Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#301   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 08:16
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Ok, I just caught myself up in your log. I see now that you have a home gym like me so your exercises might be limited to your equipment. But I would still suggest you cut out some of the isolation stuff and add in more compound, shorten your reps to about 6-8, and possibly change your split. You always want to have a day between each lifting session at least--don't lift back to back unless it's an upper/lower split. Finally, it seems you're having some pain? Knees and shoulder? Knees probably would be better off if you try the 6-8 rep scheme rather than the 10-15, and look into doing either goblet squats (raise your heels if necessary) or box squats--both were easier on my knees. As for your shoulder...since it's been bugging you since late June, you might want to get it looked at, and at the very least rest it. Wide grip stuff like your pulldowns aggravate shoulders.

There, how's that for totally unsolicited advice,
Sponsored Links
  #302   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 08:27

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Oh, thank you so much for the advice Lisa. I set my goal at 172 since that's what I weighed in high school. It was comfortable at that time and I was doing circuit type training at one of those ladies gyms. And based on that and using 25%BF as my goal, the LM goal was 129. So if I use 112-120 as the LM goal, then my body weight goal at 25% BF would be 150-160. Ugh. Lower than 160 would be a dream.

I wasn't really paying attention to the total number of sets per WO, so I'm glad you pointed that out to me. I've been adding a warm up for specific exercises (like squats and shoulder work) and I think those are helping. I assume I don't count those in the 20.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  #303   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 08:30

Oh, we were posting at the same time! Thanks for this add'l feedback.

I'm 100% positive now that the shoulder problem is posture related. It's been on and off again for years. And I can directly tie when it's happening to the number of hours on the computer. I'll look at your suggestion on the squats, too.

Thanks again!
  #304   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 12:09
muscle bound

YW Dianne. You might find that you have a higher LBM at goal, and that'd just be icing on the cake. But don't despair if it falls closer to 120, that's all. I bet you'll look better at 170 this time around than in high school, too--more muscle=smaller size. And you can definitely go lower than 160--even to the high 130's if you like. It's just a matter of smart work and patience,

Quote:
I've been adding a warm up for specific exercises (like squats and shoulder work) and I think those are helping. I assume I don't count those in the 20.
Yeah, don't count warmups, but don't overdo warmups, either. Just a set or 2 is all you need until you're pushing serious weight. What might help you more, in addition to a few warmup sets, is to look into doing a few minutes of dynamic stretching prior to lifting.

Here's a good routine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkCZym9CT54

As for your poor posture--have you seen the Neanderthal No More articles at T-Nation.com? They cover this exactly, and give some exercises to help.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459379&cr=

Last edited by dane : Sat, Aug-11-07 at 12:21.
  #305   ^
Old Sun, Aug-12-07, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
As for your poor posture--have you seen the Neanderthal No More articles at T-Nation.com? They cover this exactly, and give some exercises to help.
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459379&cr=

Funny, I just came upon that article Friday night. I still need to study it... my eyes started glazing over a bit when reading it. I think once I fully grasp it, I will be able to make some changes that will help. I found that article by first reading this article on (De)-constructing Computer Guy. This one really hit the nail on the head for me!
  #306   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 08:14
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Babes! Welcome Dianne....glad to see Dane is helping you out. Judy, are you still weight training regularly?

I must admit after getting pregnant I spent a good time focused on core exercises (some pilates) and water aerobics. But this past week...when it just felt like the right time for me physically and mentally...I went back to the gym and did some lighter weight training and cardio. Obviously I'm not doing what I used to, but I'm listening to my body and being really cautious because I know my ligaments are really stretching. But I also know that keeping my muscles strong and maintained is important and I could feel a difference in my biceps yesterday from just one quick set. It's like they jumped out and said "hey, we were asleep - it's good to be awake again" LOL So I'm hoping while my entire tummy grows OUT that I can at least keep the rest of me a bit more firm. LOL

Keep up the good work, everyone!
  #307   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-07, 01:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

The Times
London, UK
18 August, 2007

Muscle up, live longer

Muscle is going through an image change. Previously thought of as a stretchy slab of inert flesh that declines with age, especially once we hit 50, research is emerging that suggests that the simple step of regular muscle execise, followed by a protein snack, could keep our muscles going long into old age. This not only means a better physique, but also a life less likely to be sabotaged by falls in later years.

