Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-02, 22:50

Plan: OFP
Stats: 150/128/125 Female 5'3 3/4"
BF:30%?/19.6%/20%
Progress: 88%
Question Abdominals - Will they ever be right?

My abs are just pathetic. After 2 pregnancies (one C-section) and the old fashioned gallbladder surgery (the BIG incision) I am wondering if it is possible to have a belly that looks somewhat normal?

What damage was done to the muscles from the surgeries? Can they return to *normal*? Oh, and all told I spent a couple of years mostly bedridden....can we say loss of muscle mass?

I have had soooo much success with the Atkins WOE, I am spending more time on excercise. But I want to be realistic about what to expect
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 12:28

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Renee I am in similar boat. My abdominal muscles are in the worst shape...I have a gap of almost 2 fingers in width and before my lower back went out for the zillionith time, I was doing crunches and they were starting to get tighter..then whammo the back went out and now I need to know what tummy exercises to do that won't put strain on my lower back ... seems like a no-win situation for me
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 12:36

Default Gap

Thanks for replying to my post....I remember that queer feeling gap in my abs....it is gone now.

We need to get someone over here who can guide us
Hey Fern, Hey Dan. LOL.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 17:21

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I'll bounce this thread with my own question about abs.

I know it's not scientifically possible, but I could almost swear that I don't have any abs! I mean, I can't do a single crunch, or 1/2 a crunch. I try, but nothing happens.

Can anyone suggest an exercise that can work the very weakest of abs? I really need something to get me started.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-02-03, 18:21

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Floor crunches are probably the best to do for people with lower back problems.

Will the abs ever be right after so many surgeries? Well they can get better but remember there is scar tissue that will always be there so you probably won't have those perfect 6 pack abs they show on TV. (also in order to show those 6packs you need about 18 percent body fat, otherwise the puppies are hiding)

Floor crunches when done correctly will strengthen the abs and will not engage the lower back.

The main thing with these is concentration on form. Faster does not mean better. Doing them slowly and precisely is THE key to floor crunches. On the raise I hold the position for a count of 4 before releasing. You can increase the count as your tummy muscles get stronger. I remember when I first started I could barely do 10 for a count of 1.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 17:46

Quote:
I remember when I first started I could barely do 10 for a count of 1.

Thanks for the info Now, to put it to work....
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-03, 18:51

Plan: atkins (kinda)
Stats: 196.6/188.1/150 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default back problems

after four children my lower back muscles seem shot, any kind of lying on the floor work-outs left me so sore that i could never stick with it.

lately i've been lying on my bed doing the crunches, i still feel the muscles in my tummy working, but don't get a sore back.

not sure if this would be any use to anyone else, just thought i'd pop it in here.

Logan ~
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 19:40

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Smile ab exercise for beginners

Hi! I'm new here, but I had to throw this in. I was in physical therapy for awhile for back problems, and my abs are baaaaad!! The trainer suggested that the way to start getting the abs in shape was to just flex the muscles. Just suck in your gut, and hold it in, for a count of five. Then let out, and repeat. This is a great exercise to do in the car. It really helped me, I hope it helps someone else.

-Jess
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 21:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/150 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Re: ab exercise for beginners

Quote:
Originally posted by jessea
Just suck in your gut, and hold it in, for a count of five.

-Jess

But I do this on a daily basis all the time!
That is actually a terrific idea..contracting and relaxing your abs before getting into a real ab workout makes lots of sense! Thanks for the ideas!