Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 15:22

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Increase is correct!!!!! 2 lbs!!!!! So used the left over pasta in fridge for lunch today, and will start tomorrow fresh. I wouldnt say Im going to do induction , but I will say Im going to keep my carbs under 40, and ride my bike atleast 3 days a week(5miles to start). Not worried about the carb blockers for now. I am going to try and lay off the Atkins bread and bagels. Stick to all veggies, nuts, meats, and fats like sour cream, avocado, etc. I wanted to be down to 140 by Thanksgiving. I dont think its too late.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

rrmalns

I thought I was the only one with results like yours, sorry to hear about the gain by the way. My trials have turned out exactly the same, usually a two pound gain that goes away within a week if I return to LC eating. What did they do, nothing same results with or without them. I have to believe they are a scam. You have a couple of weeks to dump a few pounds, I am trying to trim five by then at least because right after turkey day is Christmas and that means a few more great meals.

BRat
  #123   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:31
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi all! I was gone all day yesterday, but caught up on the postings since my last visit. I picked up my Carboban (at the Post Office) yesterday morning and took them according to directions (2 - 10 minutes before lunch and dinner). I was down a pound this morning but that may have been a fluke as my carbs were relatively low. My plan for next week (vacation) is to LC when I can and just take it easy if I get stuck in a situation with carbs. I'll continue to take the blocker and report my results upon my return. If I just stay the same weight I'd be happy! Then my next challenge will be LasVegas (I can handle Thanksgiving!). But I'm thinking that with all the great buffets I should be ok.

Bayrat-I've stayed at different places during our visits. Excaliber was inexpensive and the room was pretty large but it seemed kinda "beat" to me, like it needed refurbishing. Then we stayed in a time share across from the Orleans (Club de Soleil). That was GREAT! It was huge with a full kitchen. They ran a shuttle service so being a bit away from the strip didn't really matter. This time we're doing the timeshare thing again but will be right on the strip at the Polo Towers (next door to MGM). I'd love to stay at Bellagio, but same as you...the price tag would get in the way!
Since I was in Henrietta yesterday I stopped at Lori's Natural Foods. The place is huge! I did get my almond flour but they don't carry too many low-carb products. I will try the Root Cellar next time I'm out that way...
How'd you like that wind last night and this morning?
  #124   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 12:19

BF:

Weighed in at 148 this morning. Changing my stats now. Started fresh this morning with the diet. Once the loaf of Atkins bread and bagels are gone, I will try not to purchase anymore until I reach 140.

Menu as been good so far,
Breakfast- Cinnamon Raisin bagel w/cream cheese
Lunch - Rostisserie chicken from WalMart w/Ranch and hot sauce
Dinner - Will be stuffed bell peppers

Hope it only takes me a few days to get back to 145. As of today I only have two weeks to drop down to 140. We are going to have Thanksgiving dinner with family but we have friends we want to drop in on while were there, so I really want to be at 140.
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:47

BF:

Ceetee,

Lost a very large spruce tree yesterday, the winds here were clocked in excess of 70mph in some areas. I have had enough wind/ice damage this year to last a loooong time.

I believe you will be heading out tomorrow? Have a safe and enjoyable trip, can't wait to get away again myself, too much business lately to have time to enjoy myself.

Brat
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:42
Registered Member

BF:

Brat...Hey, that's what I'm usually called! except with the word "spoiled" in front of it !!

I never remember winds blowing that hard for that long around here...it sounded like my windows were going to pop out (or in) at any time.

I'm all ready to go...don't treasure the thought of getting up at the crack of dawn, although I used to do it every day when I was at "the big yellow box".

I don't know if its an effect of the carb blocker, but my stomach has been rumbling all afternoon...not loud or anything...I mean, I didn't disturb the neighbors! Did you find that ever happened to you?

Thanks for the nice send-off...will post when I return.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 12:15

Stats: 193/170/130 Female 61 inches
BF:BMI 32
Progress: 37%

Just a quick note about the carb blockers. I was told by someone that they not only block carbs but also will "pull" out other valuable vitamins and minerals from your body.
I decided not to take the ones that I bought. I decided that it was better to eat well instead of expected a pill to block out the bad stuff I was eating.
Lois
  #128   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 14:59
Registered Member

BF:

I'm baaaaaack...
And I didn't gain a pound!!!!
I tried sticking to LC and was actually surprized that I was able to do so without too much effort. Had smoked turkey legs alot for lunch. The only really weird thing that I did do was one morning (just before a tour we took at Magic Kingdom) my husband got a bagel and I ate his cream cheese! Gross, huh?
I tended to "indulge" only a bit at dinner, having wine and a little of the starch that was served with my meal (like polenta or risotto), never bread!
and maybe little bits of fruit that might have been in my salad or sauce. But I did take the carb blockers every day as well.
Now, to be fair, I did walk an average of 5 miles a day...so, who knows!?!
I'm back on the straight and narrow today...actually going to continue on Induction till I start loosing again.
Not much activity on this thread in my absence...Hey Bayrat, you still out there?
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 18:26

BF:

Hi CeeTee, glad to hear your back! Good to hear you didnt ruin the diet. Are you going to continue to use the carb blockers?

