Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 11:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Post QUESTION ON HOW MANY TIMES?

According to the Atkins book I am rereading it states:

"You are no longer on a quantitive diet. Therefore you should adjust the quantities to your appetite. When hungry, eat the amount that makes you satisfied but not stuffed. When not hungry, eat nothing or just a small protein snack to accompany your vitamin nutrient supplements.

Does this mean you dont have to eat 3 meals a day? Usually I am not hungry and I force myself to eat. I would rather not. But I dont want to be in the starvation mode either.

How would you take this paragraph in the book?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Re: QUESTION ON HOW MANY TIMES?

This is a great question... I don't know if I have the right answer or not, but I make myself eat even if I am not hungry. I try to eat breakfast and dinner for sure... and a salad for lunch or in the early afternoon sometime... I also snack along the way on celery, left over meat etc... but this is just what I do... maybe the new book is a little more specific I have not read it yet...

Tawnya
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 11:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Hungry or not, you need to eat 3 meals a day.

You should be eating 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories. If you don't do this, then your body will think it is starving and will hang on to every fat cell it has for as long as it can.

Feed the body and it burns fat as fuel. Starve it and you will only lose lean muscle instead of the fat cells.

Remember the heart is a muscle as well.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:00

BF:

Then why is atkins saying eat only when you are hungry?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 12:04

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

I believe you will need to ask the good Dr himself that question.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:31
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Doesn't the next sentence after 'quantative' say something about qualitive? I'll check when I'm around the book.

Quote:
Then why is atkins saying eat only when you are hungry?

It's in context of pigging out. You have to read the whole thing to put it in context.

"When hungry, eat the amount that makes you satisfied but not stuffed."

Anyone who chooses the Atkins diet, probably does so because hey, they've been on a lot of other diets. You are being reassured that eating is OK.

I would have been better if he had said to eat three meals a day and not stuff yourself. You need a certain amount of caloric intake to lose weight.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 15:36

BF:

I agree. I put a e-mail to the atkins website and they are going to respond. I'll let you know what they say. I cant imagine them thinking if your not hungry all day so dont eat. That doesnt make sense. Like today at lunch I wasnt really hungry but I just ate bitefuls. Ill let you know what they say.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 18:08
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Dr Atkins does say somewhere (I couldn't find the reference) not to go more than 6 waking hours without eating.
He also says: (Ch 21 page 283) "Eat three meals a day - or four or five smaller ones. Skipping meals leads to unstable blood sugar and cravings, which might allow your bad habits to kick in."
Hope this helps a little.

Rosebud
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 18:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Just found the bit about the 6 hours.
It's in Ch11 Rules of Induction. (page 122)
It's Rule #1. "Eat either three regular-size meals a day or four or five smaller meals. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating."
I guess this just goes to show what people keep stressing: Read, and reread the book.
I'm not always hungry either, Happy, especially at breakfast time, but like you I force myself.
Good luck to you.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 09:55

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%

I would take that as only eating if you're hungry too...I rather eat once a day if I could..I hate eating 3 times a day..Whats the difference if your not even hungry...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 17:39

BF:
Default reply from atkins

Here is the reply I got from the Atkins people. Now we know!

Thank you for your inquiry.

You must have at least 3 meals per day. We understand that you may not be hungry because Atkins does act as a natural appetite suppressant, but if you do not eat your metabolism will shut down and you will not lose weight. If you cannot eat 3 meals per day, have 6 small meals per day.

The following list of common mistakes to avoid during Induction will be helpful:
1. Do not skip meals or go more than six waking hours without eating. If you are not hungry, eat four or five smaller meals (or healthy snacks) instead of three larger ones.

2. Do not omit natural fats. Butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils, and the fat in meat and fish will actually help you lose weight.

3. Do not eat more than 20 grams a day of carbohydrate, at least most of which must come in the form of salad greens and other acceptable vegetables.

4. Eat absolutely no fruit, bread, grains, starchy vegetables or dairy products other than cheese, cream or butter. Do not eat nuts in the first two weeks. Foods that combine protein and carbohydrates, such as chickpeas, kidney beans, and other legumes, are not permitted at this time.

5. Eat nothing that is not on the acceptable food list. And that means absolutely nothing! Your "just this one taste wont hurt" rationalization is the kiss of failure during this phase of Atkins.

6. Adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases. When hungry, eat the amount that makes you feel satisfied but not stuffed. When not hungry, eat a small controlled carbohydrate snack to accompany your nutritional supplements.

7. Dont assume any food is low in carbohydrate; instead read labels to check the carb count (its on every package) or use the carbohydrate gram counter in this book.

8. Watch out for hidden carbs in gravies, sauces and dressings.

9. Avoid foods or drinks sweetened with aspartame. Instead, use sucralose, saccharin or the herb stevia. Be sure to count each packet of any of these as one gram of carbs.

10. Avoid coffee, tea and soft drinks that contain caffeine. Excessive caffeine has been shown to cause low blood sugar, which can make you crave sugar.

11. Drink at least eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day to hydrate your body, avoid constipation, and flush out the by-products of burning fat.

I hope this information is of help to you. Please feel free to contact me if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Marisa Purcell
Customer Support
Atkins Nutritionals, Inc.
1-800-6-ATKINS
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-23-02, 00:24

Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%

HI Cheryl,
Thanks so much for that post. I will copy it and print it out.

Great

Ruby
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 00:45

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default TY

I know I should eat 3 meals a day - really going to try now. Stall land sucks