Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 09:34

Plan: n/a
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress:
Default Nat'l Women's Mag. looking for successes

HI! I work for a national women's magazine and we are interested in hearing from women who have used Dr. Schwarzbein's book, "The Schwarzbein Principle" to lose weight and get healthier, possibly even to use her low-carb diet to get off of Diabetes medication.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and I look forward to reading your responses!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:29

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Weightloss still on the horizon

Hi, Beth. I'm glad you're looking for success stories because I think that, even though I am not yet "thin," I am a success story. This is a long one...

Before I started following TSP (January 31, 2002), I had spent 30 years (since I was 14) with PolyCystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). I didn't know it then, but I probably became insulin resistant as a preteen -- at least my hormones were way out of whack from the beginning because I had never had a regular period.

When I started TSP, I had been "bleeding" for over a year, which was a major change from a "cycle" of 1 to 3 years before that. I was feeling more and more run down, I ached all the time, had no energy, and could barely walk down the hall at work, and I was having so much trouble staying awake after lunch that it was emabarassing and affecting my work. I was afraid I was going to have to have an hysterectomy or worse.

I finally went to my doctor (an internist) and she ordered a bunch of hormone and glucose tests and put me on BCP to control my bleeding -- it did that but brought on incredible cramping.

About a year previously, my aunt Janet, who is a patient of Dr. Schwarzbein's, had given me TSP, but I shelved it and went on suffering. During that time, I had also started to read more and more on the Internet about "cures" for PCOS, mostly to eat more protein and cut down on carbs.

While waiting for my test results, I finally read TSP and started on the program. Within a week I started to feel so much better that I knew I was on the right track. But I was in for a blow. When I went in to see my internist and get my test results, I was told that I was on the verge of diabetes with a fasting blood sugar of 138, she also said that my hormone tests did not indicate PCOS, but she ordered an internal sonogram to be sure. After discussing the situation with my internist, we agreed that I would continue with my low-carb approach a la TSP to try to control the diabetes, that I would see a gynocologist to determine if I needed an hysterectomy that she thought I probably would need, and that I would have my blood sugar tested again in 3 to 6 months.

Within a month of starting TSP, I was feeling so good that I was starting to exercise and enjoying it. This was a first for me, since whenever I had started an exercise program before, I became so tired and exhausted by it that I quickly quit. To this day, I am still exercising regularly and have added such activities as dancing and hiking.

I went to see the gynocologist and she confirmed that I did have PCOS. It had been suggested 6 or 7 years previously by another doctor, and I was not surprised to have it officially confirmed. My gynocologist put me on a different BCP that was known to be more effective for PCOS and it did make my life much more comfortable by reducing the cramps considerably. My gynocologist was not too pleased with my determination to limit my carb consumption, but she didn't fight me on it and said that I could go off the pill when I felt like it and might find that my periods had regulated because of weightloss.

Through the years, until I met the first doctor who, 6 or 7 years ago, told me I had PCOS, doctors have told me that all I needed to do was lose weight and my menstrual problems would go away. Well, I did lose weight the "usual" way with a low-fat, high-carb diet, and my menstrual problems never went away.

So, I was retested in 3 months, as requested by my internist, with the addition of a cholesterol test. My fasting bloodsugar had only come down to 135, but my internist had also ordered an hA1c test that showed I was starting to control my bloodsugar at 6.7. And my cholesterol was picture perfect at 113 LDL, 55 HDL and 60 Triglycerides. My internist was very pleased with me.

About weightloss: When I started TSP, I lost weight quickly in the first two weeks, as if I were on a much more limited-carb regime. Then it equalized to about 2 to 3 pounds a week for the next 2 or 3 months, then slowed down gradually until I had dropped about 30 pounds. I stalled at that point and have remained there. However, the health benefits have not stopped with the weightloss and I expect the extra weight to come off eventually. My start weight was about 245 and my current weight oscilates between 215 and 220.

Now to the really good news: 4 months after being put on the new BCP and 6 months after starting TSP, I went off BCPs and have been regular ever since with a 31- to 35-day cycle. In addition, my cramps have been considerably less intense and of less duration and the facial hair that I had developed through the years is slowly dimishing as well -- so much so that I no longer have to wax my face.

My bloodsugar was tested a third time in November (2002). According to my doctor, I am no longer on the verge of diabetes. She said that my hA1c indicated that I have an average bloodsugar of 109. (I know the numbers are different and I haven't been able to get a copy of the tests to see what they really are, but assuming 6.7 was a high average and 138 is high for a fasting blood sugar when your system should be pretty low, I figure that 109 for an average is pretty darn good.)

Physically, I am not the person I was a year and a half ago. With the 30 pounds drop I also dropped from a size 26/28W to 16/18W. I no longer fall asleep after lunch every day. I have the energy and stamina to make it through a whole 3-hour dance party and I'm learning to Swing dance. I go on group hikes of 5 to 10 miles once or twice a month. I walk 3 to 4 miles most days for exercise. When I get home from work I have the energy to cook a nice meal and to clean up after it. I am no longer lazy!

I would like to thank Dr. Schwarzbein for writing her book that helped me become the person I am today. I am now looking forward to a long healthy happy life. And thanks, Beth, for giving me the opportunity to put it all down in one place.

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 14:35.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:08

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Beth,

I am a success story in progress! I have lost 16.5 pounds low carbing in only 7 short weeks. All but the first 2 weeks I have been using the Schwarzbein plan. I am losing a steady 1 to 2 pounds a week and feel better than ever!

The incredible thing about my success so far, is that I am losing weight without exersizing much. I have been disabled for the past 4 years with back problems and can only manage 1-5 hours of activity most days, and zero activity when my back is particularly pained.

