Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-19, 14:24

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default The Arthritis/Bursitis diet (it's low carb - plus)

I have inherited bursitis in my hip from my father (he didn't do it on purpose). I also developed some arthritis from an injury to a little finger playing basketball.

About 15 years ago the bursitis was so painful I couldn't walk two blocks without stopping to sit. Due to the injured finger I avoided playing G#s on my sax because that little finger didn't like the stiff G# key and on the guitar I substituted my ring finger.

A doctor recommended the Arthritis/Bursitis diet. As he wasn't my doctor, he told me it's always good to check with your primary before changing your diet. Being self-employed and uninsured I had no primary so I just went with it.

In two months I was 90% better, In 6 months 99% better. Now I walk 4 miles a day a few times per week, I don't skip the G# notes and I use the pinky finger on the guitar fretboard.

I quit taking SAMe, Ibuprofen, MSM, Nettle Leaf, and ginger, ... plus I no longer rub emu oil (Blue Emu), Ben-Gay, and Boswellia creams into my hip. I still take Glucosamine and Chondroitin because the same doctor recommended that saying they will supply sulfur which is needed to keep the cartilage healthy.

I went from a candidate for hip replacement to 99.99% cured. Once or twice a year I might get a slight discomfort in the hip where I used to have stabbing pain. The discomfort is not enough to call pain or even irritation, just enough dull sensation to remind me that I used to have pain there. It's usually caused by my eating something I know I shouldn't like a couple of eggs.

Everyone I have shared this diet with have had great results with it. I don't know of a single person that it hasn't worked for unless they cheated or quit the diet.

Do you have arthritis or bursitis and want to be pain free without drugs?

Here is the diet:

For both arthritis and bursitis, treatment is similar:

Try the dietary approach first, and if that doesn't work, take stronger action.

Foods that may contribute to chronic inflammation are foods with a high glycemic index (foods that convert to sugar quickly), such as fruit juices, sugars, simple starches, or rice cakes, foods heavy in polyunsaturated or saturated fats, and foods high in arachidonic acid. Some specific foods to avoid are:

* Fatty cuts of red meat (high in saturated fats) lean is good
* Organ meats: liver, kidney, and so forth (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Egg yolks (very high in arachidonic acid)
* Poultry - chicken, duck, turkey (very high in arachadonic acid)
* Pasta (high glycemic index)
* Juices (high glycemic index)
* Rice, especially rice cakes (high glycemic index)
* White bread (substitute whole grain breads such as rye)
* Nightshade Plants bother many people (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplants, peppers, paprika)

Better choices are foods with a low glycemic index and foods that are heavy in monounsaturated fats. Some specific good foods are:

* Salmon and other fish
* Oatmeal
* Low glycemic fresh fruits and vegetables
* Olives and olive oil
* Peanuts and other nuts
* Whey proteins
* Lean beef is good, 100% grass fed is better

Glycemic index charts can be found on the Internet.

Since I'm keto I need less carbs and more fat than this diet suggests. I eat fewer than 20 cabs/day and for fats I found that coconut oil, MCT oil, nut butters, pork fat and cheese/butter do not bother me.

If I eat egg yolks I'll feel it the next day, same for chicken, so I avoid them. I never liked organ meats so that didn't matter.

I was low carb before I found this diet, and I've followed it since around 2005. the hip and finger are still just fine.

I know the diet is limiting, but I strongly believe if I can tackle a problem with diet, and avoid prescriptions medications and NSAIDs and the damage they do while alleviating the problem, I'm better off in the long run.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 00:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

That's awesome, Bob. I completely agree that a lot of chronic inflammatory conditions are happening because you're eating something that's making your immune system get angry.

I first heard of arachidonic acid from Protein Power Lifeplan, and the Drs Eades stated that not everyone is sensitive to it. I think this is true of many of these pro-inflammatory foods. I also think it's a matter of "the dose makes the poison." I will flare up big time with a serving of corn on the cob, for example, but there are traces of corn in deli meats (corn syrup solids, etc) and it doesn't bother me. I also seem to flare up with nuts.

I think there are two elephants in the room this doctor is missing: grains, and seed oils.

My first clue that I had a problem with gluten was one of my knuckles swelling as if someone had hit me with a hammer. Then it appeared in the knuckle on the opposite hand. I've been gluten-free and pain-free for about a decade now... but if I cheated or accidentally consumed enough gluten? It comes back, and even popped up on other knuckles.

