Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 68.4/71.0/61
BF:
Progress: -35%
Talking Nearly finished induction

Hi Everyone,

Well now I have only 2 days left of the Atkins induction program. Although I am thrilled that I just haven't been hungry on this plan my weight loss certainly halted in the second week. I lost 2 kilos in the first week and then have sat on the same weight now for 5 days. The only thing I can think that I am doing wrong is having a glass or two of wine every second day (there are so many Christmas parties, I can say no to the food but it is difficult to not have anything to drink at these functions .

I am eating the following:

B/fast
2-3 scrambled eggs with a dash of cream
Sometimes 2 pieces of bacon

Lunch
A chicken plate from the Lebanese store in the food court (I work in the city) with no humus, just chicken and salad

Dinner
Chicken and salad or steak and mushrooms (something like that)

I am also drinking 2 litres of water a day and have cut right back on the diet coke.

Am I doing something wrong that is glaringly obvious?

I will stick with it. I have read enough on the forum to know that you just need to keep going and eventually it will happen

Cheers

Melsa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 209.9/206.6/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

There is only one thing that I can think of that you might need to watch out for - keeping your calories UP. I know that sounds strange and completely opposite of everything you've ever been told about losing weight, but it is key in this program. If you deprive yourself of enough calories, your body goes into a "starvation" mode and will hold on to fat like there is no tomorrow (because it's afraid that might be true - you're starving!) I know that when I stalled, I would consciously increase my calories and the pounds would come off again....nothing major - but one or two a week....
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:34
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Mindyd

More food ???? I am eating so much more on this diet than I ever use to eat before but maybe you are right and I should give it a go. Maybe if I eat a BBQ chicken quarter as a snack?

Thanks for the idea. It is only 8.30 in the morning and I have already had a litre of water - going well

Melsa
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:37

BF:

Drinking the water is excellent!

I'd watch out on anything barbecue - a lot of barbecue sauces are high in sugar which is a bummer, 'cuz I love barbeque....

You might try frying some green beans in oil - or adding extra oil when you're cooking for meats....it doesn't sound like much, but it adds up.

Did you ever think you would find a diet that told you to eat more food?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:50
Registered Member

BF:

Tell me if you have a similar problem. Working in the city my food options are pretty much limited to what's avaialble in the food court downstairs. I have forced myself to have breakfast at home as there are no Atkins acceptable places open when I get to work (generally around 7.15am) but for the rest of the day I am a slave to what's on sale. Do you think the lebanese chicken plate is okay? I worry about how much fat is in the chicken ( a hang over from my pre-Atkins days).

I have tried brining some food from home but I really don't enjoy it
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 15:55

BF:

I know that bringing food from home is a pain, but that's really the only way you can be absolutely sure of what you're getting carb-wise. How is the chicken prepared? The chicken itself is not a problem, but if it is breaded, or if the sauce is sweet, you could be in for more carbs than you thought. Also, what types of vegetables are with it?

If you have a McDonald's or Burger King you can have any of their hamburger sandwiches - or any of the grilled chicken - just toss the bun! I know that sounds strange, and people might look at you funny, but isn't your health and happiness worth a couple of strange looks? I've even gone to restaurants and ordered whatever hamburger I liked (fully loaded with cheese and mushrooms and onions) but asked to have it brought without the bun....most of the time they're happy to oblige. I wouldn't suggest that tactic at McDonald's though....

Well, my work day is done....good luck and I'll check in with you tomorrow!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 16:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Nearly finished induction

Quote:
Originally posted by Melsa
I lost 2 kilos in the first week and then have sat on the same weight now for 5 days.

Melsa, you seem to be doing everything right. Mindy is right about keeping the calories up. 10 - 12 times your body weight in calories a day is required to fulfill basic metabolic funtions. I'd say what you really need right now is a good dose of patience

It didnt take you 5 days to gain the weight; it's not going to come off that fast either. With 5 Ks more to lose things might be a little slower for you; think in terms of percentages 2ks is already 27% of your goal. For someone with 60 lbs to lose it would take months to reach 27%.

Keep the water intake up and dont go hungry, and of course keep posting,
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 18:09
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Natruska and MindyD

Thanks for the advice. I am sitting at my desk having a sugar craving but find the low carbs ones give me one heck of a tummy ache. So instead I called a LCing girlfriend of mine and got another litre of water to drink!

Thanks for working out the stats for me Natruska, you are right I should continue to be positive and pleased with the results I have so far.

My friend also reminded me that I haven't done much exercise in this last week as I have hurt my foot and that will be playing a part in this stall.

