Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-19, 11:13

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Lose 2 pounds, gain 2 pounds, lose 2 pounds . . . .

I had lost 50 pounds to my goal weight in 2007 and had the inevitable pound creep till I had regained 30 of those 50 pounds. I have since lost 10 of those regained 30 pounds.
Now I am facing another knee replacement surgery and know that the less poundage I inflict on my knees the better. I am trying to lose at least 10 more pounds before surgery.
So - back to induction. Unfortunately, this time i lost my stand-by Diet Power program so i am having trouble keeping track.
I lose 2 pounds and regain 2 pounds day by day.
Discouraging.
I suspect I am eating too much protein.
Probably too many olives too.
Water not an issue.
Carbs limited to Atkins Indulge (if the advertising is valid) and foundation vegetables.
Also being an old woman, my body is in no hurry to abandon its fat cells.
Just a boo hoo and sitting on the pity pot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 07:51

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%

Oh, honey, those Atkins bars will screw you up every time!! They're horrible! Most people gain with those.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 11:21

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I doubt you're eating too much protein. You need way more than the RDA says you do and if you're over 50 you definitely need more!

There's a good chance that the Atkins Indulge bars might be screwing you up. It's possible to be over-eating carbs on "foundation vegetables" if you're not measuring and counting, but I doubt that's your problem.

You could try to Google for a copy of your old program (I'm not familiar with it) or get a copy of Atkins, Protein Power, or Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat from Amazon or the library. They all have good basic plans in them. The plan at the back of Why We Get Fat is Dr. Westman's "Page 4" plan. Someone might pop in an give you a link to the "Diet Doctor" subscription website that will also have a copy of this.

But sometimes we all just see-saw up and down for a few days or a couple of weeks and then finally the scale moves again. Weight loss isn't linear.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 11:57

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I was a long-time DietPower user, but now I use "My PLAN" on this website (in yellow font on the green menu bar, below the Welcome box). It is a bit cumbersome until you add things you eat often to your favourites and add your own recipes, but it does what I need. It also broke me of my DP habit of weighing daily, so now I only weigh 1-2X per week or less. Atkins bars and dairy caused me to hold on to weight & cravings, so I ditched them.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 12:32

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If olives are an issue, you might try increasing your salt intake. Wide variations in salt intake from day to day might cause more variability in water retention from day to day. This isn't something I've seen hard science on, but I've seen people talking about this on bodybuilding boards, and it seems reasonable.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-19, 15:01
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

There are lots of us old girls here on the Forum. You're in good company.

Here's the link to Atkins Induction foods if you want to save the $$ of buying a book. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...t=236482&page=1

Over 70 and female makes losing weight very hard, but we're here for you. I'm in maintenance and it's a constant battle not to gain. I've lost and regained the same 30 or 40 pounds over and over again since I first went on Atkins in 1972. For me, the trick is fear. I fear not being healthy and living on and on, riding a scooter in the supermarket.

You can do this.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-19, 10:45

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was a long-time DietPower user, but now I use "My PLAN" on this website (in yellow font on the green menu bar, below the Welcome box).
Oh! I thought DietPower was an eating plan. Sorry, my mistake.

I haven't used MyPlan on this website, either. If you want something more portable that also has a phone app, lots of people use Joy, Chronometer or Carb Manager. I'd avoid My Fitness Pal--it's too CICO and low fat oriented and they make it hard to track net carbs. I think most of these programs are a bit cumbersome until you get through the first weeks of adding in regular foods you eating, recipes, etc., then it all becomes easier. I don't think that's just MyPlan.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 10:08

BF:

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have all the books - or I used to - but with all my moves, books are the first to go.

I have the sense that my weight loss attempts earlier this year, and it's abysmal failure, are simply due to grieving. I eat to ease grieving. Sometimes I realize I am grieving just by my food choices.

What am I grieving? Started with the death of my two brothers 4 months apart leaving me as the last remaining sibling. It is a kind of loneliness I had not experienced before - no one left who "remembers."

Then, last year, I decided to leave my home in Canada permanently - the home I had lived in for 30 years. All the memorabilia had to go.

