Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 06:43

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Carnivore!

You know who you are and you love being just that

A carnivore, meaning meat eater is an organism that derives its energy and nutrient requirements from a diet consisting mainly or exclusively of animal tissue, whether through predation or scavenging. Animals that depend solely on animal flesh for their nutrient requirements are called obligate carnivores.

A carnivore at the top of the food chain is termed an apex predator.

The carnivore diet consists of animal foods alone. As long as the constituents of your meal walked, crawled, flew, swam, or otherwise had parents, they’re fair game.

You don’t have to follow any rules as far as food timing, macronutrient breakdowns, or portions. Simply eat when you’re hungry and until you’re full. Nice not to have to have a second job doesn't it to just eat healthy! Second job being track every single thing that goes into your mouth from a calorie, to a macro, to content, to super fake food to what works for ya and against ya and tons more. Takes a lot of time and effort most all hate even tho we pretend we don't....

The following are examples of approved carnivore diet foods.
Meat
Steak, burgers, and red meat in general are the main food sources for carnivore dieters. Because you’re not eating carbs—or any plant foods at all—it’s crucial that you get enough calories to keep your energy up, so fattier cuts of meat are best. Poultry and organ meats are also fine, as are processed meat products such as bacon and sausage.

Fish
Any kind is OK, but again, fattier types such as salmon and sardines are the smartest choices.

Whole Eggs
You’ll need the fat in those yolks.

Dairy
Milk, cheese, yogurt, and butter all come from animals and are technically admissible, although most carnivore dieters seem to omit or at least limit them. This is usually due to people discovering the carnivore diet as an outgrowth of the ketogenic diet, in which milk and yogurt are generally not permitted due to their lactose (sugar) content.

As one of the goals of a carnivore diet is to eliminate nutrients that your body may not be able to process optimally you should experiment with dairy foods one at a time and in small doses to see how you handle them. You may find you feel better with none at all.

Bone Marrow
Bone broth is allowed.

Fatty Meat Products
Tallow, lard, and other fat-dense foods derived from meat are greenlit.

Condiments
Salt and pepper are your friends here, as salsa, horseradish, mustard, and various herbs and spices don’t technically qualify. With that said, most sugar-free condiments don’t contain substances that cause digestive problems in most folks, so most don’t see any harm in using them just because they come from plants (especially since people typically enjoy condiments in small servings). With that said, due to its fat content, meat—particularly red meat—is quite flavorful on its own, so you’ll probably find that salt, pepper, or small amounts of butter provide the taste you want without the need for further add-ons.

Supplements
None. Although products such as whey protein and creatine come from animals, there’s virtually no need to supplement with them in this case. Eating animal foods exclusively pretty much guarantees you’ll meet your daily protein needs, and relying on red meat, which is rich in creatine naturally, leaves little reason for further supplementation.
Carnivore eaters who work out do report consuming coffee or caffeine supplements for an energy boost pre-exercise (in spite of the fact that it isn’t an animal product). Personal choice.

Again allowing a few very small things like 'extras' that don't count as 'eating a plant as part of a meal, using it as 'food meal' etc.' are optional to everyone to make this lifestyle work long term and be pleasurable as one must need it.

Carnivore is me

Not many who adopt this normally but those who are meat eaters and want this type of lifestyle and health benefits is a huge population. Just google all about Carnivore and find the wonderful benefits of it all.

As with any lifestyle it will vary on what you allow. Processed food? As in sausage? You will allow or not allow. That is fine. Bacon? Processed. You will allow or won't and you will feel wonderful or not as wonderful in allowing certain carnivore foods into your life. That decision is very personal.

One thing is not many do eat this way on 'lc forums'. There are tons of Carnivore forums out there and tons of info to support this lifestyle.....thing is I would love to chat with anyone taking on this lifestyle and doing it for healing, health, personal preferences and more.

I am dropping zero carb terms. I don't like that term anymore. A Carnivore is a carnivore This has nothing to do with carbs in a way. It is about eating ALL meat/seafood products only as mentioned above. Carbs from any animal source don't count....so why even call it zero carb? It isn't and it won't be....it is 1000% about eating meat/seafood and not ever going beyond in truth.