Cheers

Melsa

PS: Happy Birthday MindyD I hope you have a wonderful day
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 19:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Melsa, remember a stall isnt a stall until it's been six weeks and you've lost no inches or fat. Have you taken measurements? You could be shrinking w/o even realizing it!!!

Waiting until a few weeks of LCing to begin exercising is also a good thing. Your body needs time to adjust to burning a new kind of fuel. Ease back into workout slowly and be prepared for an adjustment period. It took me a full 3 weeks before I was back up to my pre LC intensity.

And watch out for those LC chocolates. They can cause problems for many. The Sugar Alcohols they are made with have quite the laxative effect. There is an article on SA's under "Low Carb Tips" at the top of every page in orange highlight. I strongly suggest you read it. When a LC bar/chocolate claims 2 or 3 g of carbs there can actually be anywhere as many as 15 - 20g. Try a search for "Low Carb Bars" and see what you come up with on this site. There have been many interesting discussions. There is also a "Hidden Carb Counter" under "Low Carb Tools" at the top of every page. You can punch in the numbers from your wrapper to get a real carb count.

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 19:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Natruska,

Its evn worse than we imagined When I did the Hidden Carb calculator on the Cadbury Lite block it came out at 34grams of carbs/100 gr! The packet states 7 grams!

Although I am sad to know this as I thought I had found a yummy treat it is good to really know what is going into your mouth.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Melsa
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 19:50

Plan: OWL
Stats: 249/244/121
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Same Story

I have 1 day to go on Induction.
I also lost in the first week.
I have not lost at all in the second week.
You seem to be taking it much more in your stride than I am. I am really worried.
What if I am unable to loose weight on this program ...???

I have been slipping up in the water part. Everyone seems to think that it is very NB. So a new water bottle has miraculously appeared on my desk.

I am really enjoying this site...

Cheers
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 20:20
Registered Member

BF:

Hi DebbieK,

Well we will push through this together (along with everyone else!). Let's not be discouraged it is probably just taking a while for our bodies to get the 'hang' of this thing!

At the end of the day any loss is a good loss. A girlfriend of mine has been doing this since May and she looks spectacular! I am lucky to have this as a motivater.

Good luck over the christmas period. I am allowing myself Christmas day to relax and enjoy but then straight back on it on Wednesday!.

cheers

Melsa
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 23:00

BF:

Melsa and debbiek - you're both doing great - like Natrushka said, you have to have some patience - this is not a miracle diet that promises you'll be at your goal weight in 3 weeks - this is a WOL (way of life if you haven't seen that one before). Since you're both fairly new to the program, that may sound scary - "you mean I'm going to have to eat like this forever?" - but honestly - after being on it for a little over a month now, that does not seem like a difficult concept. I have been pleasantly surprised that even when I'm surrounded by sweets (like a birthday cake for me tonight at bowling) - I did not indulge, nor did I feel like it was taking every last bit of willpower to avoid it. (The cake was from another lc friend and was meant for all the others to partake - she understood me not having any....). After losing the initial weight during induction, the pounds are going to come off slower - but what comes off will be fat - of that you can be assured.

Okay, it's after midnight here, so I'm going to bed now...keep your spirits up - you'll start feeling the benefits.....

Mindy
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 08:12

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Melsa..... and WELCOME!!
Looks like you are doing great!!
I have trouble with the eating enough thing too. I think I'm going to try 4-5 small meals instead of 3.
I don't know the Kilo wts but I can tell you when I started induction, I lost 6 lbs in 5 days and then stayed the same until day 15-- when I lost another 4 lbs. Now I lose one pound at a time so I'm happy with any loss. Don't get discouraged--- everyone loses differently and when you least expect it the scale will move again!!
And meanwhile--- there are so many other GREAT advantages to this WOE !!!
Just take it day to day--- it will work!!!

Ellie
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-02, 06:06

Stats: 181/176/150
BF:
Progress: 16%
Unhappy

I too have just about finished the induction phase of the Atkins diet. Lost 6 pounds which was great...my biggest fear when I started was that I would gain. BUT, now after about 5 days I am stalled From day one I have been eating 2 c salad and 2/3 c legal veggies which are allowed on the Newer Adkins Program...switched to drinking decaf coffee (simply could not do without my coffee), gave up wine, no breads or grains, even got rid of artificial sweetener ....just in case; and no fruits or juices.
I also have been drinking alot of water. I have even been writing down my food and carb content (15-20 grms.carbo per day)
Hellllllllllllp !! I am thinking here I go again....same as the low-Cal/ low-fat programs.