Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default I am not hungry

Hello friends,

I've been eating low carb for 14 days now and I am now 8lbs down as of this morning. I wanted to run something by you more experienced folks. I've noticed that suddenly, perhaps since about 4 days ago, I am just not hungry any more. My calorie intake is now around 1,300 max per day. Not because I am trying not to eat but simply because I don't feel hungry. Is that OK or should I force myself to eat more? I mean, as you can see in my stats, I weight 285 lbs right now, so 1,300 kCal seems low. But if I feel full and not hungry, shouldn't I just listen to my body? I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks about this issue?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 11:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is exactly what should happen. In fact, it is common to return to Duke clinic in two weeks, and Dr Westman wants to hear "I’m not hungry anymore or I have lost all cravings for x sugary food, etc" Its a sure sign you are doing the plan correctly and are solidly in ketosis, don’t need to test urine or anything else. Sadly this doesn’t last forever, but what happens is the appetite "normalizes". You eat a protein and fat meal with little carbohydrate and you may not be hungry again for 6 hours. Compared to when I had a huge LF bagel and be ravenous three hours later. This is what makes Time Restricted Eating a normal part of a Ketogenic diet. Many are not hungry when they awake so a coffee will do, have a light snack mid-afternoon, then a good LC dinner. You are no longer hungry for snacks, all day grazing stops. Perfect.

KCKO .... Keep Calm and Keto On.

Quote:
On a ketogenic diet, your entire body switches its fuel supply to run mostly on fat, burning fat 24-7. When insulin levels become very low, fat burning can increase dramatically. It becomes easier to access your fat stores to burn them off.6 This is great if you’re trying to lose weight, but there are also other less obvious benefits, such as LESS HUNGER and a steady supply of energy. This may help keep you alert and focused.7

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Apr-21-19 at 12:03.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 12:06
Registered Member

BF:

Wow, that's exactly what I do right now. I have my coffee in the morning and then a couple of boiled eggs around 2-3pm and then I have my LC supper later on. Good to know it's OK to do that. Thank you!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 14:15

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Ron
I've noticed that suddenly, perhaps since about 4 days ago, I am just not hungry any more. My calorie intake is now around 1,300 max per day. Not because I am trying not to eat but simply because I don't feel hungry. Is that OK or should I force myself to eat more? I mean, as you can see in my stats, I weight 285 lbs right now, so 1,300 kCal seems low. But if I feel full and not hungry, shouldn't I just listen to my body? I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks about this issue?

The calories that you're taking in externally might only be 1300 or so, but the rest will be coming from within. That's basically what ketosis is, a metabolic state where your body has unfettered access to its internal energy stores. So when that's happening, it actually makes perfect sense that you don't need to be eating as much as before.

Should you listen to your body? Absolutely. Eat when you're hungry, don't when you're not, just as before. As Janet said, the fact that you're just not getting as hungry as often anymore is a good sign that you're doing things right. Keep up the good work!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-19, 20:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sounds like all systems are go . . . being consistent with your WOE is giving good results. Metabolic response is adjusting to getting used to fat burning. Fat is an excellent fuel (cleaner than glucose) and keeps things humming. When the onboard fat is available, no need to be hungry for anything else. Remember, things cycle and change over time. Go with the flow. Enjoy the journey!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 07:12

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Ron
Hello friends,

I've been eating low carb for 14 days now and I am now 8lbs down as of this morning. I wanted to run something by you more experienced folks. I've noticed that suddenly, perhaps since about 4 days ago, I am just not hungry any more. My calorie intake is now around 1,300 max per day. Not because I am trying not to eat but simply because I don't feel hungry. Is that OK or should I force myself to eat more? I mean, as you can see in my stats, I weight 285 lbs right now, so 1,300 kCal seems low. But if I feel full and not hungry, shouldn't I just listen to my body? I am curious to hear what everyone else thinks about this issue?

Had this hit me the first week and I clocked a 700 calorie day, oops Guess it's a common occurrence with lower carb eating, caught me off guard but now I'm being more intentional about eating at scheduled times so that should correct any issues with not eating enough calories.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-19, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:

As long as things are moving in the right direction, I guess I will just listen to my body. 10 lbs less since 14 days ago, as of this morning, wooohooo! I am pumped, my friends! Starting with the weight training as of tomorrow, that was the plan since the day one. Two weeks of a strict cardio, which was 30 min or more of a fast paced walking or elliptical every day for two weeks, and then hit the weights 3 days per week and cardio the other 3 days, and one day off. First 10lbs down, going for the next 10 starting now! 💪💪
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 08:23
Registered Member

BF:

For anyone interested, here is my weight loss chart. I've started with Keto on April 8, so 2 weeks ago...

#9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-19, 11:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Guess that chart's downward progress is enough to reinforce the lifestyle . . .
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 06:21
Registered Member

BF:

Another pound down. So, a bit over 13 lbs since April 8. According to the chart and my calculation, I am losing 4 lbs per week on average. It will probably slow down soon, but let's hope it continues like this for another month before it does.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 06:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Great job! It must be nice to be lifting some cold iron again.

I just hope you don't beat me to 180
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 08:01
Registered Member

BF:

LOL I am sure you will get there much sooner. 180 is a ball-park figure for me. I remember I was 180 when I was 20 and in a military, and I was very ripped back then. Of course, that was 25 years ago, so 180 then might be more like 200 right now, depending on how much muscle I manage to keep in the process of losing fat. I'll re-evaluate later on, once I reach 200. Or, if I turn out to look like Dwayne The Rock Johnson when I hit 220, maybe I'll stop there
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 06:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
KCKO .... Keep Calm and Keto On.

I 💗 this!

I’d say if you look like The Rock, you are doing something right

Turns out, I need to get really low to hit ketosis, which I did, and it is amazing. This is how vision quests get powered!

I think the stress issues I’ve been dealing with also get solved with this body state, since my sleep and energy have improved, too. I’m also dealing with reduced appetite, as I’m on a stretch of one meal a day.

However, this means my body is reaching my stored fat, which is exactly what I want. It’s a funny thing, too, because I don’t even want to eat unless I am really hungry, at which time food magically turns into something I really want. Once satiated, the food becomes no longer appealing.

How many of us really knew how our appetite works? For years, I ate to make those screaming sugar cravings GO AWAY more than being actually hungry.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-05-19, 02:56

Plan: lchf
Stats: 375/250/200 Female 184
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

How many of us really knew how our appetite works? For years, I ate to make those screaming sugar cravings GO AWAY more than being actually hungry.

This 1000x over, first time lc'ing was successful for about 6 years but I ended up piling on weight again because I hadn't tackled my emotional eating problem. Now staying on top of my moods, writing them out, and just letting myself feel bored, angry, depressed, and letting it pass has helped tremendously. It turns out I have a low appetite if I stay away from my binge triggers (any and all carbs..low glycemic or not)