Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%
Default Protein Powder Doughnut Holes

These are a favorite Sunday morning breakfast in our house. Taste- and texture-wise, these fall somewhere in between true doughnuts/beignets and funnel cakes. They cook very fast, so make sure you have everything on hand!

1 egg
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, melted
2 tbsp Splenda or erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
Splenda & cinnamon for topping
Canola oil

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the Splenda, protein powder, and vanilla. Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine). Using a small ladle or large spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8 doughnut holes, and serves 2-4 depending on how piggy you are.

COUNTS:
Counts are for total recipe, excluding the sprinkled Splenda/cinnamon, and may vary a little bit depending on your brand of whey. The carbs are mostly from the Splenda, so using an alternative heat-stable sweetener will cut the carb count a bit more (I use erythritol).
Calories: 586
Fat: 52g
Carbs: 6g
Protein: 24g

NOTES:
I've made these probably 10 times, and after trying every kind of spoon and pouring implement in my kitchen, I use an ice cream scoop for the batter -- it seems to give me the most control. The batter manages to be both thick and liquidy, and it takes some practice to figure out the trick to pouring.

These are easier to flip neatly if you use your spatula to dribble a little oil over the tops of them while the first sides are cooking. The batter will still be liquidy in the center at that point, and it will spill out when flipped; but if you use a little oil to make a "skin" on the tops, you'll get nice round doughnuts.

If you prefer funnel-cakes, you can pour the battter into the oil in ribbons, but be aware that this goes even more quickly than the holes!

You could easily fool around with other flavors of whey protein -- chocolate and praline both sound appealing -- to tweak these up. I'm working on using natural-flavored whey and no sweetener to make sausage balls and other little savories.

Last edited by atlee : Sat, Jan-31-04 at 09:51.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:21
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Atlee,
I made these last night, they were really good! Much better than another doughnut recipe I found, and much lower in carbs too!!

Thanks!

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 11:52
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I also tried these and they are great. Like Jade74, I think that they are much better than another low carb donut recipe that I found.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 12:26
Registered Member

Glad you guys liked them!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 21:20
Registered Member

Stats: 301/230/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

These are very good!!! They will be great for breakfast on the go. Next time I am going to try Chocolate Protein Powder... and maybe some nuts. Thanks for sharing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 14:17

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default donuts help

I tried this recipe for donuts
Donuts
1 egg
1/2 stick (1/4 c) butter, melted
2 tbsp Splenda or erythritol
1 tsp vanilla
1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
Splenda & cinnamon for topping
Canola oil

Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy skillet until it's hot enough for frying. While the oil heats, beat the egg lightly with the melted butter, then add the Splenda, protein powder, and vanilla. Whisk together until all the lumps are pretty much broken up, then let it rest a minute or two and whisk a bit more (batter will still have a grainy look to it, but that's fine). Using a small ladle or large spoon, drop the batter by large tablespoonfuls into the hot oil in batches of 4. Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, which will only take a few seconds, then flip. Drain on paper towels, then sprinkle with Splenda and cinnamon to taste and serve hot.

Makes about 8 doughnut holes, and serves 2-4 depending on how piggy you are.

COUNTS:
Counts are for total recipe, excluding the sprinkled Splenda/cinnamon, and may vary a little bit depending on your brand of whey. The carbs are mostly from the Splenda, so using an alternative heat-stable sweetener will cut the carb count a bit more (I use erythritol).
Calories: 586
Fat: 52g
Carbs: 6g
Protein: 24g

I didn't have the protein powder so I used my atkins vanilla shake mix instead. The whole recipe was a big flop. I am guessing you really have to have the protein powder but I can't find it anywhere. anyone kjnow of another donut recipe i can try
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 02:10

Stats: 168/138/130 Female 5'4"
BF:?/27%/15% maybe?
Progress: 79%

What brand of whey protein powder do you use? Also..is the carb count per donut or for the whole recipe? Annie
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Carb counts are for entire recipe. I personally use Designer Whey French Vanilla or Vanilla Praline, which is available from online merchants like netrition.com, from health food stores, or from nutrition stores like GNC. I've never tried it with other brands, but I don't think it should make a big difference -- just be sure that whatever brand you buy is artificially sweetened, only a gram or two of carbs per scoop, as there are some sugar-sweetened whey protein mixes on the market.

As for substituting Atkins shake mix, I can just imagine how that wouldn't work at all! The Atkins mixes do contain whey protein, but they've got lots of other ingredients designed to help them dissolve quickly and smoothly in liquid. Whey protein powder is much coarser and grainier, and it gets really sticky when you add smaller amounts of liquids to it. Also, the Atkins shake mix I have came with a rather small scoop, so that the serving size was listed as two scoops; however, a normal scoop of whey protein is 1/3 c, and that's what I mean in my recipe.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 17:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 110/110/&;100 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Atlee,

Is it possible to bake the donuts rather than deep-frying them?

Thanks
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 20:38

Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I've made something similar to this (recipe below) and it wouldn't work at all to bake them, because before they start to fry they are unformed batter - far to liquidy to bake.

From the Protein Power Recipe Board:

Funnel Cakes

3 T water
2 eggs
2 T heavy cream
1 T oil
1 C whey protein powder
1 T baking powder
1/3 C splenda
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 14:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/232/175 Female 5 ft 6inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

How about useing 1/3 cup almond flour? sounds good! I don't have any protein powder.
jacki
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 19:26

Stats: 258/223/??? Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I think it would be interesting to try these with at least part almond flour. I don't have a good sense of how it would affect them, but it seems possible to me that it would work. They would have less protein, of course.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 21:43

Plan: Less talk, More action
Stats: 175/130/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Made the donuts this morning for my kids and before i could look around,,they were scoffed and gone!!
This is a great recipe, THANKS
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 13:08
Registered Member

I don't know from experience how successful they would be if you replaced part/all of the protein powder with almond flour, which lacks the sticky, gooey quality of whey protein, but I'm not optimistic. The "breadiness" of these comes from the protein/egg combo, and I'm afraid that if you dumped the whey, you'd just wind up with scrambled eggs with little gritty bits. I've never tried doing that, but I've done a lot of baking with protein powder and almond flour, and generally they are not interchangeable. Remember, almond "flour" is really not flour in the chemical sense, it's just very finely ground nuts. It provides body in baked goods, but doesn't produce any kind of chemical interaction with protein and fat in the same way that white/wheat/oat and other grain flours do. For example, you can't thicken a sauce with it, and baked goods made with it won't rise naturally (you have to use baking powder, egg foams, or other tricks like that).

To sum up, I'd stick with whey, which is not too difficult to come by -- Designer Whey is my preferred brand, and it's available at pretty much every health/nutrition store I've ever seen (GNC, Smoothie King, etc) or online. It's useful stuff to have around, since it is a VERY popular ingredient in LC baking.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 11:59

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I can't wait to try these! They sound absolutely sinful.