Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 10:58
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Bowling balls!

The elevator is out at work today. Thankfully, I only have one flight to go up. More thankfully the way out is down.
Anyway, in the stairwell this morning, as I caught my breath on the landing, pondering how truely difficult this minor task of traversing a single flight of stairs had become for me, a thought came to mind. I AM CARRYING MORE THAN 16 SIXTEEN POUND BOWLING BALLS AROUND MY BUTT!

Ever lift a 16 pound bowling ball? Pretty damned heavy.

And I have been carrying more than 16 of them at the same time. All of the time! On every step I take, every single move I make. I carry those 16 stupid sixteen pound balls. Around my heart, my lungs; around all the vital organs I need to just survive. My legs! So I guess if I cannot walk more than a few feet without getting winded; if I cannot stand in one place for more than a few minutes; if I cannot even sit without discomfort for any length of time it is understandable. So....

What I have determined to do is to set these smaller goals before me as I move toward my goal weight. What smaller goals? How about 16 pound increments? That is a small enough weight loss to not seem daunting and yet big enough to be a real success when reached.

That is it. I am now simply going to lose the 16 bowling balls which have been dragging me down for years. The knowledge that I can lose those 16 sixteen pound bowling balls lifts me up!

And know what? I have already lost more than half of a bowling ball. Not bad, MisterE. Not bad at all!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Small goals help me out also. Congrats on discovering that!

From what I have read of your posts MisterE.. you will go far and lose much - and gain health in this WOE.

Welcome to the rest of your life.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:00
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good for you, MisterE! I can sympathise on the stairs -- I have trouble with them myself -- but with time, patience and persistance it gets better.

--Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:05

Plan: ?
Stats: 1/1/1 Male 1
BF:
Progress: 37%
Thumbs up Nice idea!!!

Hi MisterE

Now that is what I call a cool way of visualising the task at hand and breaking it into managable mini goals

Great thoughts

Graeme.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 13:14

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I like the way you think! There is no such thing as small successes here-- they're all BIG! And just think, you'll get to celebrate 16 of them!!

Keep up the fabulous work and wonderful attitude!
Nikki
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:09
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 293/281.5/160
BF:
Progress: 9%

I loved how you came up with bowling balls! Celebrate getting rid of each and everyone of them!!!

{I took my husband's real bowling balls ~ spray painted them gold and silver and used themf for gazing balls in my garden and they are beautiful Who says there is nothing good from getting rid of old bowling balls!}

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:33

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I like that, MisterE, taking it a bowling ball at a time!

About a year ago, I recall dropping off my laundry to be done and they weighed it and said it was 45 pounds. It was heavy as hell to lift out of the car and take into the place, and it hit me that I had been carrying that much plus a whole lot more around with me for years--everywhere I went. No wonder my knees were damn near blowed out!

Happy bowling to you!

Donald
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 14:45

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Great attitude! Every time you reach one of your mini-goals, you should celebrate....by going bowling! That way you can send one of those bowling balls you just lost down the lane, knock over the pins standing in your way and then watch that ball disappear!

Better yet, unlike the ball at the alley, you'll know YOUR "bowling ball" will never reappear!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 15:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/256/140
BF:too much
Progress: 19%
Thumbs up I'm Game

Lets take those bowling balls and throw them done the lane, NEVER TO RETURN!!!!!!
Congrats on a very positive way of thinking and all the mini goals you give yourself.

STRIKE

Stephanie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 15:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 487/449/199
BF:100%...LOL
Progress: 13%

Great way of thinking...WTG!!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 16:49

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default I like that!

Good comparison.

I've lost three of the darn things and have 4 (plus a shot put) left to lose.

Just a question. Do we kiss them good bye? Never mind....

BrewWa
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 16:53

Plan: protein power
Stats: 245/217/140
BF:
Progress: 27%
Talking

What an awesome way to look at it! Bowling balls! Now I'll have to figure up how many bowling balls I have to go!

I find myself getting frustrated with the slow loss I'm experiencing, and I've been looking at it 5 pounds at the time....but I expect to lose 5 every week! And I KNOW it doesn't usually work that way! But I've already lost over 25 pounds...and I KNOW what a 25lb bag of dog food feels like...and I DO NOT wish to carry it around for long! It makes me feel better when I think of it that way!

Great attitude! Good luck!
GettinThin
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 23:51

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Great way of breaking it up into mini goals!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 05:37
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! Came in this morning to find the forum filled with kudos and kindness. I hope that I will be able to pass that warm encouragement on to others as I progress in my weight loss as have you.

Since I only (at this time) can write from work; since that writing time is limited by necessity, allow me to say to one and all that I have read several hundred of your letters. Easily that many and probably many times more than that. I can truthfully say that i have not read a single one that was not inspirational in some fashion even if only in having the "sense" to post to relate something which puzzled or inspired you. Just the fact of taking the time out of your day to post is important. It means this is important to you. And you help to make it important to me.

The hour is early. The brain is not fully engaged so my words may not convey the true appreciation I have for the welcome you have provided. I was going to say, "have provide ME"...but as I read the many messages over the past few days I appreciate the warm welcome you have provided each and every person on their first tentative steps toward a new WOE and the newness of sharing their thoughts and feelings via electronic means.

You are good people. And regardless of size...THAT means a lot.
Thanks again!
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 08:03

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Hey I like this!

Instead of 100 lbs. to lose, I need to lose 6.25 bowling balls or 10 loads of laundry (I think I do mine more often than you Donald LOL). This reminds me of why I didn't mind weighing myself when I lived in Sweden... my weight didn't look so bad in kilos!!

On a serious note though, it is AMAZING to me how much our bodies can handle... easily or not. My Fit Start coach at the gym is amazed at how much weight I can use on the leg press machine. I tell her it's because my legs having been supporting this weight for so long, the leg press is a cake (oops! cream) walk.