....actually, no carb preferably.

There is no one to blame but me, so now I just have to kick my own a$$ and get on with it.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 13:15

BF:

Oh my goodness, Tracy, don't be so hard on yourself! You will probably find that after a big carb indulgence, when you go back on the plan, your weight will DROP suddenly! I've seen post after post after post about this. Many many people see a "whoosh" after a slip.

Which is not to say you have license to cheat -- obviously the cheats could become easily become a way of life. But one or two here or there isn't going to hurt you and could even help.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 13:15

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

That's right...just get over it! If you cheat, just get past it and go back to lc meals. Actually, you can still go places like that you just have to rip the bun off and forget the fries.. Going out to restaurants at first can be tough especially during induction, but once you get into OWL it gets easier!

Don't worry, you're not the first one that's cheated!!!
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 19:09
Registered Member

Plan: Curves/Atkins
Stats: 213/203/155 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:46/??/??
Progress: 17%

Hi Rhaazz and J.J.,

I'm happy to report that "I'm over it". The only reason I took it so hard is because I have been to these places since starting this WOE, and have managed to resist the temptations, throw away the buns, and order water in the past. But, for some reason...today got the best of me.

Looking back on the situation now, I was a little stressed (the two kids 3 & 4) were being whiney and obnoxious, the place was PACKED and extremely noisy. I had a splitting headache since the time I woke up in the AM and had only had a hard boiled egg up until that time. I don't know...it was still my choice (irregardless of the circumstances), and I have learned from it.

Thanks again for your reply, and you'll be happy to hear that I planned the rest of my day LC. Dinner: Bacon wrapped chicken breast, steamed green beans and a few slices of grilled zucchini.

Cheers, and happy LC'ing!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 03:58

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

Hi again!

It's odd you mentioned headaches. I had headaches when I first started and wondered if they were related. I was very fatigued during the first two weeks and wondered about all these folks (including DH) who were full of energy. Hubby got tons of things done around the house!!

Have a great day!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:51

Stats: 170/169/135 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 3%
Red face

I'm glad I found this thread. I feel like such a failure. I started a Two Week Induction Challenge on the Challenge Board and after one week of doing great I cheated. It will be so humiliating to have to post that on my thread. After being so enthusiastic and cheering everyone who joined up on, I go and mess up.

I can't believe I did that. My DH and I went out of town to visit a friend and I was fine and eating low-carb. Then I came home and after a rushed lunch found that the roast pork I had leftover grossed me out. I couldn't finish it so I ate the salad I had prepared and because I was really hungry ate my afternoon snack which was an ounce of cheese and 5 olives. That didn't fill me up and I was still hungry so I ended up eating a whole bag of microwave popcorn. Then I came home and weighted myself and after 5 days of faithfully doing induction I had GAINED 2 POUNDS!!

I was so discouraged I ate one of my DH's T.V. dinners - full of carbs. I am so ashamed of myself and I am still hungry. The suggestion that OA might help sounds like a good one. I am going to try it because this isn't the first time I have had to go back on induction because I cheated. It is a pattern with me. Thanks for listening to me.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 09:37

BF:

rainopal, maybe you're just not eating enough? You report that you're constantly hungry, and also that a "snack" is one ounce of cheese and five olives --- maybe try eating larger portions more frequently?

Anyway, OA is great for support for the LC lifestyle. It's not officially a LC plan, but everyone in OA talks constantly about how they had to give up simple carbs, and how much better and more alert they feel when they stay away from carbs., so it really supports LC choices. Also you can get a list of phone numbers to call for support when you feel tempted -- I found that really worked for me.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 20:24

Stats: 170/169/135 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 3%

Believe me Rhaazz, I eat plenty. Thanks for the encouragement about OA. Another problem I have is that I hate to cook and I get tired of eating the same thing over and over because I don't try new recipes. I'll just cook what is easiest and quickest.

Guess I have to surrender to the fact that If I want more variety I will have to make the time to cook and prepare new recipes.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%

Yup, cheated!!!

I blew my control today. I ate two BIG slices of pizza and am now feeling bloated and like a big time piggy!!

I do really well for about 4 to 5 weeks then I "Blow the carb Bank"

I know that I can get back to the lo carb WOE after that but.... I just seem to need to break all the rules once in a while.

I use Chromium GTF at 1,000 mg per day to contol my cravings. (I am diabetic). For the most part it seems to help.

I am not looking for sympathy here but...., just needed to "Fess Up"

I will get back on track tomorrow. I always do.

Just nice to confess my so called sins on this forum.

Thanks to anyone who read this confession and understands.

Cheers, AJ