If you UP from there, add in something other than meat/seafood and a bit of dairy etc. you are not a carnivore. You are a very very low carb person and you are eating plant or other junk that is not carnivore based. Also what you drink will be very personal but if you are drinking fake sweeteners you are not a true Carnivore. You take a shot of whiskey you are a Carnivore, hmmm, maybe according to some....you mix it with diet soda or whatever fake mix you are not a carnivore LOL but again.....this part can vary a tiny bit on how you want to roll. Drinks and preference are kinda a 'hmmm' point in all this that I have read on the 'net out there. Life must be lived at some point as we all know. What you allow or disallow will make a huge diff. in our personal results.

A true carnivore menu is just that and that is what I am.

I don't play with any other information in my life with my menu other than I am Carnivore. Drop the macros. Drop the carb counts. Drop the calorie counting. YOU DROP it all being Carnivore and that suits me the best....along with being a true meat eater down to my very last bone in my body

Any and all Carnivores unite and chat up

we can post our menu for the day.
show our wonderful results and improvements.
There is no zero carb crap anymore for me....Carnivore is just that. No more wondering about how I eat....I eat Carnivore and it is wonderful and easy and effortless and amazing

Anyone wanting to pop in and chat would be wonderful
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 08:40

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:

Hi Karen,

I guess I'm not a true carnivore because I sometimes eat tomato sauce or ketchup. But sometimes I don't. I feel better when I don't eat dairy, but sometimes I eat it anyway. Haven't noticed any issues with my tomato condiments. When I'm in a pure carnivore phase, the first couple of times I eat some cheese, I seem to be unaffected, except for craving more cheese. But by the third time I eat cheese, I start feeling bloated and inflamed. Bacon I eat BUT I notice that my gums get slightly inflamed. Probably happening inside my body too, so I don't eat as much bacon as I used to. Can't stand fish so I never eat it. Here's my diet when I'm full-blown carnivore:

Bubba burger (sometimes with a half a teaspoon of ketchup)
Steak
Lots of salt on both and sometimes out of my hand

That's it.

Right now, I'm eating keto meatballs (ground pork and beef, with eggs for moisture, mixed with onion powder and garlic powder) and I heat my meatballs for a few hours in the crockpot in Victoria's tomato sauce. So definitely not true carnivore right now, but that's all I eat all day. I also drink plain tea in the morning, water the rest of the day.

The reason I eat the way I do is that I don't really like vegetables.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 09:12

BF:

Hi tess

omg I wrote a ton and who knows what I hit and gone.

shoot me now please LOL I just get so irked by keyboards and what they can do if my fingers go a tad this way or that way LOL

and it is funny cause when I wrote out about tomatoe sauce and effects etc.....it disappeared...……..and not worth a repeat

BUT CHALLENGE COMES TO MIND HERE
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 09:29

BF:

again one site to know how others change…..

read this:

https://ketogenicendurance.com/

yes we can ALL put flavor in forms of tomatoe sauce, extras we know are from plants in a 'more' big manner in foods etc.

but when we elim to the max and find our journey we thrive.

Never in any shape or form count a calorie While what I linked is 'every man' for themselves, read more than 1 or 2 or 3 cause ALL have the path on what it took to get here and IF YOU know where you belong you hold tight on Carn….cause Carns know they are just that.....yet let OLD info into their brain we have been programmed go by the wayside and it is time to break that mold.

Throw veg to the animals we eat
It then gives us all we need to be superior in eating in a way cause like I stated before....one must be ready to learn why all meat/seafood and drop the extra works so well. We need no Vit C cause FRESH meat provides our bodies with not needing it and so much more fab info out there.

Thing is take the challenge.

I am right there with ya

Lets clean up all our meat/seafood eating to all animal.

If you are game I am game cause I am now cleaning all eating up to pure Carn.

I love it and thrive. Walk along with me in a short experiment on yourself to see if it works for you You are right there, small jump for ya!!

