Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 02:41

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Unhappy LC and weight training... HELP!!!

I firmly believe in the LC woe, but just recently I’ve started getting interested in muscle building, so I’ve been reading around, have ordered the BFL book and have read in particular Dr. Hussman’s page. And everything I read tells me that to build muscle you gotta eat much more carb that I’ve been eating for weight loss, but to be able to lose fat on such high carbs (at least 120/150 are suggested) I’ve got to cut down the calories which in turn in the long run will get me into starvation mode. And apparently doing weight training and exercise with low carbs will consume my lean mass…

Nat, someone, anyone … HELP!! I’m getting really confused!!!!!
Thanks!

C.

PS Is wheat cereal low glycemic carb or high?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 07:23

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congrats on the weight training, choch

Hussman has some great advice. He's got some not so great advice too. His information is directed at peole eating higher carb, not lower carb, always keep this in mind.

Yes, some carbs are required when you LC and exercise - to keep you from bonking and/or feeling too tired to do anything. However you do not need 150g a day - to feel good or to build muscle. Just have a look through Niky, Marlaine, Homegirl, Ruth, Lisaf and my journals/gym logs. We've all done just fine with 30-60g of carbs a day for months and months.

Don't let 'information overload' confuse you - a highcarb propaganda filter is a good thing to have

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 13:03

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default just a side note

I'm currently reading a bood by the owners of gold's gym. it was written in 1996 and is called the "encyclopedia of bodybuilding". one of the first things they say regarding nutrition is that there is no such thing as an essential carb.
good luck
Regards,
brenda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 16:26

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Arrow high carbs

I have been weight training for 7 weeks now and I followed Nat's advice under BFL and increased my carbs. I stay between 40-50 gms per day and I have felt just fine. I add in nuts, yogurt(plain but I add in some of Atkins syrup for flavor), and sometimes a little fruit... berries mostly.

I'm on vacation this week and used it as a vacation from the bodybuilding as well, since it is good to back off now and then and then start back in to shock your muscles into growing again. I've gained 8 lbs, but my LBM is up 7 lbs from when I started, which is awesome to me!

We just got back from Myrtle Beach and had a great time... Walking in the sand is great for the legs and butt! lol... It was nice to be able to see some of the muscles starting to show thru the layer(s) of fat so my bathing suit didn't look too bad on me! We came home tanned and tired, but it was great. And I was able to stick with the LC just fine.

The good news came when I went to see my sports/rehab doctor that works with my chiropractor and he NOTICED the increase in muscles in my legs and hip and said he was proud of me and that it will only help to strenghten my "bad" hip and to keep up the bodybuilding and the LC'ing(since it has taken away 99% of my bursitis pain).

So, when I read all the bodybuilding stuff that says you need all those additional carbs, I just skip over that part! I know carbs are "trash" in my body and I just don't need them!

Grab some weights and come join us.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 17:39

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: high carbs

Quote:
Originally posted by tokenyanke
The good news came when I went to see my sports/rehab doctor that works with my chiropractor and he NOTICED the increase in muscles in my legs and hip and said he was proud of me and that it will only help to strenghten my "bad" hip and to keep up the bodybuilding and the LC'ing(since it has taken away 99% of my bursitis pain)

What a combo - LCing and Lifting Fantastic results!

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY - had to do it here, you haven't got a journal! Have a great day.

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 23:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/140/140
BF:

Hi Chocolate, I've been weightlifting for 10 years and through all types of diets (low fat, low calorie, etc). Since I've been low carbing, I've seen much more improvement in my body shape. If you're just getting started, I don't think that you need too many more carbs than normal, maybe once you're more advanced and/or have put on a considerable amount of muscle, then you could probably add more carbs and not have weight gain. But remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're lifting heavy, you may not see the pounds dropping off the scale, but that doesn't mean that you're going in the wrong direction.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 03:39

Plan: CAD (again)
Stats: 135/130.8/121
BF:
Progress: 30%
Talking Higuys!!

Thanks so much for all the positive response!! I feel better now with your positive and motivating input.

Right! So it's back to LC and out with the calorie counting yesssss......

By the way, I didn't get notification of any answers this time at my e-mail address, I happened to be browsing and saw the answers... any idea why not?

Thanks again: all your advice and input is just sooooo important for me, cause I'm an eternal worrier: whatever I choose to do I spend half my time wonderin if the other option would have been better. Can LC cure that too?

Bye
C.