Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 18:52
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%
Default pain

Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure that I was over doing it with the weights, so this past week I reduced the weight for each work out, and so far no headaches. I am also drinking more water and continuing to stretch when I think of it. When I over do I end up feeling like someone has hit me in the back of the neck with an axe. The stiffness and pain can be soooooooo bad. I tend to 'over do' everything so I always need to watch that. I heard from one doctor that Fibro is a sleeping disorder. Has anyone else been told that? I know for sure that my sleep is directly connected to the pain because when I wake up I hurt and don't ever enjoy that well rested feeling. I actually look forward to getting up and moving around because then I have less pain. I used to take elivil and it helped me to sleep but I think it kept me too still all night, I think I do better if I move around a lot, movement is a good think so sleeping like a drugged rock is not in my best interests.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 19:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibromyalgia

Joyce,
Yes, Fibromyalgia definitely disturbs sleep. Do I think that it contributes to FMS or does FMS contribute to it? Who knows, it's like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I totally agree with the need to keep moving. The most I'm at rest before sleep is the hour or two before bed when I lay and read, otherwise, it's very difficult for me to remain sitting for long.
Weight training is a definite plus and you may very well be able to build up to more ... but allow your body to be the barometer.
I'm still not sure how much this low carb eating has helped the FMS but I'm definitely less stiff on waking and I'm truly not experiencing the kind of pain I used to. The most astonishing part of this for me is the increased energy. In fact, it may be contributing to my difficulty falling asleep at a reasonable hour, or it may just be the summer hours I'm keeping. But so far, I'm more than pleased with not having the constant pain and accompanying fatigue.
Sheryl
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:57

Plan: Schwarzbein II, BA, IS
Stats: 125.4/119.2/115 Female 5'1" small frame
BF:33% /??? / 20%?
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailT
I posted a message a few weeks ago about help for fibro.
Nobody has commented on it so this will be the last post that I'll put up here.

I'm done sharing information that will help only to have it ignored.
Live with your pain if you like.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So there!!!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 162/156/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:

I take a drug called neurontin that has made my life so much better. Ask your doctor. I wasn't able to work because the fibro. was so bad, but I'm back to cutting hair!!
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:47

Plan: dont know
Stats: 183/160/135 Female 62inches
BF:29%
Progress:

Hi i've been diagnosed with fibromyalgia,cfs,irritable bowel,bladder, have gained a lot of weight, have lost 2sts,now i'm losing 1lb per week any advice as to how to speed up weight loss
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 08:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Trudy,
Try Atkins Induction for 2 weeks.
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:17
Contributing Member

Hey Bump, do you notice any side affects from the neurontin? I was checking it out and it looks like there might be some nasty ones. How long have you been taking it and what is the dose? (If you don't mind my asking) Thanks...
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default fibro and neurontin

Hey Joyce In Tennessee
I Will Gladly Tell You About The Neurontin Because It Has Made My Life So Much Better. I Wasn' T Able To Work Anymore Before I Went On It. I Take 300 Mg. In The Morning. If I Am Over Doing It During The Day Or It Is Rainy (that Seems To Make My Symptons Worse.) I Take An Extra One In The Afternoon,.i Have Been On It For Over A Year. I Have My Blood Done Every 6 Months To Check For Liver Function Etc....there Are Other Women I Know Who Are Now Taking It Since They Saw The Change In Me And They Are Also Doing Well. The Only Side Effect I Have Experienced Is Thirst. No Trouble Drinking My Quanity Of Water On Atkins. Brain Fog Was Lifted The Very Next Day I Started Taking It . No More Depression. Please Talk To Your Doctor About It. It Has Truely Changed My Life!!! I Hope All The Best For You!!!!
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

Bump,
I was excited to see your post. I'm glad it works so well for you. I did a little research on it and then talked with a friend of mine who tried it......unfortunately it did nothing for her.

Here's hoping we all find something!

I know what you mean about the rain.....it kills me. It has been raining all weekend
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 19:10
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. I found it on line for about $35 for 30 100mg. tablets. That is a low dose, so it will be expensive for me if I need more. I thought I would try it at that dose to start and see if I have any improvements. I have been telling people for years that rain worsens my condition and they kind of look at me like I was nuts. I can sometimes tell it's raining in the morning when I wake up just because I feel so bad. thanks again..
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 07:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default neurontin

Joyce.....i Am So Happy That You Are Going To Try The Neurontin. Please Let Me Know If It Helps You. I Have Been Trying To Tell Everyone I Know With Fibro. About This Med. Because It Has Improved My Life Sooooo..much. It Is Not A Cure But It Makes Life So Much More Enjoyable And Pain Free. Now If We Can Just Figure Out What Is Causing This Condition Maybe We Can Rid The Planet Of It Once And For All!!!!!!!
Let Me Know , Would You???
Bump