Good muscles mean far more than the ability to lift weights, run fast or show off a washboard stomach. They are crucial to health: the muscles of our chest help us to breathe properly and keep the lungs free from fluid; muscles in the heart pump blood around the body; and, of course, muscles, literally, hold us up. Lose as little as 25 per cent of the muscle bulk in your leg and you’ll struggle to get out of a chair; you’ ll also find yourself tripping over kerbs or falling over in the shower.

As well as staving off old-age frailty, this recent muscle research, from the University of Nottingham and other universities across Europe, may also be important for cancer patients and athletes. Keeping on weight in the form of muscle means a better chance of recovery for cancer patients. And this new understanding of how muscle works may save gym bunnies a fortune.

The accepted story is that the muscle wasting seen with cancer, and the less dramatic muscle wasting of age, is because, over time, more muscle is being broken down than is being built up. In fact, breakdown rates remain pretty much the same. Scientists at the University of Nottingham have discovered that it is the build-up that’s the problem because the muscle is denying itself the nutrients it needs. Food is the key that switches on muscle-building and, more specifically, the amino acids found in protein, which are the building blocks for muscle production.

So the answer to bigger muscles surely is to eat more protein? Many clearly think so because the shelves of every healthfood shop groan with protein supplements for body builders. In fact, contrary to all received wisdom and a million internet sites, it’s not the answer.

First, and here’s a surprise, our body takes in only the exact amount of protein that it needs to build muscle; any more than that is expelled in our urine. This is because the amino acids that make up proteins are poisonous in large quantities and cause brain damage in excess, but we have loads of enzymes to break them down. So, the more protein we eat, the more the body raises its production of enzymes to break it down and excrete it in pee, keeping us safe from harm.

And so our muscles get full up. Literally. Once we’ve had the equivalent of a boiled egg’s worth of protein or so, muscles don’t take up any further amino acids, which means that those expensive protein supplements largely end up down the pan.

The concept of muscles being full up is highly significant because as we age our muscles say that they’ve had enough, earlier than they did when we were younger, meaning that without the necessary building blocks, muscle breakdown exceeds build-up. The technical name for it is anabolic blunting.

This effect is also probably highly significant in cancer because there is something about a tumour that causes it to react to the enemy within and to tell muscle that it’s full up way before it actually has. This process is common in cancer but also in several diseases that cause wasting – all this despite huge amounts of protein and calories being poured into patients via supplements and drips.

But here comes the good news: with moderate exercise, followed by a meal that contains some protein, we may be able to cheat this system. Michael Rennie, a professor of clinical physiology at the University of Nottingham, and who has an international reputation in this field, recommends cheap protein such as fish, eggs or mik. It doesn’t have to be a huge portion; a large glass of milk is enough.

According to Jacqueline Birtwisle, a registered sports nutritionist who works with the British rowing team, some good postexercise snacks are a wholemeal roll containing a sliced boiled egg, a fruit smoothie made with skimmed milk, or 200ml of skimmed milk with 50g of sugar-free muesli. Shift your pattern of feeding so that you don’t eat more protein every day, just eat more of it soon after exercise. By doing so you may preserve your muscle, avoid falls, and maintain good health for longer.

The effect is not confined to the young; even older people can have their muscle maintenance system effectively tweaked; rejuvenated effectively by about an hour of moderate resistance exercise. If you know someone with cancer, it may be worth encouraging them to stay active and, if possible, to start visiting the gym, and taking a light high-protein meal soon afterwards.

If you are a sportsman or woman, and eat to satisfy your appetite, you will automatically be getting more than enough protein in your ordinary diet to sustain muscle growth when you work out, whatever the advertisements tell you. If you just want to be more toned, especially if you are older, resistance exercise and food is the key.

But what sort of exercise works best for improving our muscles? Suprisingly perhaps, it’s not the sort of exercise needed for cardiovascu-lar fitness, such as long walks, swimming or sweaty stuff. Simply lifting weights will help, and not even heavy ones at that. And if you follow this resistance exercise with a meal containing protein, muscle-building accelerates.