This year my last remaining dog died in June- the last of my own breeding program. No point living in a large house on 5 acres, with a doggie door and lots of room for the dogs.

So I sold my home in July and moved to a seniors residence apartment in August. More memorabilia had to go and my books went to the library as the apartment was half the size of the house.

It has taken me this long to realize I was grieving for all these changes and using comfort foods to ease the pain.

I was able to download Diet Power - the computer program - to monitor my carb and protein intake as well as my weight fluctuations. As of today - one month after "getting real" again, I am down 8 pounds. That's 2 pounds more than when I started in February. It was realizing the stress of losing a beloved pet, selling my home, and downsizing that was sabotaging my weight loss journey, that I have been able to get back on the wagon.

Is it a struggle? You bet it is - especially when I found that my 4 knee replacements were not doing the job and I told my surgeon I was not having any more. So my life is confined to the use of a walker. The rehab center told me rehab was a waste of time with dislocated knee caps, so I am working on an exercise regimen appropriate to my limitations.

In spite of all this, I am grateful for my mobility - such as it is - and that I am not confined to a bed in a nursing home as both my mother and her sister were at my age. I am still independent and making my own decisions - including food.

Time to get off the pity pot and move on.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 11:16

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Grief is real. Glad u are progessing thru the grief......it really takes time to ease the pain.

I imagine when all my horses will be gone.....our heart and soul goes into each one. I still have my first foal that I bred. She is 27 now and going strong. And two daughters....

Enjoy the memories.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 11:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/229/179 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Carbs limited to Atkins Indulge (if the advertising is valid)

I just checked out a few of the Atkins Endulge bars. The Chocolate Caramel Mousse has 23 grams of carbs per pack, 9 grams of fiber and 12 grams of sugar alcohols.

I'm new to Atkins, but could there be something going on with those Endulge bars?

Sorry about your losses.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 12:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica F
I just checked out a few of the Atkins Endulge bars. The Chocolate Caramel Mousse has 23 grams of carbs per pack, 9 grams of fiber and 12 grams of sugar alcohols.

I'm new to Atkins, but could there be something going on with those Endulge bars?

Sorry about your losses.

I'm my opinion I would say yes, there is a huge problem with those bars. Just think of the real food she could have instead of that.

Adkins is pushing a scam with deducting the alcohol and fiber. Makes me
wonder how long it took for them to invent a reason why they
were OK to eat while on a weight-loss plan.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Dec-27-19 at 19:32.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 14:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jessica F....Ditto what meme wrote. Endulge is the Atkins name for candy.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/atkins-fairy-tale-candy
They have Fairy Tale Cookies too...check the linked articles at the bottom of this one.

Suggest you count Total Carbs, not Net, and only eat real foods. Eggs, meat, cheese, etc. For many people the taste of sweet, even if a better sugar alcohol than the one the Atkins company uses, will perpetuate your addiction to carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 14:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Westman's Keto Clinic Diet as it was in the Why We Get Fat book and on the DietDoctor site: https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

On January 2nd, DietDoctor will have a completely re-vamped "Weight Loss for Good" program that replaces the Two Week Challenge. Three weeks of Education, plus another 7 for a total of Ten Weeks...including free Meal Plans. You have to have membership to get meal Plans now, so just that is a good bonus to help you decide if membership has value. A great Re-start for anyone who needs to get back onto a program.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-19, 22:40

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Aw, man, that is a LOT to grieve. I am so sorry . For getting moving, does your residence have a pool? A pool can work wonders for mobility even with bad knees.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 05:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Aw, man, that is a LOT to grieve. I am so sorry . For getting moving, does your residence have a pool? A pool can work wonders for mobility even with bad knees.

No pool
But the exercise room has a Nustep which I can use and of course there are exercises I can do lying on a bed.
I can still walk with the walker but if i walk too long - as in supermarkets - the pain in my knees spreads to the entire leg
I have tried the mobile carts but getting on and off is a major problem
You need good knees to stand up from a sitting position

Thanks for the suggestion and the empathy