If this sounds complicated and overwhelming... well, eventually you get so fed up of the pain that you're willing to buckle down and try anything, right? I tweaked my diet back in the spring even more strict than it already is, because I was tired of ten months of chronic painful shoulder tendinitis that just wouldn't go away. Like the initial jump to "normal" Atkins or LC, it just takes some planning ahead and more mindful shopping.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 09:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I too fight bursitis/arthritis by avoiding things that inflame me. Arachidonic acid doesn't seem to bother me so red meat and eggs are not a problem (though flaxseeds and eggs from hens fed flax inflame me), but grains, peanuts and other legumes cause rapid inflammation. 1-2T of peanut butter cause my old knuckle and wrist injuries to swell as if someone had hit me with a hammer.

Grain and dairy proteins also inflamed my sinuses, so avoiding them too allowed me do get off daily Claritin, Sudafed and NSAIDs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-19, 19:34
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

At 74 I'm pain free and prescription free as long as I remain strictly LCHF. While my fingers are knotty, they no longer burn, but I know the burning will return if I stray. This is great incentive.

Also used to have some pain in other joints and some numbness on the edge of my feet, but all that went away.

I eat tomatoes, maybe once every two weeks I can have egg. I use HWC and if I find myself craving it, I eat liver. No grains. I eat simple, whole foods.

I stopped taking most joint supplements about a year ago, although I take cod liver oil.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 17:36

BF:

Bravo to those doing it with diet.

IMO if you can do it with diet instead of meds, you will be better off in the long run.

Fix the problem at the source.

The Arthritis/Bursitis diet worked for me and my DW. She is not OK with nightshades, I can eat them but do so sparingly.

Pain and prescription free is a good way to be.

Bob
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-19, 21:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bob, question. Have you compared free range eggs versus conventional? Or organic v. conventional? Also, I wonder if freshness matters. Conventional eggs are not very fresh compared to having a few hens.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 13:10

BF:

I tried pasture raised eggs (Happy Eggs Brand), and eggs from my neighbor's hens and I can feel it the next day. Just a little but enough to reconfirm that I should stay away.

Chicken and turkey do the same to a lesser extent, and both eggs and fowl have multiple times more arachidonic acid than any other food.

Like the carb foods I no longer eat, I sometimes miss them, but would rather be healthy, pain free and prescription free than enjoy the "forbidden fruit".

I follow the diet I posted, and the bursitis and arthritis symptoms are both gone.

And I'm not spending a fortune on OTC joint support either.

Bob
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 04:10

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

For me its vegetable oil. Cutting down has no effect. Once it was out of my diet I was 99% fixed. I can have a handful of crisps now but I'll feel it for the next two days. (Hence I've only eaten them twice in last 10 weeks).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I tried pasture raised eggs (Happy Eggs Brand), and eggs from my neighbor's hens and I can feel it the next day. Just a little but enough to reconfirm that I should stay away.

Chicken and turkey do the same to a lesser extent, and both eggs and fowl have multiple times more arachidonic acid than any other food.

Like the carb foods I no longer eat, I sometimes miss them, but would rather be healthy, pain free and prescription free than enjoy the "forbidden fruit".

I follow the diet I posted, and the bursitis and arthritis symptoms are both gone.

And I'm not spending a fortune on OTC joint support either.

Bob

100% behind you on treating the root cause of ailments. Meds just mask the issue, not fix.

I was just curious if how the chicken was fed had an effect on the amount of AA the eggs or meat contained.

Yesterday was my tomato test. Only fresh from garden tomatoes. and no cheeses other than sour cream the days before, no dairy the day of the trial. Hands are good today. So fresh tomatoes are not a problem at this time.
Have a pile of eggplant, so that is the next trial.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 09:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
100% behind you on treating the root cause of ailments. Meds just mask the issue, not fix.

I was just curious if how the chicken was fed had an effect on the amount of AA the eggs or meat contained.

Yesterday was my tomato test. Only fresh from garden tomatoes. and no cheeses other than sour cream the days before, no dairy the day of the trial. Hands are good today. So fresh tomatoes are not a problem at this time.
Have a pile of eggplant, so that is the next trial.

I have read that it's the feed that causes the fowl and the eggs to have so much AA, but it wasn't from a trusted source. That doesn't mean it's wrong, but it doesn't mean it's right either.

I just know the doc did me good by providing me with the diet instead of recommending a hip replacement or prescription drugs.

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 09:34

BF:

A good doctor for sure. A rarity.

I'm betting it could be feed driven too. Certainly the levels of VitA, and omega3's is decided by the feed. Chickens that free range have access to lots of greens to supplement their diet. Our eggs were a deep orange.

I'm down to a few hens. The down side of freeranging is predation.