Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 07:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default So, I'm wondering.. Vitamins

So, I was taking my nail polish off the other day and noticed I have black 'splinters' under my nail bed.. a few on each fingernail. After some research on the web and looking at my diet, I think I'm low in Vitamin C (which can cause these splinters) and sluggish weight loss and maybe Iodine which can cause low thyroid. My body temp has been quite low recently around 96 F, and since my weight loss is pretty much at a standstill, I thought maybe some supplements would get things going in the right direction.

So I bought Vitamin C gel caps and Iodine (from sea kelp) yesterday. I had heard that various B vitamins were a good idea too, and maybe Choline?

Do any of you take supplements to help with weight loss? If so, what do you take?

Delaney
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 09:44

Plan: Don't know yet
Stats: 145/145/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:

I take Vitamin B Complex, Biotin 5000 mcgs and I have a Women's One A Day Multi Vitamin but it is very hard on my stomach(makes me nauseaus) so I don't take it. I probably need to start taking some Calcium or Vitamin D.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 12:59

BF:

I was thinking VitaminD3 would be a good idea too. I don't get in the sun much at all because I mostly burn when I'm in it. I look like a lobster!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 16:27

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

I take biotin (for hair and nails mostly), a B complex, a vitamin D, and a vitamin A (for skin). I don't notice anything different with weightloss but every multivitamin I have ever taken makes me either throw up or feel nauseated no matter what I eat with it. I think iron makes me feel queasy as well.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 20:48

BF:

I had to take iron when I was anemic - before and after I had a hysterectomy. Made me a little constipated, not surprised it doesn't agree with others. I ate liver too.. lots of liver, but I *like* that. LOL
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-12, 21:06

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

I take 10000 units of d3, animal version, multivitamin which has most everything in it. I like liver to but don't eat it very often as the rest of my family doesn't like it. The liver really helps my stamina for exercise. Good luck on your journey.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 08:14

BF:

Yeah, I haven't been eating organ meat too much lately- my boyfriend is not a fan, however I may have to start eating it more. Such a good source of iron, vitamin A and other goodies.

I've been working out with kettlebells. lvl 2 of the Skogg system. Love it!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-04-12, 20:54

Plan: turtle style atkins
Stats: 202/166.4/145 Female 63 inches
BF:35.8%/29.5%/25.7%
Progress: 62%

I have found that moving my vitamins to the end of the day makes me much less nauseated!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 04:46

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I take biotin (for hair and nails mostly), a B complex, a vitamin D, and a vitamin A (for skin). I don't notice anything different with weightloss but every multivitamin I have ever taken makes me either throw up or feel nauseated no matter what I eat with it. I think iron makes me feel queasy as well.

1. Multivitamin nausea: Try a multivit in a gel capsule, it really helped me. No nasty melt in the back of the tongue if you can't swallow it fast enough, no vitamin belches later on.

2. B complex: those pills are the nastiest smelling/tasting things ever created! Try a liquid sublingual liquid B complex, the taste is much more palatable, and no yucky aroma or burps. The liquid isn't yummy, ok? But it isn't nasty either, I don't mind it, it has never hurt my stomach. If you only need the B12, there is a cherry flavored sublingual one that is quite good, plus, they are really cheap as far a vitamins go-I think it was less that $3 for 250 tabs.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 05:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have worked a long time to raise my Vit D levels, and it did not happen until I had been eating LCHF for about a year so the dietary fats could help with the conversion of Vit D, whether by sun or supplement. Strongly urge you to get your level tested first. have to know where to start before you guess at a supplement. The test can be expensive through a doctor, some use www.directlabs.com to monitor.
I also take biotin, C, and a multi.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 05:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySpider
1. Multivitamin nausea: Try a multivit in a gel capsule, it really helped me. No nasty melt in the back of the tongue if you can't swallow it fast enough, no vitamin belches later on.

2. B complex: those pills are the nastiest smelling/tasting things ever created! Try a liquid sublingual liquid B complex, the taste is much more palatable, and no yucky aroma or burps. The liquid isn't yummy, ok? But it isn't nasty either, I don't mind it, it has never hurt my stomach. If you only need the B12, there is a cherry flavored sublingual one that is quite good, plus, they are really cheap as far a vitamins go-I think it was less that $3 for 250 tabs.

Thanks for the tip with the multi.. I want to know what it is in the multi that makes me feel so nauseated and sometimes makes me actually throw up. As for the B complex.. I have 0 issues with it. I don't mind the taste of pills since they're only in my mouth for such a short time and I never smell them.. Recently I've been taking St. John's Wort and one other supplement that both smell PUTRID and sooo bad! Taste is yuuuuuuck as well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 08:46

Plan: My Own
Stats: 293/293/180 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Note on chewable Vit C: there was an article asking people to not get the chewable Vit C as it is an acid and not teeth friendly. I had never thought about it before, I knew it was an acid, but other than that, it just didn't cross my mind. I do take swallowable Vit C now, though. I told my son about it, plus maybe those "super sour" candies are not helping his teeth much either (citric acid coated). If your thinking (because I had) "Well, it isn't like I am sucking on the things, they don't stay in there very long", it was more about the residue the chewables left behind that was weakening the enamel. I couldn't find the original article, the kroger site* said to:
Quote:
Rinse or brush teeth after use to avoid causing tooth cavities.
after chewing the Vit C tablet.

*http://kroger.staywellsolutionsonli...Reference/26,42
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 08:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Thanks for the tip with the multi.. I want to know what it is in the multi that makes me feel so nauseated and sometimes makes me actually throw up. As for the B complex.. I have 0 issues with it. I don't mind the taste of pills since they're only in my mouth for such a short time and I never smell them.. Recently I've been taking St. John's Wort and one other supplement that both smell PUTRID and sooo bad! Taste is yuuuuuuck as well.

I had that issue with some multivitamins especially on an empty stomach. I think it is a mineral. It might be copper, zinc, or possibly magnesium. As long as I take it after eating, I'm fine.

B complex does smell terrible, but only when I open the bottle. No bad effects when I swallow it.

D3 is a good one to take if you don't get into the sun. 5,000 - 7,000 iu should raise most everyone's D3 levels. A decent maintenance level is around 5000 iu.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-12, 09:13

BF:

I get nauseated from multis no matter how much I eat, when I take them, at what point in the meal I take it.. I think it might be the zinc. I think you're on to something there. I vaguely remember taking a zinc supplement a while back and feeling just awful even after dinner.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 19:28

Stats: 179/173/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I take all my vitamins right before bed and they dont make me nauseated as they used to.