Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 14:12

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default New Atkins Book:The Atkins 100 Eating Solution

Hi all, I just thought I’d give a heads up that a new Atkins book will be published in December titled The Atkins 100 Eating Solution.

Yes, it recommends 100 grams carbs for good health, and although I’m assuming it’s more of a maintenance style of eating, I have been using a similar approach for quite a while now, and losing weight.

The book is described on amazon, and it looks great. I’m a big fan of Colette Heimowitz who wrote previous Atkins books, so this will definitely be my Christmas gift! Just thought I’d share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 05:37

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

100 gm carbs per day?
I would not lose weight on that amount of carbs - I would gain!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 06:37
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

Description from the publisher ..
Quote:
From the creators of the original ketogenic, low-carb diet, comes the most accessible and flexible approach to the Atkins diet ever: a simplified lower carb and sugar approach based on solid science.

The latest science continues to support the many health benefits of a low-carb approach to eating, far beyond just weight loss. Simply reducing your carb and sugar intake by two-thirds over the “Standard American Diet” helps avoid the development of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes. While many diet trends can be vague in their approach, The Atkins 100 Eating Solution’s fan-favorite program provides a clear-cut way to control your carb intake with 100 grams of net carbs a day and shows you how to make delicious and satisfying food choices that lessen their impact on your blood sugar. This personalized approach is a way of eating you can follow for life.

With cutting-edge research and delicious recipes—all of which feature fifteen to twenty net carbs—The Atkins 100 Eating Solution provides an exciting and delicious variety of food. You’ll also discover how the plan can be easily modified to fit in with most ways of eating, including vegetarian, Paleo, Mediterranean and more. For the first time ever, you’ll even learn how to modify each recipe for the Atkins 40 and Atkins 20 program. This guide is easy to use regardless of food preferences, lifestyle, or cooking abilities. This book is not about following fads or suffering for results; it is a sustainable, delicious program for everyday wellness.

So it seems this is a plan for maintenance, not weight loss, although there appears to be menu adaptations for lower carb levels.

I wonder how much it differs from Atkins for Life which was penned by Dr. Atkins himself (but not actually published until after his death in 2003) ... Heimowitz was thanked in the acknowledgements for her editorial contribution. That program was also intended for maintenance after weight loss, or for folks not needing to lose weight but looking for a program to maintain good health and prevent chronic illnesses such as diabetes or heart disease. It was similarly set at 100g per day, but provided menu adaptations for 40, 60 and 80g in recognition of the fact that many people need a much lower daily carb level in order to maintain after weight loss.

OTOH, there's been a lot of research validating low-carb/keto diets since Atkins' death. While I doubt this new book will present anything that an experienced low-carber doesn't already know, it could be a useful compendium for someone new to a low-carb WOE.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 09:55

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

If I ate 100 net carbs I would not be able to control either my hunger or my weight.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 18:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207/172/140 Female 5'3”
BF:

I am slowly losing weight on 100 ( total not net) carbs on the Target 100 Plan. Since eating this way, my hunger has decreased significantly. Only goes to show we are not cookie cutters and we all have to find our own way.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-22, 03:56

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheryl2020
I am slowly losing weight on 100 ( total not net) carbs on the Target 100 Plan. Since eating this way, my hunger has decreased significantly. Only goes to show we are not cookie cutters and we all have to find our own way.

Congrats! Very true.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-19-23, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I downloaded the Kindle version of this book and skimmed through it just out of curiosity. It includes the Atkins 40 plan, which is way closer to what works for me. I have tried to increase to 75-80 g net carbs per day, including things like whole-grain cereals, and for me it is simply self-sabotage. If nothing else, the book is a reminder of what I shouldn't do.

I think 100 is a good plan for folks who are looking to ease down from high carb/SAD.

Last edited by barb712 : Fri, May-19-23 at 13:46.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-20-23, 03:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

By prioritizing protein, I can eat 50-75 net carbs, but mainly from vegetables, fruit, and FF dairy, with lots of fiber. Whole grain crackers are only an occasional treat.
The Atkins 40 is basically Phase 2 of the New Atkins for a New You plan, which gives us the satiety from carbs a body craves. Going down to 20g total carbs may work for a while for metabolically challenged people, but I found it was not a healthy long term solution for me. Ten years later realized I should have stayed with the New Atkins plan where I started..

Atkins 40-60 is a good plan for someone who has knocked off a bunch of weight starting on 20g TC, and is 20-30 pounds from goal. Move up to net carbs to get more nutrients (without adding LC treats with sweeteners)

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, May-20-23 at 08:04.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-20-23, 10:22

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Having done every version of Atkins beginning in 1973, I always found that my carb limit for losing was ~30g and every attempt at adding 5g of carbs beyond 35g to find and try to stay at my 'carb limit for maintaining' led to disaster. Atkins himself stated that some peoples' CLM will never be >45g and I'm clearly one of them. I could do 40g or 50g and gain or lose nothing, but the worst part was that my hunger & cravings returned with a vengence. White-knuckle dieting & deprivation for life was how I would have to live to eat 50g a day or more. No thanks. Counting to 30g of real-food carbs does not activate my cravings, abnormal hunger pangs (& feelings of being on the verge of complete loss of control), can be done in my head so it is much easier to follow on vacations and when I'm busy. Even if I do have a rare day of >50g carbs, I can quickly recover if I'm back to under 30g the next day.

I did get in a rut of only eating <15g of carbs a day but have doubled that following Optimising Nutrition to get more nutrition, particularly micronutrients that come with other nutrients but are rarely tracked. Protein & nutrients are what keep me satiated.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, May-20-23 at 10:38.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-20-23, 11:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Having done every version of Atkins beginning in 1973, I always found that my carb limit for losing was ~30g and every attempt at adding 5g of carbs beyond 35g to find and try to stay at my 'carb limit for maintaining' led to disaster. Atkins himself stated that some peoples' CLM will never be >45g and I'm clearly one of them. I could do 40g or 50g and gain or lose nothing, but the worst part was that my hunger & cravings returned with a vengence. White-knuckle dieting & deprivation for life was how I would have to live to eat 50g a day or more. No thanks. Counting to 30g of real-food carbs does not activate my cravings, abnormal hunger pangs (& feelings of being on the verge of complete loss of control), can be done in my head so it is much easier to follow on vacations and when I'm busy. Even if I do have a rare day of >50g carbs, I can quickly recover if I'm back to under 30g the next day.

I did get in a rut of only eating <15g of carbs a day but have doubled that following Optimising Nutrition to get more nutrition, particularly micronutrients that come with other nutrients but are rarely tracked. Protein & nutrients are what keep me satiated.

I have a similar experience. While I can add healthy carbs occasionally, doing so regularly at more than 30g results in weight, body fat changes. That's fine, as this is the personal information we all require to understand how to eat healthy. A day or two above 50 to 70 grams of carbs is not an issue. It becomes an issue when the level is maintained for a week or more. I need to have a majority of consistent days when I'm around or below 20-35 grams. Also for me, the types of carbs I consume make all the difference in maintaining a diet high in satiety. I know how to go back to craving food very quickly . . . and I've learned how to avoid that . . .