Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#376   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 15:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/208/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default what a good idea!

Wow, I tried mayonaise but it didn't work as well as it does with self-rising flour for a yeasty flavor. I want a good yeasty crust for pizza.

Now if you could just figure out the flavor of that square donut shaped bran cereal. I've tried to replicate it and gotten nowhere near the texture or flavor.
Maggie
Sponsored Links
  #377   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-09, 10:39

Plan: Self
Stats: 229/215.5/175 Female 5ft7in
BF:
Progress: 25%

can anyone stand another bowl recipe? Maple/Pumkin breakfast muffin/loaf. 1/4c each Carb quick almond flour mixed with 1tablespoon flax mix the dry. in another bowl mix 1egg 2/4 c sugar free maple syrup ( I like maple grove farms) scant 1/4c cream. 1/4 c pumkin 1tea pumkin pie spice or cinnamon if you prefer. SS to taste. (I used about 4 drops sweetzfree snd one packet Truva pour wet into dry mix till well combined. a few lumps are ok add a tablespoon of pecans if desired mic for 2/4 min depending on you oven. I like to eat mine with butter and a cuppa tea. For the whole mix. which is quiet a lot I get around 4net carbs enjoy Elaine Happy Holiday
  #378   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/254/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thanks for the great ideas everybody!! I can't wait to give some of 'em a try!
  #379   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-09, 22:52

Stats: 279.6/273/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 5%

Well my take on this tonight was:

1/4 C CQ
1 Egg
2 T AS
2 T Cocoa
a mix of water and Davinci toasted Marshmellow SF syrup

very yummy
  #380   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-09, 19:36
Never Give Up!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/139/140 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Since I came across this thread, I've made three different bowls - I am in LOVE

So far I have made chocolate cake with 1/3c CQ, 1/2 packet SF Swiss Miss, a dash of vanilla davincci, 1/2 egg, 1T SF chocolate chips and then topped it with cream cheese and a dab of Coolwhip (to sweeten the cream cheese) nuked for a minute and it's the BEST!!

Then I made an apple pie with 1/3 CQ, 1/2 egg, dash of cinamon, dash of vanilla davincci, 1/8 c chopped SF apple pie filling and topped with cream cheese and coolwhip and nuked. This was even better than the chocolate cake.

Finally I made a pizza - which had a good taste, but a little messy. First in a square tubberware I mixed 1/3c CQ, with 1/2 egg, a dash of vanilla davincci, some italian seasoning and a little water, nuked for 20 sec. Then topped with 1 T pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese. Nuked for another minute or so. Let out to cool. Once cool, I lifted it out of the bowl and sliced. It was a little hard to handle since it wasn't crispy - I didn't want to over cook the "crust". I bet if you cooked this crust in the microwave first, then topped it and cooked it in the oven, it would be better.
  #381   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-10, 08:13

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Made one of these again this week. yummy!
  #382   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 10:37

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%

I just tried NancyLC's Bowl Muffins, so I am years late on this thread, BUT! It worked very well! I don't use grains so can't really do the QC thing, but used coconut meal. I had to use more half and half than an equal amount, actually a good bit more as it seemed the coconut simply absorbed whatever I put into it! That said, I added a bit of baking powder, a good dose of stevia and some cinnamon, and it was a great treat. Can I use the stiffer dough to make cookies? My husband who does not like stevia or coconut actually said it did not taste bad. I ordered some chocolate extract and some almond meal today, so I can add that to the ingredients list that I have on hand pretty soon. It's a great way to relieve boredom on a low carb diet.
  #383   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 10:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I LOVE bowl muffins. I haven't tried one using coconut flour yet, but I'm going to try them this week and hope I can get one with a good texture
  #384   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 17:34

Stats: 205/190/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

ha! Had forgotten about these and am back to dabble!!! (may have to play with coconut oil a bit...hmmmm)

Last edited by zajack : Tue, May-18-10 at 18:28.
  #385   ^
Old Tue, May-18-10, 17:38

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 214/150.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've been using a blend of:

1/8 c each flaxmeal and almond flour
1 TBSP coconut flour

instead of all flaxmeal for my bowl muffins and love it! Lately I've been topping them with 1 TBSP of cream cheese mixed with 1 tsp of SF orange marmalde - delicious
  #386   ^
Old Wed, May-19-10, 11:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
I just tried NancyLC's Bowl Muffins, so I am years late on this thread, BUT! It worked very well! I don't use grains so can't really do the QC thing, but used coconut meal. I had to use more half and half than an equal amount, actually a good bit more as it seemed the coconut simply absorbed whatever I put into it! That said, I added a bit of baking powder, a good dose of stevia and some cinnamon, and it was a great treat. Can I use the stiffer dough to make cookies? My husband who does not like stevia or coconut actually said it did not taste bad. I ordered some chocolate extract and some almond meal today, so I can add that to the ingredients list that I have on hand pretty soon. It's a great way to relieve boredom on a low carb diet.