Post food tomorrow cause I am

today I had 2 small sausage patties (Jimmy Dean regular) and I am so over food right now. Fat and protein feed the sole. Your body requires nothing else ever. SO with that then we must learn our 'tastes', 'desires on what we allow and won't' and we take it from there.

True Carn is fab.
A few smidge off is cool.
But don't for one second think a Carn lifestyle can give into eat plants and too much crap from the other side in way of 'extra taste'. It can't.

and this has nothing to do with 'following' a plan, this is ALL to do what plant material and fake food TAKE from your body It isn't a diet war fight, it is a health eating fight that YOUR body understands!

Hope some of that helps and remember any chat about it is a good thing.....your thoughts on what you are wanting to do and how ya do it are key to your success Would like to hear your thoughts on it and how you would love to eat more meat etc. and just walk thru life as a Carn!!

Last edited by Whirrlly : Thu, Oct-17-19 at 09:38.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 09:49

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I'm a 'relaxed' carnivore or 'ketovore'-I eat meat/seafood/eggs and then some dairy (butter, HWC and sour cream mostly), but then I also still use spices and low carb condiments, drink coffee with splenda, cook my steaks in an avocado oil/butter mixture, and then social situations/eating out I just aim for lower carb options. I also eat pork rinds (with sour cream as dip).

When I filled out Dr. Baker's survey and submitted a voice recording testimony I said I was at about 90% carnivore, 10% 'other', which lines up with most of the other responses (he did a follow up video where he breaks the surveys down).

I really enjoy this way of eating and have settled into a good routine. I love not having to count/track or measure anything anymore, after almost 7 years of being on that hamster wheel, and just eating when hungry, stopping when satiated Yesterday I had dental work in the morning, that would have me numb for a while, so before I left I had an 8 ounce steak at 8am

eta: I do supplement with magnesium 3 times a week and then I add pink salt to my coffee as well.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 10:09

BF:

Well, I put my meatballs in the crockpot at 7 this morning so I'm going to go ahead and eat them today. But tomorrow I'll have burgers all day - I'll try to do them without ketchup. I'll be busy with kid stuff for most of the weekend so my husband won't pressure me to go out to eat until possibly Sunday. I can (and usually do) get a plain burger or steak when I eat out, but my problem with restaurants is that I want to order a glass (or two) of wine.

So what about wine?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 10:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Well, I put my meatballs in the crockpot at 7 this morning so I'm going to go ahead and eat them today. But tomorrow I'll have burgers all day - I'll try to do them without ketchup. I'll be busy with kid stuff for most of the weekend so my husband won't pressure me to go out to eat until possibly Sunday. I can (and usually do) get a plain burger or steak when I eat out, but my problem with restaurants is that I want to order a glass (or two) of wine.

So what about wine?

Eating out is killing me right now-hubby is working 60+ hours a week plus another 18ish hours a week in drive time to the job site he's on, and he uses eating out as a way to relax-last week I think we went out 5 times So far this week we've only gone out once but we'll probably go out 2-3 times this weekend as well. I'm the only one in my family who's doing low carb/carnivore, so it can be challenging. I don't drink wine so no help there, but really I think it comes down to whatever works for you and helps you accomplish your goals. If a glass of wine prevents you from doing a face dive into an appetizer then I'd say drink away
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Back in 1973, I discovered Atkins. I followed that diet for years, and then a natural occurrence happened in that my diet slimmed down to pretty much, mostly meat.
I have been eating mostly meat since about 1978.
I enjoy chimichurri sauce to dip my meat in.
I also enjoy horseradish and sour cream sauce with my meat.
In 2006, I went full on meat... until 2012 when I ate a burger with a bun.
But really, since about 1978, I’ve been eating nothing but meat.
I do enjoy a salad from time to time.
I am a more social human in that when I go out to eat, I will eat the asparagus or the broccoli that is on my plate.
I have no trouble with veggies here and there.
And I rarely pick up a fruit. Don’t know why, I live in a tropical climate.

