Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#331   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-23, 19:32

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Another good one!
Sponsored Links
  #332   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-23, 09:20

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
New meme from Dr Naiman. Why I am still "leaning out" at 72, post #62 in my journal. Looks complicated but if you are at your ideal goal weight now yet not looking lean, increase all three types of exercise...forever.

Beside Dr Naiman, I listen to podcasts with many of the Protein Researchers and Protein-centric doctors. Don Layman, Stuart Phillips, Layne Norton, Gabrielle Lyons, etc. Now listening to Don Layman on the Mind, Body, Green podcast. He likes a generic minimum of 120 grams, for women 100 g P is a minimum starting point. If you want to get leaner, 75% of effort should be applied to exercise. Dr Naiman uses something closer to 50/50 diet and exercise after losing excess body fat. Keto dieters often skip this step which gets more important closer to goal weight and for maintenance.

Good post and good sources.
Don Layman is a shining light in the world of protein research and recommendations. This interview with Attia is long, but abundant in valuable information. Layne Norton learned from Layman, and I find Layman has a better handle on overall protein science related to people of all ages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqmG2y4IeY8

Stuart Phillips is another shining light on protein consumption and the critical need of building/retaining muscle mass for all ages and as we age. This is another long interview with Rhonda, but the topics are listed and one that can viewed in segments related to interest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8DSpOd0NZc
  #333   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-23, 18:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I just want to say:
Chemo messes with things inside the body we can't see. My last chemo infusion was over a year ago. I hardly eat much of anything other than fat and protein, but can barely stay in ketosis. I have to take two tbsp of psyllium husks every day to absorb the fat, otherwise, I have diarrhea. Asking a Nutritionist in the American healthcare system is pointless, as they must adhere to the "guidelines." So I just wander around in the dark hoping to do the right thing for my body.
  #334   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-23, 04:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
So I just wander around in the dark hoping to do the right thing for my body.

Always glad to hear from you

It does feel like the medical system is against us at such times. Why aren't they seeking more answers?
  #335   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-23, 04:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The joke with Dr Naiman and Marty Kendall is that Marty writes the 5,000 word footnotes to Ted's Memes.

Here is another meme I used to start the PE Diet, boiled down to the simplest list of foods possible that provided Satiety. If you were locked in a room with only these foods to eat you lose to your ideal weight and maintain it.
Protein Percentage is the most important factor, but this Principal Component Analysis explains why adding green vegetables with fiber may be optimal. Beef and Egg Carnivore can work as an elimination diet, but long term, adding foods with fiber and potassium may be better. Foods, not supplements for Potassium.

The Key Ingredients to Feel Full and Fueled: The Principal Components of Satiety and Nutrition
https://optimisingnutrition.com/pri...nts/#more-40233

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Mar-29-23 at 05:05.
  #336   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-23, 05:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thanks! Where would we be without our research nerds?!?

Marty's enthusiasm and success shows in his graphs, but as I read, I thought of people who rely on Nutri-System to tell them what to eat, and loved it...

And I feel that no matter how much we simplified it, some people will get pulled into the Frankenfoods Conspiracy willingly because their instincts have been hijacked. And one of the great things about Marty's approach is how the nutrients are something everyone needs to work out, but we all need the same nutrients.

One of the advantages of food nutrients is how we get other things too. Like the way artificial fertilizer created big yields with low nutrition. It looked good, but under the hood, it was already a form of processed food.
  #337   ^
Old Sun, Apr-02-23, 09:31

A new interview with Dr. Ted Naiman and Dr. Gabrielle Lyons.
https://youtu.be/qmpi0kiPaqE

There was a recent question about how Ted Naiman works out the Carbs, if you start with 1g Protein per pound of Ideal Weight. He starts with 100g carbs and then adjusts it by exercise...how much high intensity exercise a day? He suggests a minimum of 15 minutes of HIIT/day. Listening to this, I'm not worried that my carbs rarely go above 50.
Fat is somewhat what's left over. 30% fat zone is where most people land, or about 1/2 per pound of ideal body weight.

This interview has more on exercise than the food part, but all critical to hear.

For fans of Dr Gabrielle Lyon, this is a recent interview with her about Protein for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss and Longevity on Mike Mutzel's High Intensity Health.
This podcast was recommended by Dr Colin Champ, radiation oncologist, now at Pittsburgh working with cancer patients and effect of exercise.

https://highintensityhealth.com/pro...gabrielle-lyon/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-02-23 at 11:32.
  #338   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-23, 11:05

I found a new (?) interview with Dr Naiman and Brad Kearns. It is a good summary of the whole PE diet approach and minimal exercise program. https://youtu.be/iIP1KaltHx4
  #339   ^
Old Tue, May-02-23, 13:48

BF:

Thanks! I haven't seen this one! I'll watch it tonight-
  #340   ^
Old Fri, May-12-23, 04:17

I wish he would find another platform than Twitter to answer these type of questions, but since he stays and that is where I have to follow him, here are a few excerpts:

Quote:
Dr Naiman On Saturated Fats from Twitter:

Then do you consider saturated fats dangerous or good for health?

Saturated fat is certainly not “good” for health as the requirement for saturated fat in the human diet is zero—we are really good at making it—and unlike protein or even carbs it doesn’t provide any particular performance benefit and is just passively stored in adipocytes.