The Schwarzbein plan has been very easy for me to follow and I always feel satisfied, in fact, I am not able to eat the recommended number of meals/snacks on most days even though I try! It is great to be able to have lots of proteins and moderate fat intake on this plan. I never feel deprived. I even have occasional treats (cheats) and still make the same progress. This plan is a real miracle!

deb

Last edited by sfdebchat : Thu, Aug-07-03 at 15:09.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:35

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 150/149/135
BF:24%
Progress: 7%

Hi, Beth,

This may be too late, but I have to tell you about a friend of mine, Tracey, who started TSP May 1, 2003 and has followed it to the letter. She has lost 50 lbs. since then.

She would make a great story!

Carolyn
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 10:51

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

Like Debpenny my story is very similar. I'm still on my goal for weight loss but the Schwarzbein Principle isn't about weight it is about health and getting everything in balance.
I also never had regular cycles as a girl, when I saw a Dr. at 18 when I was entering nursing school he said the irregular cycles were normal. He missed the signs of PCOS so obvious then.
I tried several diets all of which eventuall failed in the fact that I gained weight back.
In 1988 I went to see a gynecologist for premarital work and one look at me he said I had PCOS, I had every physical symptom you look for, at the time I was also breaking out in hives which in latter study I discovered can be caused by polycystic ovaries. He put me on medication and eventually on a BCP that was to help with the physical signs of PCOS. I was on that for 1 year when my BP skyrocketted at I had to go off the pill and I concieved my first child right off, we figure the pill somehow corrected enough that I ovulated that month, my guess is that ovulation would not have occured after that cycle otherwise.

Again I tried different diets to lose post baby weight and even with following them exactly I gained weight, I didn't loose weight, I decided that low fat, low calorie diets didn't work for me I did better eating basically what I felt I needed.
Unfortunately I had problems with bleeding a few months after my daughter was born and I had to go back on the pill, I gained 20 pounds on the pill, more than I gained during pregnancy!

When we were ready to have another baby we tried for 18 months and went to a doctor who put me on clomid, at the same time I tried a program called "Lean and Free 2000 plus" it's focus was on whole foods high carb, low fat, moderate protein and calories must be over 2000 a day, otherwise the body goes into starvation mode. I did well following that plan, and i think it was the whole foods that helped and after 3 cycles of clomid I became pregnant with my 2nd child. Again I had trouble after the delivery and needed to go on the pill and I gained 20pounds on the pill more than the pregnancy.

We wanted a 3rd child, and tried clomid one more time this time we couldn't get my progesterone levels to increase no matter the increase in the dosage of them medication and it caused such seviere depression that we stopped trying figuring we would never have another child we were grateful for the two miracles that we had.

later I had trouble with bleeding again, and was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia, my periods never stopped for more than 2 days for nearly a year, this condition is precancerous, and is a complication of PCOS. Once again I was on the pill, and battle more weight gain, more boughts of depression, I had to change the pill I was taking several times. I was working, I had severe IBS, I was depressed, sleep deprived, (I worked graveyards, and slept very little), I was getting sicker and decided to quit working and get my health in order. I weight over 220 lbs, I'm only about 5ft 3 inch, an apple so most of my weight is abd, indicating insulin resistance.
I started exercising, knowing that for me that was a bigger issue than diet, if I could improve my muscle mass I would gradually improve my metabolism, I having trouble with the pill I was on, went to a doctor after about 8 months of working out and losing about 5lbs in that time, most of that in the 3 months previous. (The first 6 months I saw no change in my measurements even thought I was doing The Firm and working with weights, and doing some aerobic work, PCOS is a very stubborn disorder and women just can't workout to loose weight, we are lucky if we loose 1/4lb a month.) He suggested that I take glucophage, and aldactone, and changed the pill I was on. I started to drop more weight and in another 6 months I was down about 17 lbs. At that time I was ready to talk about diet and he suggested body for life, but I would need to drop the carb level more than in the book, my older sister suggested TSP, which I found and in reading it was for me, I don't believe in shakes and fake food to replace meals, I want real food that tastes like something more than vitamins. It worked so well for me, my skin cleared up in about 2 weeks it went from very oily to normal, my IBS went away, I was taking multi enzymes for it and went from about 9 pills a day, to now 2 a day, and I take those just because I feel better when I do. I started to drop weight to around 50 lbs gone. Unfortunately I came down with a sevier case of pneumonia last spring and eating well has been hard for me the veggies I love just dont' taste as good and same with most meats, I was so tired that my workouts became less effective, still I dropped the pill and the aldactone last may to see what would happen, I have gain weight from around 168-172 to about 186, some of that I expected from dropping the two pills the aldactone kept me in a state of dehydration even though I drank plenty of water, and the pill effects so many systems it can take time to adjust. In July I was started to work out effectively again, felt good about what I was doing, then in August I started to get so tired, I thought it was the smoke from forest fires in the area, and my lungs not healed well yet to deal with it. I had regular cycles off the pill the first time in my life that has occured and I wasn't even following plan exactly. I missed my cycle in September and in doing a pregnancy test, I'm expecting a baby in May. Perhaps that doesn't seem like success but I tell you even though I'm heaver than my last two children I'm in better shape, I workout when I can, as effectively as I can, I didn't do that before, I don't suffer from IBS, and I know this works. IT is about health and balancing hormones weight will come off when your health is in order.
Tanya

Last edited by tigersue : Wed, Oct-22-03 at 10:54.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 13:10

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

i wish i could do it. but i did the atkins plan and lost 65 lbs.