I had chocolate extract once, it was nasty. Can you use cocoa powder? It is very low carb.

I'm glad the bowl muffin worked out for you! I have to add a ton of water and make it fairly soupy when I use coconut flour. Even then, I watch it like a hawk in the microwave so it doesn't overcook.
  #387   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-10, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/CKD Combo
Stats: 290/275/240 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress:

Well it's been quite some time since I made one of these. Haven't been on a Keto for a couple of years now. But now that I am back on low carb, I am going to give these a whirl again.

First up, I am going to try an Orange Rum cake. I bought Davinci Orange sugar free syrup so I will use that with some rum and I am going to put some ginger and clove in as well. If it is a success, I will let you guys know .

EDIT: Okay, first attempt was pretty successful .

1/2 cup of carb quick
1/4 cup of almond flour
~1/8 tsp of dry ginger (I use whole dry ginger and grate it on a microplane for best falvor)
~1/8 tsp of ground clove (I grind it right before use for best flavor)
1 egg
1/4 cup of DaVinci Sugar Free Orange Syrup
1 TBS Bacardi Rum
Enough Heavy Creme to bring it to a Pancake Batter consistency (Maybe 1/4 cup at most)

Mix all dry ingredients, add the wet stuff and mix it together well with a whisk. Split it up into 2 4" Oiled Ramekins and Microwave on high for 2 minutes.

The result was a very light/fluffy muffin that was moist and perfectly sweet for my tastes. It was almost like an angel food cake.

What I may try different next time is to use a little bit more ginger and clove and I may use Canola Oil or Hemp Milk to finish the batter instead of heavy creme. I am hoping the higher fat content will produce a denser cake more like pound cake instead of angel food cake.
  #388   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 04:17

Stats: 230/208/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default denseness

I thought the denseness has to do with how much liquid. I haven't been able to get a pound cake texture yet. What makes brownies cake like or fudge like? Maybe that would make the difference?
  #389   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekayak
I thought the denseness has to do with how much liquid. I haven't been able to get a pound cake texture yet. What makes brownies cake like or fudge like? Maybe that would make the difference?

Yeah, that is true. I could cut back on the liquids a bit, but by using a fat instead of a water based liquid to sufficiently wet the batter, that will result in less steam forming while in the microwave. Less steam means less bubbles forming in the batter which should result in a more dense cake.
  #390   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-10, 22:48
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Okay so the Lemon Poppyseed experiment was a mixed success.

I did 1/2 cup CarbQuick, 1/3 Almond Flour, 1.4 Tbs Splenda Granular, 2 Tbs Poppy Seeds, 1/8th tsp Lemon Zest (dry zest that I re-hydrated in a tsp of Rum) 1 tbs Lemon Juice, 1 Egg and I used maybe a Tbs of Mayonnaise to wet the batter just a bit. It was a pretty thick batter. Microwaved for 1 Minute 45 Seconds in a 1100 Watt microwave.

Result was nice and moist and much denser then my previous Orange Rum muffins. There was much less water based liquid in this one and the mayonaisse definitly helped maintain moisture.

The sweetness and the lemon flavor could definitly have used a boost though. Also a subtle mayonnaise aftertaste was present that I was not too fond of.

Next time I will try sour creme instead of mayo to moisten the batter, and I will up the splenda content a bit. I will also go buy some Absolut Limon vodka or Bacardi Limon rum (both have 0 carbs per serving) and use that instead of plain rum and I will up the amount of lemon zest. Will report back on how that works.

My next variation planned is German Chocolate Cake using the Davinci GCC Syrup, a mix of Natural and Dutch Processed Cocoa, and some chopped bakers chocolate. Perhaps I will moisten it with unsweetened chocolate almond milk for even more chocolaty goodness, lol.