Professor Rennie says: “What seems to be happening is that the muscle’s sensitivity to amino acids may be reset by exercise.” Exercise makes the muscle realise that it’s not actually full and that it could do with some more amino acids, which it then takes in to bulk itself up. This discovery is good news for older people but even better for those with cancer and diseases known to cause wasting such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and liver cirrhosis.

A study, completed recently by a group of researchers in Heidelberg (its leader, Wulf Hildebrant, will be joining Professor Rennie soon), shows that encouraging patients with pancreatic cancer to do resistance exercise reversed their weight loss and they put on muscle as fast as healthy people of the same age. “This is an important finding because better muscles should help them to cope better with surgery, have fewer complications and possibly speed recuperation,” Professor Rennie says.

Later Life Training runs courses to promote exercise for the elderly and the frail; www.laterlifetraining.co.uk

How to stay in shape

To get the most out of your muscles, supervised resistance exercises at the gym is the best bet. Meanwhile, here are some simple exercises you can do at home to help keep your muscles in shape. They can be done by anyone of any age, but older people, particularly if a bit unfit, should take things slowly.

Listen to your body, breathe, and don’t overdo it. If you are not sure of the technique, ask a professional. Don’t worry if you don’t have any equipment, bags of sugar work well as weights.

Legs Squats are the best. Imagine that you are getting in and out of a chair. Slowly. If you are a bit unstable, use a chair but try not to sit down fully, or make sure there is something to hold on to. Do three sets of 10.

Back These muscles are easy to work in the gym with upright rowing motions. At home, sit upright on the floor, slowly push your weights away from your chest and pull back again. Three sets of 10.

Chest Lie on the floor and push your weights up towards the ceiling and back down to your chest. Three sets of 10.

Tummy Simple crunches are best, and technique is crucial. Lie on the floor, feet flat, knees bent, hands on thighs, and press your back into the floor. As you slowly curl upwards, breathe out, making sure you look upwards at the ceiling. Three sets of 20.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li...icle2274147.ece
  #308   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-07, 20:53

Just thought I'd share that I used my BB for the first time today. Ain't it grand to be new to all this! Does this mean I graduated from kindergarten?
  #309   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-07, 05:14
muscle bound

I told you so! Someone got bit by the iron bug! ♪♫
  #310   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-07, 05:38

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Just stopping by to say "hi" to everyone. Hope everyone is making great progress. I finally reached my weight loss goal. My plans are to maintain between 130 and 135 until next year when I'll do another cut. Right now it's going well, but I've heard maintaining is a struggle, so....I'm preparing myself for that.
  #311   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 09:58

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 153.0/144.8/130.0 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

Congratulations Galatia! You are such an inspiration!!!
  #312   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 10:03
muscle bound

Yes she is! Deb, that's SO cool that you finally made goal. I can't wait to join you!
  #313   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 11:51
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Just stopping by to say "hi" to everyone. Hope everyone is making great progress. I finally reached my weight loss goal. My plans are to maintain between 130 and 135 until next year when I'll do another cut. Right now it's going well, but I've heard maintaining is a struggle, so....I'm preparing myself for that.

I haven't been around in awhile...sorry about that. But I'm SO glad I stopped in today to see this. Awesome news! Congrats!!!!!

And yeah, I'm guessing maintenance is its own battle, but you should still celebrate getting to this point before the new phase begins.
  #314   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-07, 23:30

Plan: Organic/Dr. Berg
Stats: 239/201.6/150 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hello All,
Haven't read this thread for a long time, but nice to see the familiar faces here and all who have joined in!
A brief history of my weight loss and muscle building.....
Struggled with weight forever, even as a kid. Went to college, started weight training at a YMCA and loved it. Got married, and happily got fat. Lost it, and weight trained for about 4 years. Gained a lot of weight working at a stressfull job. Lost it again. Trained for a tri and gained it all back. Now I'm on the losing part again. I know it's true that eating the right things is the thing that is going to make the biggest impact....but weight training is what gives me the desire and drive to actually eat the right things.
  #315   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 04:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hey Seanna!

Thanks Jenni, Lisa and Lisa.