But there you have it.... I’ve been 98% Carnivore for decades.
It was just a natural occurrence in my diet......
And it’s easy to travel or do picnics or have dinner parties and be a Carnivore.
I’ve not had any difficulty adhering to my WOE....

My favorite cuts of meat are skirt steak, lamb, a fatty ribeye, oxtail, beef cheeks, beef heart, calves liver, brisket, some pork......... pork makes me bloat so it’s not a frequent meat on my plate.
I probably eat a burger 6 times a week.
Chicken... I eat very little chicken as the bleach that they process it with, makes my stomach turn. I’ve been told that they process Kosher chicken differently than mainstream.
I also try to eat salmon once a week.

It’s easier. It’s cheaper. It’s appetizing to see a piece of cooked meat on my plate.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 11:10

BF:

Interesting Pilotgal! Mostly carnivore has been a very natural progression for me too. Low carb will always mean primarily meat for me, as I just don't like vegetables or fruit much and salt has always been my favorite spice. The only time I eat fruits and veggies is when I'm out with other people. But full disclosure, if dairy didn't adversely affect me, I'd eat a lot more of it.

Quote:
pork makes me bloat

Is this a common reaction? I've never heard of it before. I would wonder if I reacted that way too since, until about a month ago, the vast majority of pork I ate came in the form of bacon, which definitely causes some inflammation in me. Now I eat meatballs which are 50% ground pork with seemingly no adverse effects.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 11:13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Is this a common reaction? I've never heard of it before. I would wonder if I reacted that way too since, until about a month ago, the vast majority of pork I ate came in the form of bacon, which definitely causes some inflammation in me. Now I eat meatballs which are 50% ground pork with seemingly no adverse effects.

Actually, when I belonged to the now defunct zero carb forum, most of the members that ate pork said the same thing. I hadn’t noticed it until people started talking about what meat affects them....
Yeah... a lot of people have issues with pork. Not to mention, I have never liked the taste of dark meat pork.... something about the smell...
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 17:58

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey all- count me in-
I would say I am about 98% Meat. My indulgence is a glass of wine, and a Marinara SPLASH. Notice I did not say full out dunk!

I am done with dairy- it is killing my gut and I am challenged in a big way to let it go. It has been a huge challenge for me. My blood results came back with huge inflammation and I attribute that to a cheese fetish. So this will be good accountability for me.

I have been Keto mostly for the last year and have just flat out stalled. Stress, cortisol, dairy and the now once in a blue moon one dinner off plan. I am so ready to tighten up the ship and get this show going.

I am a lot going going on and simple is so much better for me. I also find that eating once a day it truly optimal for me. I am not looking to change that. Just tighten up the eating. I don't think it will be a major change from Keto- as the veggies were a mere, because I thought I should.

So I am in and here as well!!!!

Looking for cool recipes. I am torn with certain "processed"- I am mostly huge NO on those. but I have used pork rinds in the past as fillers for meatballs. I will need to give that a think.

I too have noticed a pork smell that is almost nausea when you open the bag no matter how fresh. I also never eat it the next day. although a perfectly cooked pork chop which is hard for me to perfect is very very good!

so I look forward to like minded hunter and gather folks!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-19, 19:35

BF:

Dawn I loved your post.....8 oz steak at 8 am. My kind of eating right there
Now that is how Carnivore is done! I applaud you

Tess a little wine is fine. I mean we have to live ya know. A life we want. But remember when one is a true carn. and carbs are gone, that alcohol does effect you way faster LOL and one can almost not drink as much as they think. Not all of us but a lot of us

Eating out is tough. Killer for me is not finding food, I can do that easily. My go to is a bacon cheese omelet at little places, big restaurants kill me cause why spend $30 on a steak I can make at home for $9. And never eat any sides that come with it? Eating out gets on my nerves also. I so get that.

Plus I am super finicky on my food. I like meat cooked MY way only. No one can usually do it the way I love it except me. Leaving my meat/seafood in the hands of others makes my skin crawl in a way I like my control over my food to make it exactly as I love and want. But at some point we all gotta order and just eat what we can out there when we have to do so.

