Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 10:38
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/120/100 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 60%

Ruthla, You may be able to use some of the recipe ideas that pop up online, as I saw, by doing a Google search with the phrase "kosher nonwheat bread". Good luck
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 10:54
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 150/120/100 Female 5 ft
BF:
Progress: 60%

Ruthla, You posted that "My biggest problem right now is that I have to schlep DS to the pool every day from noon til 1PM and I do very poorly being out in the summer heat."

Don't know if it might work but it's just an idea. If your son has a neighborhood friend whose Mom takes to the pool every day at the same time as your son, maybe your son could go with his friend since you are having health problems just now?

If you already bake your own bread, maybe you could make an extra one for which she might be willing to barter (a loaf of homemade bread) in exchange for transportation to & from the pool for your son. If not, is there anyone in your circle who might help? If the pool is for summer activity, thankfully school will be starting within a month (for most) and the pools close.

Is there a support group either online or that meets in your area that might be able to offer further suggestions or help with the problems related to your illness? Sounds like you need an angel (or a couple friends) to lend a helping hand. Hope things are looking up for you soon.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:38

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda85
Ruthla, You posted that "My biggest problem right now is that I have to schlep DS to the pool every day from noon til 1PM and I do very poorly being out in the summer heat."

We only did that for 2 weeks, and it turns out my Mom was able to take him 2 days a week. Then for the next 2 week session I signed him up for the 11:00 class, and then when that session was over I didn't sign him up for any more lessons. Now we're only going to the pool AFTER all the daily chores are completed, staying home when it's too hot or I just don't feel like going, and we may go this afternoon (well past the heat of the day.) We haven't gone all week, actually.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 16:34

Plan: Dr. Kwasniewski's Ratios
Stats: 198.4/142.2/140 Female 66"
BF:Finally Normal!
Progress: 96%

Sorry, I know I'm coming in a little late on this thread. I'm a newbie! I've been gluten free for almost a year this time (my second try with it). I have fibro and a weird swelling thing that is tons better gluten free. You have to be real careful about everything you ingest or even lick, including envelopes! There is a lot of hidden gluten out there. Here is a great list of foods that are o.k.: http://homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf
Oats is controversial; some say they're o.k. and others say they're not. I ate them with no problems. And don't think you can take bread off a sandwich and still eat the insides with no problems; the microscopic stuff you can't see will kick your butt! I know; been there, done that, won't ever do it again!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-07, 16:36

Plan: Dr. Kwasniewski's Ratios
Stats: 198.4/142.2/140 Female 66"
BF:Finally Normal!
Progress: 96%

Oh, one more thing, non-wheat does not equal gluten free. Good luck and hope you get better!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 11:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

My plan is to go completely grain-free for a few weeks, and then test grains other than wheat individually. If I find I can tolerate grains other than wheat, or at least one of them anyway, then I'll probably start using that for challah making so I would be able to eat the same challah as everybody else in the family. The only grains that I could use for this purpose are the gluten-containing grains (wheat, barley, spelt, or rye)- other "grains" are not considered grains in Jewish law and couldn't fulfill the "challah" requirement for those without allergies.

I've already verified that half a slice of (wheat) bread with a meal leads to an upset tummy, and that I tolerate rice without problems.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 12:30

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
My plan is to go completely grain-free for a few weeks, and then test grains other than wheat individually. If I find I can tolerate grains other than wheat, or at least one of them anyway, then I'll probably start using that for challah making so I would be able to eat the same challah as everybody else in the family. The only grains that I could use for this purpose are the gluten-containing grains (wheat, barley, spelt, or rye)- other "grains" are not considered grains in Jewish law and couldn't fulfill the "challah" requirement for those without allergies.

I've already verified that half a slice of (wheat) bread with a meal leads to an upset tummy, and that I tolerate rice without problems.

Oh, thoise grain religions. We are Catholic and my husband cannot take communion anymore. I hope it gets better for you.

Janine
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 13:12

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I have made bread using a recipe that uses rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch flour. I have the book The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman that has a lot of good recipes and advice. Not LC but what else can we do besides go without!

Last edited by JAnn : Thu, Aug-16-07 at 13:18.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 13:16

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Here is a recipe I found for Challah at www.glutenfreeforum.com

hallah (Egg Bread)
(parve)

1 1/2 cups cornstarch
3/4 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
3 T almond meal
1 T xanthan gum
1 package red star quickrise yeast
1 t salt

1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
2 T dry potato flakes
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
3 eggs + 1 egg yolk

Directions:
1. Mix dry ingredients in heavy duty mixer
2. Dissolve potato flakes in warm water, and add slowly to mixer
3. Add oil and honey
4. Add eggs and mix until blended
5. Beat on High speed for 2 minutes - batter should look like pudding
6. Spoon batter into greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pan (I spray with Pam, and use dark Teflon pan)
7. Smooth top surface of batter using WET hand
8. Cover pan with plastic wrap (spray underside of plastic sheet with Pam so it won't stick to batter as it rises)
9. Let rise in warm place for about 35 minutes or until reaches top of pan
(I turn my oven on warm for 30-60 seconds, turn off, then use as warm place for rising)
10. Using fine serrated knife, cut 2 diagonal lines across top of bread about 1/8 inch deep (lets steam escape)
11. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes (cover with foil after 20 minutes if top gets too brown)
12. Transfer to wire cooling rack, rub top with margerine while still hot.

Enjoy!