Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 09:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/185/120 Female 5'6"
BF:32.3%/29.9%/19.3%
Progress: 19%
Default Beware of eating out LC and a couple questions

For 2 weeks, I now discover as of yesterday, that I have been eating chicken that is marinated in pineapple. Sometimes I'd even have a Flank steak that is marinated in brown sugar. I couldn't believe it, I wanted to cry! So yesterday I cut it out of my daily routine and now I'm no longer in ketosis.. Bleh! Beware of eating out, there's probably almost always hidden carbs! This was just raw chicken they grilled for me but little did I know, it was tampered with :|

Does wine taste strange to anyone?

If I drink a beverage made w/ a little heavy whipping cream, half & half, sugar/carb free chocolate syrup (small amount), and splenda if needed, does anyone see a problem with it other than cravings? It's pretty good and I have a major sweet tooth.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 09:33
Registered Member

Stats: 204/189/150 Female 5'6
BF:Less every day
Progress: 28%

I empathize. Restaurants and commercial food preps put sugar in everything as a flavor enhancer. The other day I wanted to buy some Lemon Pepper seasoning...guess what the 3rd ingredient was?

As far as your sweet tooth goes, I'm find that if I stay away from anything sweet whatsoever, I'm in much better control and don't think about sweet tasting foods anymore. Even artificially sweetened stuff seems to get my tooth going again, so I stay away from all of it. Maybe after I lose the weight, I'll have some now and then, but it's too dangerous for me now.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 10:34
Registered Member

Stats: 293/282/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 8%

I haven't had any bad luck with restaurants so far. I've been pretty lucky. Once I find somewhere that I can trust, I usually only go back to those places, and I usually order the exact same thing every time just to be sure!
It's too bad that you were knocked out of ketosis, especially when you had good intentions. Just stick with the diet and you'll be right back on track in no time... and don't go back to that evil restaurant!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 11:57

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The sad truth is if you didn't make it, you don't know for sure what is in it. I've done more cooking in the past 2 years than ever before and find that I really don't miss eating out. I sometimes have to because of travel, work, etc. but the food isn't all that appealing at most places. Good for those of you who have found places you can trust - but you do have to beware.....
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 13:43

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

And some places put flour in omelettes and even scrambled eggs! Fried only for me.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 14:16

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm a manager at IHOP, and we occasionally get Atlkins/low-carber folks in. I always tell them that we put flour in the omelette batter. (Makes a much better omelette, believe me.) If you get these when you go out, be sure to ask them to use the regular scrambled egg mix instead of omelette batter!

For those of you who want to know, you get about 1 - 1.5 ounces of pancake batter in each omelette - about enough for 1/2 a pancake. You can look up calorie/carb count on calorieking.com.