Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 17:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189.5/189.5/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Will SB work for me?

Hi
I've never posted here before although I've been lurking for quite awhile. I'm a 46 year old SAHM. I started eating low carb around 13 years ago, when I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy. Discovering LC was like a revelation to me because I felt so much better than when I used to eat low calorie/low fat. And it worked so well too. In fact after my son was born I weighed 10 lbs less than before I was pregnant. It was at this point that I discovered the Atkins diet and had great success with it. Unfortunately I totally went off the wagon during my second pregnancy, gained everything back, and reached my highest weight of 235. After a few years at this weight I went back to Atkins, but didn't have the same results I had that first time. Over the years I have stuck to a low carb way of eating because I just physically feel better when I eat this way. Then about 5 years ago I had a strange illness that gave me trouble swallowing. For a couple of months I basically couldn't eat and dropped all the way down to 175, the lowest weight I have been since I was in high school. I can't tell you how wonderful that felt!! But, once I started feeling better and was able to eat again the weight began to come back, even though I continued to eat low carb. I had a taste of being thin and I was terrified at the thought of going back to the weight I was, so I started back with Atkins. Sadly, the results were terrible. Although I initially lost a few pounds I stalled out rather quickly and sat there for 3 months. So, I took a break and tried WW. This was a big mistake. I have hypoglycemic tendencies, so I was absolutely starving and shaking the entire time. So, back to Atkins I went. Except the last time around I didn't even lose anything on Induction. So, this is where I am now. I am at a total loss as to what to do. I know that I have to control my carbs, but I also that I don't seem to be able to lose weight doing so. I am looking at South Beach because my doctor recommended it to me and to be honest I am very weary of the restricted food choices I have been living with for the past 13 years. I guess my question is...if I can't lose on Atkins, will SB really work for me? Thanks for reading my long intro.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 18:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi and Welcome!

In my opinion, yes it'll work for you. But you will need to read one of the SBD books to really understand it all.
In the mean time, we have all the food lists and meal plan guides right here in our weighin thread....for you to print up and use as your guide.

The key is to not give up, no matter what, stay consistent....and it will happen. We must learn patience.

Ask some questions so I can help you further.
Read my success story too, just click on my success button.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 08:30
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

Hi Rainey --- I also did Atkins for years and lost a majority of my weight with it. I too seemed to stall out and not be able to lose on it any more. And, like you, each time I've gone back I've lost the initial "few" then don't lose any more. After Atkins I went to Jenny Craig - lost great on JC but was STARVING! I gave South Beach a try last year and I can tell you - sticking to the plan I lost wonderfully and didn't feel that hunger that you'd feel on WW or JC. It seemed that for me upping the carbs (good carbs of course) and leaner protein choices was what my sluggish system needed to get in weight loss mode again. Definitely get familiar with the plan and give it a try --- I think you'll find it a nice balance.

Good luck!