Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 21:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/188/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

I tried these crepes last night and they are incredible! I get wheat gluten at the health food store. It is totally worth the trip. I added 2 packets of splenda and wrapped some low carb icecream in them and voila, the best desert my boyfriend and I have ever had, including the ones with carbs!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-05, 08:19

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I just came upon this recipe and realized I had responded almost 2 years ago! Well, I just made them and they were excellent. I ate them plain - kind of as pancakes! They were also really easy - I normally don't like cooking and baking.
You can get the wheat gluten at any health food store - I got it at whole foods.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 17:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 125/108/102 Female 5"2
BF:
Progress: 74%

i made these again today, brushed them with dijon and put thin slices of ham and swiss cheese in them, folded them envelope style and topped with a little more swiss chesse, then baked them. omg, sososo good!

also, i wonder if you could add baking powder to the batter to make pancake batter? hmm...

btw, i tried the egg/cream crepe idea (w/o gluten) and it didnt seem like a crepe to me, just a super thin omlette. but real french crepes (jaques pepins recipe) were my favorite food before i started dieting and so maybe im used to the texture of a crepe made with batter.

Last edited by seira : Thu, Mar-17-05 at 17:47.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-30-05, 01:06

Stats: 286/263/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have had the crepes as posted in the original post about 5 times in the last 2 weeks. They are that good. I usually just roll them and cut them and pour melted butter mixed with LC syrup on them. I have also mixed up a little creme cheese, splenda, and a table spoon of creme for a sweet filling (not really filling, but a thinly coat them with the mix before rolling them).
Anyway...they are pretty good. My most used recipe so far.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-05, 10:34

Stats: 206/198/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

For anyone wondering if Atkins Bake Mix can be substituted for wheat gluten - well guess what the main ingredient in the Mix is? Yup - wheat gluten. I'm definitely going to give this a go - in England we call pancakes - drop scones, and crepes are pancakes, usually eaten with a sprinkling of sugar (sweetener) and lemon juice straight from the pan. We even have a "pancake day".
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-02-05, 16:48

Stats: 225/185/150 Female 5 feet 4 in.
BF:
Progress: 53%

I made these this a.m. and they were quite good with a little butter and Splenda rolled in them. I didn't have heavy cream so just used sour cream and water in place. I found that using a spray oil for greasing worked alot better than butter and to make sure they were pretty well cooked before trying to flip them. My 1st four tore and, of course, had to eat them. I can see alot of applications for them. My DH put blueberries in his and maple syrup on top.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-04-05, 10:37

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i will try them with no added sweetener to sub for LC tortillas. I just need a vehicle for sandwich fillings etc....you could also use them for soft tacos etc....

deb
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 08:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 212/212/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

Good stuff I think this is going to be good for me thanks
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 14:19

Stats: 212/198/150
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Wheat gluten

I buy wheat gluten at my regular supermarket--they all seem to carry it these days.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-20-11, 06:42

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

This is a very old thread, but I just came back to this forum, and wanted to answer a couple of questions.

1. These days, most supermarkets sell wheat gluten - it may also be called vital wheat gluten.

2. Baking powder typically has some corn starch (and therefore carb) in it. Because you'd be using such a small amount, and because the corn starch is only 1/4 of the total volume, I would expect that it would be negligible, but if you have issues with corn, well, it's just FYI.

I made these this morning from memory, and didn't remember about the blender. They were lumpy, but I was hungry.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 14:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Lo-carb Crepes

So happy to have found these posts. I love crepes and especially if they can be made in advance. Glad to see that people are still using this recipe. I will post after I make them and let everyone know my results.

I looked at one of my favorite regular crepe recipes and the batter sits for 2 hours to 2 days so that may improve the texture and consistency also of this recipe.