Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-09, 12:05

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Apple Cider Vinegar

Has anyone used this for weight loss or other health benefits? If so, were u successful and what did u use it for? It was in a women's magazine this past week.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-09, 17:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/198/160 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default this week....

Just this week I started drinking two tblsp in water or something....tastes nasty...but my joint and arthritis pain has GONE...amazing. I really think there is something to it...

I am hoping for a weight loss too...we will see.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-09, 22:47

BF:

I'm going to try it, also going to tell DD about it, she's a massage therapist and she is having wrist pain. It wouldn't hurt to do it if it helps her. Thanks for sharing!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-27-09, 22:48

BF:

Mary, how often do you do it? TWO TABLESPOONS? Man, I've been doing 1 tsp 3 times a day. Maybe I need to increase it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 07:24

BF:
Default once a day

goodness, I can't possibly drink it more often...if I split it up ....UGGGH.

just a couple of ounces in the bottom of a cup of juice or even water...and then a full cup of water to wash my poor mouth.
I've never liked vinegar of any sort....this isn't any different.

You should have seen me this weekend. my grandbaby was here at the house, and I "chased her" on all fours making puppy sounds....she was so excited and happy. When I finally stopped, she threw a tantrum...so i got down again.

And today...I DON"T HURT....this is amazing and the only thing I did to change anything is the apple cider vinegar. There are caplets you can buy...I'm going to look into it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-28-09, 07:25

BF:

I'm envious you beat that 200 mark...I feel like it will never come for me!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-29-09, 05:44

BF:

I've seen the ACV capsules, but does it have the mother in it? Maybe if we drink it, we weill get better results since there's more suffering to it.

I've taken a little bit each day, not the 2 Tbs like u, but I am doing it. I need to get a water bottle and put the 2 Tbs in it and drink it all day, that's what one website recommended. I googled it but haven't made it through all the websites yet. Interesting stuff!!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-30-09, 09:03

BF:
Default Wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca A
I've seen the ACV capsules, but does it have the mother in it? Maybe if we drink it, we weill get better results since there's more suffering to it.

I've taken a little bit each day, not the 2 Tbs like u, but I am doing it. I need to get a water bottle and put the 2 Tbs in it and drink it all day, that's what one website recommended. I googled it but haven't made it through all the websites yet. Interesting stuff!!!

I think you are so right! ROFL! Drinking it makes it a "suffering" kind of thing and hence...it ought to work better! My Dad wrote a book called collard greens...more to the point...he grew up having to EAT them daily! It was a source of nutrition and he had to pick the leaves as a little one. I guess that is why he is 84 and still playing with grandkids! Listen to the song Collard Greens on myspace or youtube...my little brother wrote it....too perfect....

I like the idea of putting it in some water to drink it all day. As Fat Flush suggests making your own sugarless cranberry juice...maybe we could mix that too! I'm game. I'll let you know.
Meanwhile...i am still crawling around on the floor...no PAIN!
Still stuck at 204 though...counting my carbs and calories today.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-01-09, 11:11

BF:

Still drinking my vinegar water. I out 1 tsp in each bottle (its a large water bottle) and drink it all day, also have about 1 tsp before meals to get it all in. My pants are a little loser too.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 13:38

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Some family friends take it for inflammation, she for hip pain, he for some kind of arthritis in his finger. I sort of thought it was nonsense before they told me that, but now I'm wondering.

Cure for Inflammatory Diseases -Cooling Inflammation blog

This guy has a theory about biofilms in the gut (it's like dental plaque, but in your gut) as a major cause of inflammation in the body. Traditional anti-inflammation treatments like bromelain from pineapple and apple cider vinegar might make living conditions harsh for the bacteria living in the biofilm, explaining why something like apple cider vinegar might reduce inflammation in remote parts of the body.

Quote:
There are numerous anecdotal reports of traditional, simple remedies working for essentially all diseases. Tantalizingly, many of these diseases are also occasionally successfully treated with antibiotics. The common thread seems to be the involvement of inflammatory gut flora and perhaps cryptic bacteria residing in the tissues displaying symptoms. Glucosamine works sometimes for arthritis, but little of the glucosamine that is eaten reaches the blood stream and the aching joints that seem to become less inflamed. Vinegar, pectin, and fiber have also been attributed with curative powers, yet none is likely to impact inflamed joints directly. Impacting gut biofilms is much easier to explain.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-02-09, 16:50

BF:

Teaser, thanks for the info. I don't now why it is working, I just know I don't hurt. I was having back stiffness in the morning due to arthritis...(that was recently discovered on my MRI)...and....now, I don't. It is such real relief....now, to stay with it...I'm still pretty young...52...and I watch my poor mom...anything I can do now to affect the arthritis, I will do.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 04:25

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca A
I'm going to try it, also going to tell DD about it, she's a massage therapist and she is having wrist pain. It wouldn't hurt to do it if it helps her. Thanks for sharing!

She should try Wobenzym or another proteolytic enzyme preparation for that wrist pain. I had tendinitis a couple of weeks ago and it was 95% gone after I took 3x 6 tablets of Wobenzym. I am now taking a smaller dosage prophylactically to keep it bay. Seems to be doing the trick!

amanda
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 04:34

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

By the way, I am about to go and get myself some ACV, too, as it may also help people who have low stomach acid. If you have low stomach acid, you cannot absorb magnesium well, and I think I need to get my magnesium stores stocked up.

I would stay well clear of ACV capsules, though! I am going to make a concoction of raw honey with ACV - the real thing, unpasteurized and therefore still actually alive and fermenting - and filtered water. ACV by itself is too tart for my throat.

I cannot believe that ACV capsules have live bacteria in them. They will have been killed in the factory.

I am very interested to hear that the ACV helps with arthritis as I have had trouble with stiffness in my right hand lately. If the ACV makes that go, I will be overjoyed!!!

I am already taking Wobenzym, which contains, amongst other things, bromelain and it does help with inflammation in general, but the arthritic stiffness in the mornings has not quite gone. I suspect I need to take wheat out of my diet, but I haven't managed that yet.

Will keep you posted on my new experiences.

Oh, and btw, you can also just use your ACV in salad dressings instead of "regular" vinegar - you won't notice any difference - at least none of us here did! I used 1/3 olive oil, 1/3 white balsamic vinegar, 1/3 ACV plus Dijon mustard and nobody complained that the dressing was weird or different from normal.

amanda
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 22:34

BF:

Hey, thanks Amanda! I will tell my daughter about that!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-09, 22:39

BF:

Yeah... have replaced apple cider vinegar in all my dressings or anything else that I can replace it with... seems llike a smart thing to do. Can't hurt!!!