Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 18:55

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%
Default Heart Foundation changes guidelines on full fat dairy

This is a start....

Quote:
Healthy Australians can indulge in the joy of full-fat milk, cheese and yoghurt without increasing their risk of heart disease or stroke.

But they should limit how much red meat they eat to about three meals a week if they want to keep their heart in good shape.

The Heart Foundation has made the declarations in its latest advice on meat, dairy and eggs, which follows a major review of Australian and international research.

The authority has hosed down concerns about full-fat dairy products, finding they ultimately have a neutral effect on a person's risk of heart disease or stroke.

As a result, there's not enough evidence to suggest restricting them is necessary for healthy people.

The foundation previously recommended everyone stick with reduced-fat dairy products, but now says that's only necessary for those with high cholesterol, heart disease or type two diabetes.

For the first time, it is also encouraging all Australians to restrict their consumption of unprocessed beef, lamb, pork and veal to 350 grams a week, equating to about three lean red-meat meals.

Processed or deli meats should be limited, as they have been consistently linked to a higher risk of heart disease and other chronic conditions.

On eggs, the foundation has lifted the weekly limit that healthy people should eat.

But it says people with type two diabetes should stick to seven eggs a week or fewer, as eating more has been linked to a higher rate of heart disease and stroke.

The same is true for people already experiencing heart disease.

Heart Foundation Dietician Sian Armstrong says protecting your heart is about more than focusing on any one food.

"For heart-healthy eating it's not just about how many eggs you have a week, or whether you have reduced or full-fat milk. It's about the whole eating pattern," she told AAP.

"So we're really encouraging people to look at not just one different food, but what they're eating over days, weeks and even months."

The Heart Foundation ultimately hopes Australians will eat plenty of plant-based foods.

That includes lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, along with proteins such as beans, lentils and tofu, as well as some fish and seafood.

Australian Associated Press

The story Heart Foundation tick for full-fat dairy first appeared on Farm Online.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 21:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Wow, that is a major change up. Whiplash.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-19, 22:08

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Well it sounded good until the very last line....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 05:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
The Heart Foundation ultimately hopes Australians will eat plenty of plant-based foods.

That includes lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains, along with proteins such as beans, lentils and tofu, as well as some fish and seafood.

What we old people call a "record scratch" moment

So really, people looking for guidance, we allow you to not buy margarine. Which is a not insignificant change in the long run, but so far from goal.

And notice the subtle way they threw "fish and seafood" into the "plant-based foods" safety zone. In my day, that was chicken of the sea
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 08:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes I noticed that too, fish and seafood at the end of the sentence to clean it up!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 09:34

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

mixed vegetables.

mixed messages.

mixed up about it all?

not me.

#7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 10:28

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Healthy Australians can indulge in the joy of full-fat milk, cheese and yoghurt without increasing their risk of heart disease or stroke.

But they should limit how much red meat they eat to about three meals a week if they want to keep their heart in good shape.
So...the saturated fat in dairy is okay, but the saturated fat in beef and lamb is not???? It's a start, but I could really do without the non-scientific alarmist note about red meat gratuitously thrown in.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 10:38

BF:

CG-- ite my understanding that the fat in the beef and lamb is not the issue directly. Its the tie between red meats/ processed meats and increased cancer rates. THis study is quoted over and over. IMO the read meat and the processed meat needs to be separated, and studied separately.

Bacon has moved way down on the grocery list, and then it is only nitrate free. I still have concerns but no proof that how that cut is handled commercially is not in our best interest. I try to limit BBQing too. ANd smoking-- that is, smoking meats.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-19, 20:52

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm personally still thinking an association, when found, between meat and cancer/bad health has more to do with people who are less concerned about health eating stuff like meat plus bun plus fries plus sweet drink etc. and people trying to be healthy, being told meat is supposed to be bad, avoiding it. Statistical associations will of course favor the healthy people, who in addition to lots of genuinely healthy choices, also don't eat the meat. I do the other healthy stuff and do eat the meat, which I consider healthy, and seem to be doing well that way.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-19, 06:41

BF:

While there is truth in that, fats in all conventionally raised animal meats are full of fat-soluble pesticides and herbicides. Period.

Of course fruits and veg have some too but the animals concentrate the fat-soluble chemicals.

Read a book just the other day stating a study about organic foods versus conventional: children moved to an organic diet peed out HALF the chemicals of the children on conventional diet.

The larger animals eat and concentrate chemicals more than smaller ones. THink beef ( 14-16 m to mkt), hogs ( 4-8m to market) versus chicken ( 2 m to market). Im not sure why lamb is included as "red meat" in some sources, but not all, as lamb is almost always 100% grass fed in the US. So they don't bioaccumulate pesticides and herbicides from the conventionally produced grains at the feedlots.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-19, 03:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Show me a burger or cold cut eaten without bread, and I'll show you a low carber.

Grains are like water in our diet. How can you show the effects of their absence when it's so difficult to find someone who doesn't eat them?