Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:49

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Cool About the coffee thing .....

I initially posted this in the "Cardio on an empty stomach" sticky and got no response, so I decided to start a new thread.

I usually run in the morning (before food) after drinking between 500 - 750 ml of coffee. I love running with a good caffeine buzz.

I have read here and in running magazines the benefits of doing cardio workouts after coffee. Question tho, is this too much joe? Will this much coffee 'cause an insulin reaction and wipe out any benefits? The only drawback I've found (and I've been running this way for years) is having to pee! For this reason I often wait a 1/2 hour or so after that last swig of joe. Is this waiting too long?

One more question, how long after the run/cardio workout should you wait before eating?

Oh, and one more thing ..... I take mine black.

Many thanks! Janice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 10:51

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default coffee and running

Wow... good question... I use to run until I acquired hip problems so now I use an elliptical machine instead. I have always had water and not coffee so I guess I'm not a good one to answer your question! I do have a girlfriend who is an avid runner and drinks coffee before she runs, but she also has never had a weight problem, either, so I don't know how it would work for those of us doing LC.

As far as how long to wait after your workout to eat, it looks like it should be within 45 minutes to an hour from things I have read in other posts. Some days I eat right afterwards and other days it is more like 30 minutes after.

I hope someone can answer the coffee question for you.