PilotGal I loved your post. You are a Carnivore for sure and a long time to boot!! I think if things are added in sparingly we still get the true Carnivore benefits. If we make veg/junkier stuff staples we lose the true benefits of what Carn. can do for us but it sounds like you got a nice pattern for yourself!

Guys I do fine on pork. One of my staples for sure. Especially love country ribs. I buy the very fatty ones. OMG the fat all crispy and delish on those big old ribs is one of my top favs. So satisfying. Now a dry little pork chop....I eat them but pork for me needs big fat content. So a boston butt and attack that meat with the big fat cap all yummy....oh yea I can do that for sure

Burger is my pain in the butt situation. I find burger tastes so different each time I buy a pack. I like Sirloin cut burger. Leaner. I know the fattier has more taste etc. people say but I find a leaner pack of burger suits me best....but it doesn't satisfy as much. Thing is I order out a naked burger and bleck. Most times I just don't like the taste of 'whatever' burger I ordered out there. I hate fast food burger mushy taste. Texture is a biggie also for me on burgers. I like that real meat texture, the mushier a burger is or wimpy kinda not firm I just can't eat it.

I think Carnivore boils down to how close you stay to true meat/seafood ONLY to get the best benefits ever one can get from a big eating change in life. The more we add in the less optimal benefits we get but everyone at some point is gonna add a tad of this or tad of that We are human only after all and surrounded by spices, great tastes, good sauces and more.

but one thing is for sure. when I do only Carn. and very little spices etc added, cooking very basic....I do not want or desire hardly anything else. I am super satisfied and happy and not food obsessed. It is wonderful that Carnivore eating takes that away for me.

I am finding myself truly embracing Carnivore!

today was 2 sausage patties cause I leave tomorrow on a fast little trip over the weekend in our RV and I made a bunch and froze them. Great to heat up in the micro in the rv as a fast eat.

2 chicken breasts cooked in grass fed butter and sprinkle of my fav. rotisserie spice mix. I love this taste. It jacks up chicken so I love it, not hate it.

2 chunks cheddar cheese for dinner. I was just not hungry one bit.

tomorrow tho, after eating lighter today my mind is on a big old steak! When we get settled at the campground I have a nice big giant ribeye with my name on it and I can't wait LOL

I think moderate LC helps many, lower lc helps many and all the plans like Keto and such but I think the ultimate truth is Carnivore. I think it is a hard plan to handle unless one is a true meat eater like us. Meat is my staple and what I want. I just can't pretend a salad is anything like a ribeye LOL

I am so happy so many love being a Carnivore!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 03:43
Registered Member

When I first began eating Carnivore, I mean, pure meat....
I realized that I had bad experiences drinking alcohol.
And I thought how effective Carnivore eating would help alcoholics...
They would get dreadfully sick, every time they tried to drink excessively.

I do believe that putting alcoholics on a Carnivore diet would cease their drinking... absolutely.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 03:48

BF:

yea I found out also that having a drink was fine....but like you said on a day I tried to party up a bit....wow. I went down like a ton of bricks real fast LOL My tolerance for alcohol is extremely different on Carn.

I also noticed I don't truly 'want' a drink like I would before.

I think on such a pure menu the body truly sees alcohol as poison to the system. At least I feel it nailed me like that.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-19, 04:20

BF:

Eating has been challenging since Wednesday, have a temporary crown in right now and it's on my dominant chewing side. I did manage to eat some roast yesterday, but it was difficult and painful by the end of it. Rest of the day was beef sticks, string cheese and pork rinds and then I made tacos for the family and I had the seasoned ground beef mixture-topped sour cream and bacon I did add a few splashes of hot sauce to it, pretty good combination!

Today will most likely be leftover taco meat (no more bacon left, bummer!), and then eggs with sausage links. Need to get in the habit of eating eggs more-they're so cheap right now and are easy to eat with a hurt mouth! Husband is working a 12+ hour shift today, to try and get out of working tomorrow, so we may do a late supper out tonight unless he just eats on the job site/on the road. We'll see how it goes!