Seems to be neutral if under 10% of calories and then suboptimal at higher intakes. I recommend 1) eating the leanest proteins you can get, and 2) avoiding refined sources of saturated fat [mostly dairy and tropical fats] — then you basically don’t have to worry much about it.

Most of my low-carb-and-low-fat P:E ilk realize that sugar and saturated fat are two sides of the same empty calorie and metabolically less favorable coin and are both things that should probably be single digit percentages of the average person’s diet.

I was going to add a link to his Tips on the LowEnergy.com website, but server stopped responding and appears to have been removed.
Drat! I’ll watch to see if it returns or he replaces it.

The TedNaiman.com website has a P:E calculator, and some sample graphics from the book that help. I personally don’t use his foods list below the calculator, but the macro numbers from Cronometer. The simple color pie sections for fat loss or gain is very easy to use in the beginning.

https://proteinpercent.com/

There are links earlier in this thread and my journal to podcasts where he gives practical advice, e.g. replace HWC with FairLife FF milk (or CorePower…thanks for that tip KeyTones! )
Replace bacon with lean ham, Canadian bacon, fish, etc.
Use 0% yogurts like Fage Total.
Use 1 or 2 eggs for nutrition, add unlimited egg whites for protein.
Drop or at least reduce the cheese.
Use an olive oil spray for vegetable stir-fries, not tablespoons of coconut oil.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-12-23 at 06:36.
  #341   ^
Old Tue, May-16-23, 17:14

Yeah…Dr Naiman just announced on Twitter he killed off the LowEnergyDiet website because no one liked the name! Including me😆
Right now, the SAME Information is at:

EnergyToxicity.com

http://energytoxicity.com/

Other followers are like me. They have been using this website to help others with a very basic explanation of The P:EDiet.

Much Better Name! Lowering Energy Toxicity is the key to both Marty Kendall's and Ted's P:E Diet. Ted includes a simple 10 page High Level Summary in the PE book. Energy Toxicity also explained in Keto Lie # 8:
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ene...ity/#more-22067

As much as I dislike Twitter, I would miss Ted Naiman's zingers when there is push-back about calories.

Quote:
Sure, ignore calories—they are an arbitrary human-made construct. But then I suggest you write your own diet book entitled ’Satiety Per Ingested Carbon Atom’. Because those suckers are only leaving your body when you oxidize them in your mitochondria and exhale them as CO2. 😁

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-17-23 at 10:38.
  #342   ^
Old Wed, May-17-23, 14:40

BF:

I could not stand that website name either! He does need to change the name in the text as well to something else!!

I will add one more thing as to where those carbon atoms are going - if you overwhelm your system with fat, well, they may be going out the other end until your system adapts and creates enough bile to utilize it. Some people wonder why going higher in fat stops working for them

I hope he doesn't nix intermittent fasting from the next book, but I am guessing that he might. I never did look into Marty's program. It sounds like you wait until you see your blood sugar drop to decide when to eat? Not that I would change what I am doing. At this stage, I am really entrenched in what I'm doing since it is working for me.

Last edited by Key Tones : Wed, May-17-23 at 14:49.
  #343   ^
Old Thu, May-18-23, 03:44

I hadn’t copied the new graphic to the image service yesterday…that would be #4 (should have been #2)

Marty's first interest was to Optimise Nutrients. For example, People following a low carb diet typically get less magnesium, potassium, folate, calcium, Vitamins A, C and K1, while they will be getting plenty of vitamin B12 and amino acids. You might be interested in how to optimize the macros and micronutrients of your diet. Some people who were doing extended fasting were not seeing results, so Marty developed a simple app using their BG before meals as a fuel gauge.
Here is a new short guide to how that works, it's diet agnostic, and you don’t even have to track food. https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...ictorial-guide/

The Optimising Nutrition community is on a private network, with tons of free information on nutrition, no charge unless joining a challenge. An active group, with interesting, international members. To join, https://members.optimisingnutrition...m_source=manual

In recent interviews, Ted has said at the very minimum, fast for 12 hours, a "light IF" of 16 hours is better, but it is difficult to get enough protein with OMAD or longer. Using our own BG, two meals and a snack is how many of the low carbers end up (see graph in article).

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-18-23 at 03:54.
  #344   ^
Old Thu, May-18-23, 09:44

BF:

Hey, that article looks very interesting! I will print that one out and study it.

I love Dr. Naiman. You have no idea how lean that man is until you see him in person. 5'10" and 160 pounds sounds normal, but he looks like he weighs less than that, seriously. We are the same height and close to the same weight, and I am so big (fluffy, LOL) compared to him. He is concerned about losing lean mass with IF. Probably a big concern for him and the bodybuilding community that have the lean people like him. For the fluffly people like me though, more IF is helpful I think.

I saw him say that he doesn't think people need to do IF on Twitter. Interesting to see what his next book will say on the topic.
  #345   ^
Old Thu, May-18-23, 16:21

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I don't like "energytoxicity" either. It implies that energy is bad.

In interviews Ted & Marty both tend to use "energy" as if there is only one meaning, but most interviewers get confused and make them define what they mean by "energy" when the interview is half over. After one of Ted's talks, it was an audience member's question that revealed that everyone assumed the opposite of what Ted had been talking about during his entire talk.

To most laypeople, "energy" means having energy (feeling energetic), to scientists it means calories/kilocalories because they have units of energy. When asked to define energy, I've heard Ted & Marty respond - high fat, high sugar, or both, none of which have units of energy.