Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 10:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 253/217/195
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question Starting tomorrow, need some insight please!

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, and am new to the book, so please bear with me. I am an overweight young gentleman who happens to be in the computer industry. This leads to the overwight portion, and 2 bad habits of mine. I smoke and drink a ton of coffee... I wish to start the diet tomorrow (Jan 24) and I have read through the book. I have some questions though that maybe the Atkins veterans out there can help me with.

The book I am reading from to my understanding is the old book, and within it, it states that I should not drink things with caffiene in them. This is due to it leading to insulin being produced? So what am I to do? I have heard that the Induction phase is rather hard to get through, and I am going to assume that my bad habits will flare up more so than what they are currently at.

My second need, is I do not fully understand testing for Keitosis, I have my ketostix ready (40 bucks for 1 bottle ) and I am supposed to check how often and what am I to look for? The bottle reads that if it is in the red -> deep read that means I have reached the desired state. More insight on this would be much appreciated.

That is all, sorry for the long post, I have so many questions and am tired of being overwight and low on energy! *looking for a lifetime eating style change to have a higher self image!*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:01

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

First off welcome I too am in the computer business sort of I work on ATM/Frame Relay networks so I know where you are coming from.

Now for your questions.

Your first two weeks are going to be the hardest part. You are correct on caffiene raising insulin levels. Try as best as you can to lay off the caffiene products.

Your first two weeks you will go through withdraw. This will cause fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and a pretty over all crappy feeling. I would highly recommend you drink 64 oz of water plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you wish to lose. Make sure you eat lots of healthy legal foods! Try to get plenty of sleep as well. This will help offset those headaches and icky feeling. Make sure you take your vitamins and supplements he recommends. If you don't have them yet, hold off on starting until you do. They really help the headaches and muscle cramps.

For ketostrips.....use them as a guide, not the gosspel truth. Many things affect them and they frustrate most newbies. Go for first thing in the morning to start with. Reason I say this is because water consumption, excersize does effect the "darkness" of the strips. Once a day is plenty. Don't drive yourself nuts over them. If they show pink you are in ketosis, darker does not mean better, it normally means you are dehydrating yourself!

You may want to start up a journal in the bootcamp/journal forums to help keep track of daily food consumption, excersize, how you are feeling etc. Our Mentors cruise through the journals on a daily basis, ready to assist if they see a problem or to just say what a great job you are doing. Just ask if you need help.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 11:32

Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi pnyhan, and welcome

I have done this diet several times, and have never had the headaches or leg cramps or any of the other "side effects" some people get. so don't assume it will happen. Try cutting down on caffein. I was a big coffee drinker as well. I started off drinking the Light (1/2 decaf). and eventually I went total decaf. It wasn't hard at all. Caffein will slow some people's weight down, but not all. Make sure you drink plenty of plain water. As far as the diet goes, it is not hard. What other diet can you have a cheese omlet and bacon for breakfast?, a big juicy steak and salad with full fat dressing for dinner? Does this sound hard to you? I didn't think so. You may have to give up sweets, but there is so much more you CAN have.

About those ketostix. I agree with agonycat. Some of us don't even use them. It is comforting to use them in the beginning until you are sure what you can and can't eat. It lets you know you're doing things right.

One more thing, make sure you measure yourself. Many people lose inches even though the scale doesn't move. Measure waist, chest, legs and arms.

Ok, good luck! Don't be scared, you're gonna love this WOE!

cimart
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 12:11

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello pnyhan! Welcome to the group! You'll be really happy that you did.

I just finished the 2 weeks Induction and really enjoyed it. I did not have to deal with smoking and caffein issues, so I can't say much about those other than to suggest that as you get further into this WOE, you'll probably find yourself questioning why you put anything in your mouth.

I did the CAD/CALP plan 2 years ago and lost 60 lbs. I fell off the wagon and put it back on plus another 25 (denial is so powerful). Think of this as a huge change in the way you'll live your life and not as though you've just started a limited time diet plan. You've made a wonderful decision to be good to yourself and you won't regret it.

As for those ketostix, $40 is way high. I don't mean to add to your stress level at all, but if you ever need more, check Walgreens or GNC. I paid about $15 for mine.

The other thing I would highly recommend is being prepared! Take some time to put together some menu ideas and be sure you have ingredients in the house. The only time I ever faltered in my previous diet was when I hadn't given some thought to the next meal or the next few days. There are plenty of tasty (and simple) recipes on this sight. Many of them freeze well too.

Sorry for rambling, but I really believe in this WOE. In two weeks you're going to feel better!

Good luck!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 14:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi pnyhan

I waned to help U out with your caffiene problem. I drank 2 pots of coffee everydy before lunch! Then usually have a couple more late after noon. Well once I started Atkins I quit cold turkey. Im not saying U need to do that, however the sooner U break the habit the better U will feel...well at least I did. I smoke too.. hack hack..lol that is my next project..too quit. As for ketostix they are really neccessary altho most use them to begin with. Im in canada and have bought 50 for around 8 dollars from my drugstore.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 23:12

Stats: 253/217/195
BF:
Progress: 62%

Ok, well I kind of jumped the gun and started my first meal this evening I was really looking forward to a good steak so I went ahead and made it fit the diet. Surprisingly, without the steak sauce and the right seasonings, it was great!

Just one a couple more quick questions, in the book and around the forums, everyone suggests to take your vitamins. The book states to take 2x MultiVitamin, 1 gram (1k miligram) Vitamin C, and 800 grmas Vitamin E. Is there anything else I would be missing?

Lastly, since I am going to be drinking a lot of water (not like I have a choice ) does it matter if it is distilled or not?

Yet again, thanks to everyone, it is nice to have such a large group of people not only encourage you, but give you such great advice!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 07:09

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Hi Pnyhan,
I don't know if everyone takes this, but I take 600 mg of chromium picolinate which is really helping a lot. I cannot explain what it does (the gurus here know more than I) other than it works with your insulin levels and weight loss. If you have the book, Dr. Atkins states to take 200-700mg per day.

Experts, please help me on this!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 09:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default morning pnyhan

The chromium is for cravings as well as keeping your blood sugar regulated. Some people take L-Glutamine for cravings. I would reccommend adding potassium and a calcium-magneisum tab too. The potassium because high protein diets and drinking excess water depletes U of it...and the calcium-mag because its good for your muscles and bones.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 11:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default chromium

Does anyone know about dosage for chromium picolinate?
I got mine at the health food shop, and it is labelled 200 and a symbol that looks like an l joined onto a u, then a g.

I looked on the back and it says each capsule provides 1.6mg!

Is it way under dose or have I misunderstood?

Thanks
Shaz