Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Do you exercise?
yes 166 82.18%
no 10 4.95%
sometimes (if sometimes, how often) 26 12.87%
Voters: 202. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Exercise

Do you exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 233/194/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 47%

I try to walk 3 miles a day (48min.) except on some sat. and sundays. I want to work up to at least 4 miles if not more.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:04

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

I walk the treadmill 6 days a week (60 minutes at 3.3mph and 3 incline). And lately, I've been playing basketball every night with some guys - I totaly suck, but its a heck of workout.

#4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

I run 3.5 miles and ride a stationary bike for 30 min (about 10.8 miles) 5-6 days a week. I am a giant sweatball when I am done.

OG
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 353/298.5/199 Male 6'2"
BF:No Idea
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
I am a giant sweatball when I am done.

Same here. Typically I lose 1.5 lbs (sometimes 2 lbs) after my morning treadmill.

Boy do I sweat though.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:42

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

My exercise has been hit or miss, but that's why I went from 127 lbs in October to 143 lbs in May. I WILL NOT sponsor the robotics team again this year - 20+ hours a week with that keeps me out of the gym.

OK, so I have increased my workouts this summer. Currently I'm working out 4-5 times a week. I do 45-60 minutes on resistance machines, concentrating on upper body/abs one day and lower body/back the next.

I also will spend a minimum of 30 minutes (sometimes as much as 60 min) on a treadmill at a minimum walking pace of 4.3 mph. I've been increasing that and starting to work in some jogging at that pace. I used to run (about 5 mph) up to 3 miles at a time at least 3x a week before I tore my ACL in '01. The only thing holding me back now is the "twinging" I get in my upper tibia in the location where the screw was installed when they built me a new ACL.

I also started taking CLA (4 g/day) last week in hopes that it will turn that last stubborn 8 lbs of fat into muscle!

Joan
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:52

Stats: 210/160/130 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Exercise

Hi

When I started this diet 3 weeks ago I was ready! No more excuses for this girl

I go every weekday. My routine varies but I do the same cardio every day.
45 minutes on the treadmill. start off level 10 speed 4.0 then after 20 minutes increase level until I reack level 20. After that I increase speed until 5.0 This is on a hill mode so it really kicks my butt
15 minutes on the cross trainer. I start at level 5 hill mode then work my way up. I am now at level 12. It burns
20 minutes on the bike. A gentle 5 minutes hill mode level 2! Then up level until I get to 10.

I do weights every other day but cardio every day. I think thats' why I have lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. I can't stand being fat anymore. I still hate the cross trainer but I am starting to enjoy everything else.

Happy exercising

Jenny
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 14:55
Registered Member

Stats: 253/241/165 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I walk 5 mornings a week 2-3 miles. 3 times a week now, I've begun some strength training. This includes weights (curls, lifts, etc), I do 100 crunches, and 90 leg kicks (on hands and knees, kick the let up toward the ceiling), I do some wall-pushups, some lunges, and whatever feels right in a 20-minute period.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:06

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

I'll bet you end up with close to 100% in the "Exercise-YES" column...who's going to admit to being a total couch potato?

I exercise, but I'm not sure it counts...I substiture brief sessions on a rowing machine for the back exercises my PT recommended for a lifting injury. That works out to 3-5 minutes of resistance rowing 4-5 times per week. Don't think it's had much effect on my waistline (it isn't supposed to), but my back pain is much improved. I expect I will probably do more exercise as my weight drops and my back improves. It isn't going to be a pretty picture if I drop 100 pounds and have no tone!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 15:59

Stats: 233/197/163 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I utterly HATE exercise while I'm doing it but love the feeling afterwards. I have no access to a gym (which I would love) so instead I dig out my old Jane Fonda workout videos or I 'borrow' my neighbours dog and drag him up the steep hill to the local football field and walk the perimeter of the field 3 times and just this last week, I've JOGGED (didn't even know I COULD jog lol) the perimeter of the football pitch!

If I'm doing the workout at home it's 40 mins aerobics, 20 mins floor work, if I take the dog we take at least an hour, as of this week the kiddos are on school hols so we'll probably spend even more time at the football field and I'm going to try and get in the workout before we go plus tomorrow I'm going to see if my local sports store stocks some 'girly' weights for me to use.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: 00000
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Nope. NO exercise for me. Can't right now...Med reasons. But when I am able to, and I hope that is in several months...I WILL
Looking forward to just being ABLE to!

Best wishes;
Happy Jake
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-03, 20:56

Plan: South Beach 11/8/04
Stats: 235/138/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I work out 5 days a week at the gym. I do 30 + minutes of cardio (treadmill or bike) then 30+ mintues of weight traning. Exercise is the key to successful weight loss
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 00:51

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i brisk walk every morning for 4 to 5 miles.
sometimes (about 3 times a week) i do the same on a night.
weight train twice a week.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:19

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

You guys are crazy exercisers!! I am nooo where near catching up with you yet.. but I will! Currently I'm at 1 mile walks (~25 min) 3-4 times a week and 15-20 minute stationary bike rides on the other days. Always Sunday off.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 22:30
Registered Member

Stats: 140/133/122 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Just starting out, and with a history of bailing after a couple of weeks. So I'm going with "sometimes" until we see where I end up. With one week under my belt, Lotte Berk Method general & abs two days on, one off. So far, so good!

Plus...
Lindy Hop once a week give or take... but that's not exercise, that's just fun that happens to raise my heartrate (and spirits )!