Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Lo-Carb Beer

HI

Has anyone tried the lo-carb beer that's available?

I've tried Molson Ultra (unusually sweet...), Labatt Sterling (only one available at my beer store in 6's, with the usual horrible last sip), and Sleeman Clear ("smoothest" of all of them, aka taste-free...)

Each has 2.5 g of carbs, or so they say. Since patio season is coming, I thought I'd ask.

Are there any others people know about in Canada? I've seen Michelob in another site, but don't know if it's available here.

Now, I'd better get alot of responses here, or we can't truly call ourselves Canadian, eh?

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 09:48

Stats: 197/164/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%

I bought Big Rock Jack Rabbitt beer, only 2 grams per beer. I sampled it at the store and I prefer it to Sterling.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:22
Registered Member

Stats: 220/158/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I have tried all the ones that are available in Ontario. Sterling, Ultra and Clear... I love Clear.. It was the first one out and I like it the most... Since BBQ season is here (I have been BBQ-ing all weekend) Clear will be in my fridge
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 22:53

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Jack Rabbit from Big Rock ( Alberta) gets my vote as best!, then Streling, then Sleemans and Molsons Ultra last.

<<<<< only one available at my beer store in 6's>>>>>

Can you not just buy singles??? Try a Government Liq store.

Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 06:31

BF:

Hi

I kinow Big Rock reg beer has been available in Ontario. I don't usually look at the single beers, makes me think of the homeless guys who buy it and walk across the street to the park (that used to belong to all of us) and get piss drunk and start fighting...!!!

(*scared suburban girl in the big city*)

I will look for the Big Rock... I seem to remember really disliking the reg BR beer, but maybe I have it confused with something else....

BTW, all the Beer Stores are actually called The Beer Store in Ontario-- there is only the provincial stores here, no independents except for wineries, and those are limited.

However, I will also check in the LCBO (liquor store, province-owned too), since they also carry some beers.

M
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 09:35

BF:

LOL
Quote:
makes me think of the homeless guys who buy it

I buy most of my beer thta way, don't drink much of it, lol

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 08:52

BF:

Hi again

There is an interesting article on the Atkins thread "Hold on to your hats..." that talks a bit abour lo-carb beer.

Miller Lite has always had only 3.2g carbs since it was created in 1975!!

We can get that here, right???

M
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 09:02
Registered Member

Stats: 235/165/180 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty
HI

Has anyone tried the lo-carb beer that's available?

I've tried Molson Ultra (unusually sweet...), Labatt Sterling (only one available at my beer store in 6's, with the usual horrible last sip), and Sleeman Clear ("smoothest" of all of them, aka taste-free...)

Each has 2.5 g of carbs, or so they say. Since patio season is coming, I thought I'd ask.

Are there any others people know about in Canada? I've seen Michelob in another site, but don't know if it's available here.

Now, I'd better get alot of responses here, or we can't truly call ourselves Canadian, eh?

Mary

I was in the US on the weekend and tried the Michelob Ultra. Not bad, it's about as good as the Sleeman's but tastes a bit more like beer.

Tons of commercial on the radio in the states and signs like "All lite beer is low carb, go for taste" Bud Light
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 12:07

BF:

I guess the best way to find out would be to go to the beer makers web site, they should all list the stats. I think?

The only light beer I ever liked was Kokanee, hate, coors, canadian.

Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 15:20
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itty
BTW, all the Beer Stores are actually called The Beer Store in Ontario-- there is only the provincial stores here, no independents except for wineries, and those are limited.

Whenever I'm in Ontario, the big orange 'The Beer Store' signs always make me laugh... no question about where the beer is though, and that's always a good thing!

I like the Sleeman's best too. I don't think you can get Miller lite in Canada.

Jenn
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins + Yogurt
Stats: 195/150/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Have only tried the Sleemans clear. Liked it a lot. Hoping to find more of a pale ale soon. Used to get bad heartburn from Amber Ales but this one does not bother me a bit. Kudos to the beer people...mmm...good
Jan
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 21:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I was rather disappointed in the Sleemans - I expected a more flavourful beer than what the mega-brewers came out with. I actually prefer Labatt Sterling. Maybe because the pub across the street has it on tap, along with fantastic wings and veggie platters! It's amazing I'm not over there every night.

Jade, it still makes me chuckle sometimes, too. It used to be called "Brewers Retail". Then they just cut to the chase and renamed it "The Beer Store."
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 08:29

BF:

Re Beer Store...

Oh no! they are changing the signs to be a picture of a glass of beer... and it (the new sign) is mostly brown...

Mary
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 11:15

Stats: 190/163/160 Female 5'9"
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 90%

Don't know what it's like in the rest of Canada but I know in Ontario and Nova Scotia, you have to go to a special store to buy beer..... In Montreal they have it at every corner store and grocery stores..... it's GREAT!

I have tried the Molson, Labbatt and Sleeman's and prefer the Sleeman's Clear myself.... there is some in my fridge now and they really went down well this past weekend with the warm weather we had! I drank about 5 over the weekend and I still lost 1 lb since Friday!

I have seen the commercial for Bud Lite claiming all lite beer is LC but I don't think it's as low as what the LC beer is claiming..... I think it's over 2.5 grams. Bud was my beer in my pre-LC days so it would be nice to drink Bud Lite but...... sadly I do think it's still quite high in carbs. Anyone know what the carb content is in Bud Lite?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-04-04, 07:41

BF:

Hi

I think most Light/lite beers run around 4 g of carbs for a bottle, and remember, pints are about 1.5 times the size of a bottle!!

Mary