Bayrat, are you still using carb blockers?
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 142/116/106 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayrat
There is a reason for that Bette. As you probably know, they don't eat the junk along with the rice. Meat is used as a garnish if they can afford it and you don't see it mixed with General Tso sweet sauce. Besides, they have to work their buts off to survive.

Hi Bayrat - in response to your post (No 48 on pg 4),

although i agree that asian people in rural areas need to be physically active to survive, there are many asians in european/american etc countries who still eat rice, and still remain slim.

Also i notice that asian kids at schools enjoy sports LESS than the other kids. i live in new zealand, and i see lots of caucasian/pacific people playing sports, jogging etc, but HARDLY ANY ASIANS doing this

Apart from rice, noodles etc are actually part of many asian people's daily menu - especially now with the convenience of 2-minute noodles, frozen pre-made dumplings and dim sums.

also, i dunno about in america, but the asian people in new zealand eat out a lot at asian restaurants (where they serve mainly high-carb foods), but they're still slimmer overall.
actually around the city/central suburb areas, there are like 2-3 asian restaurants/food places opening every month...and i know many asian people who go to yum cha every few days and eat lots of high-carb foods, but still stay slim

even asian people in cities like shanghai, hongkong, etc. are usually slimmer than caucasian people, and they don't do much exercise at all, and many of them dont have to be physically active to survive

Therefore, i think that your explanation can apply to asian people in rural areas, but it doesn't apply to asian people living in big cities, or asians who have moved to different countries
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 18:53

BF:

Hi everyone, I'm back as well. Been busy around here with the storm of last week and just got a minute to log on, thanks for asking.

I am still using the blockers RRmalns. Don't really see any difference one way or the other but since I had mail-ordered two bottles worth some time ago I am using them up. CeeTee, you did not gain weight and that is a good incentive to keep going eh. I bought some size 34 jeans at Old Navy last night and they are actually loose, now my head is bigger . I was up on one of my poles wearing a tight shirt wiring in some new lights and the Avon Lady pulled in the driveway, did not recognize me until I said something to her, felt pretty good.

Hope you both are able to make it through the holidays without too much damage. I plan on letting go with some potatoes, stuffing and pumpkin pie at my sister's house Thursday! Then I'll have a month to recover prior to the Christmas feasts, that will be the tough one with all the candy and other sweets.

Nice to hear from you both again!
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 19:00

BF:

I'm sure you are more informed on the subject than I 138. The information I cited comes from articles I have read in the past that identified high sugar/high fat/high carb combinations as the culprit, increasing the heart problems in asians as they succumb to an unhealthy western diet. I am sure genetics play a part as well, as you suggest.
  #133   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 20:01

BF:

Way TO Go Bayrat!!!! Size 34, , thats great!!! I think you will do just fine over the holidays. I had to buy an outfit the other day for a STyx concert and bought a size 10 in Levis. I was bubbling over with joy .

I printed off a recipe for pecan pie on this website> Im going to make it on Wednesday for my Thanksgiving dessert! I need to get stricter with myself on the diet.
Renee
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-03, 20:34

BF:

Bayrat,
I just ran across a thread where you posted you have a Harley. My DH has a harley too, its in the garage and needs something minor to work again. My mom in law has been riding harleys since she was a young adult and owns a pretty new one herself. Her fiance is the vice president of the Rolling Thunder chapter where they live. They both are in several different riding clubs. I would have guessed you were a harley rider by your picture. Ive been trying to get my DH to teach me to ride but Im wondering if he thinks Im joking.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:57
Registered Member

BF:

Boy, you both are doing great (b-rat & Rr)!!!
I'm settling back into Induction...went grocery shopping this morning (the cupboards were bare) and stocked up on a bunch of meat. We recently bought one of those vacuum packing gizmos and it works quite well at keeping frozen meat staying fresh. I also have been picking up a few different LC products here and there (B-rat, my local Wegmans has considerably increased its Atkins line recently and I also took advantage of the 30%coupon in Sunday's paper for the Vitamin Store) and will be trying some LC recipes. When its cold outside I love hot soup and there are a number of recipes in the LC cookbook I recently purchased. I 'm also going to try the recipe for waffles as I'm getting pretty tired of eggs for breakfast.
I'm going to continue to take the Carb-Blockers until I decide whether or not they've actually helped...probably through the holidays...as I have a 90 day money-back guarantee on them.
Rrmalns-where abouts in Southern Florida do you live? We'll be heading to Key Largo for a couple of months at the end of January. Only visited there for a day last year, so it'll be an adventure! Hoping to catch (and eat) lots of fish duirng our stay.