Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 03:16

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Tackling diabetes with a ketogenic diet – the tale continued

Our new favourite New Zealand journalist John McCrone continues his writing about keto for type 2 diabetes, responding to several of the comments about his first two articles and promising to write more.

Quote:
Tackling diabetes with a ketogenic diet – the tale continued

Low carb diets are a hot topic. Having told of his own efforts to reverse T2 diabetes last week, John McCrone answers some of the reader response.

OPINION: One moment triumph, the next dropped straight back into the worries and uncertainties. All part of the complexities of dealing with a chronic condition like diabetes, I guess.

What am I talking about? Well, last week I told of my own type 2 diabetes journey – about having pulled back from the brink through adopting the still controversial Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet.

Out of the blue – as a "slimmish, fittish, 60-ish, white male" on the standard, sugar and starch heavy, insulin-spiking, Kiwi diet – I had developed sky-high blood glucose levels.

And just about as quickly, I managed to drop those levels back down into normal range by switching to a fat-burning, ketogenic, eating pattern.

Certainly a tale of triumph. And one that resonated with the New Zealand public. There are plenty of us out there struggling with the same health issues for the same dietary reasons.

So keep the conversation going many urged. And I shall.

This week I will first reply on some of the points raised in the readers' comments on the two articles – my personal journey with LCHF, and the official view.

Then I will add an update on how I may have been premature to suggest my own diabetes story is anywhere near finished.

Full article: https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/...-tale-continued

It's also worth noting that all 3 of these articles have reached well into the top 10 most viewed articles of the day on the website, and once again the comments section on this one - like the first two - is overwhelmingly positive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 09:29

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

McCrone has started an excellent trend by making others aware and stimulating open conversations with his experiences. His broader reach as a member of the media is a great way to raise the awareness of more people. Reading the comments, I'm impressed with how respectful and open this dialog is by people supporting a variety of WOEs with very little vitriol. A very healthy approach to health.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 12:22

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Reading the comments, I'm impressed with how respectful and open this dialog is by people supporting a variety of WOEs with very little vitriol. A very healthy approach to health.

I think the standard of comments on the website there has improved a fair bit since the thumbs up/thumbs down rating system was removed earlier in the year. Effectively, each comment now stands on its own two feet, and if people want to contribute to the discussion, then that's now what they literally have to do, rather than just clicking icons against what's already there, which just leads to a comment popularity mini-game.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-19, 13:33

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Terrific article—love his writing style. Thanks for sharing.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-19, 05:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The beauty of it is that his only "agenda" is improving his health, and helping others make their own choices.

I always say it is harder to argue with results. I've had doom predicted if I continued eating this way since 2003.

That's a real slow doom, just the way I like it.