Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Now we have a real test going! I am really unsure of this sugar blocker/carb blocker combo though. If that worked every diabetic in the country would be after them. I am surprised the accounting of refined sugar use and blockage I am seeing here, even the websites claim only moderate blockage of simple sugars generated by the consumption of starchy foods, not refined sugar.

Keep us posted, perhaps we will all get to write an article in the NE Journal of Medicine
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 13:23
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

Let me just otss my 2 cents in...

I use them.. They seam to work for me..

Every two weeks.. I go to Fuddruckers.. and get me a burger or a big dog, with the bun... My stomach feels like garbage a few hours later (well.. about 1).. but it has not slowed or stopped my loss... That is my compromise to still eat certain foods that I enjoy.. I have not tried the blockers with a full "Carb-fest".. but I don't have any desire too.

Oh.. I only take these right before (15 min) I eat out like that..
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 17:41

BF:

Quote:
I go to Fuddruckers
Interesting name, do you have fries or rings as well or is the bun your cheat meal? I have eaten two pieces of toast without using carb blockers and lost weight for the week as well.
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 20:19

Stats: 182/152/120 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 48%

Ok I got on the scale this morning and it is tom week for me and I was still 155. That's great. I know that I should at least me 153 next week. I don't encourage anyone to eat high carbs but if you do just make sure that you have the carb blockers in your system. I can't believe these cheap things are working. The bottle that I have tells you to take 1 during your meal three times a day. Well when I ate that earthquake cake I took two. I admit I did feel a sugar high but I didn't have any cravings for high carb foods.

I've also lost an inch in my hips
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 06:49
Registered Member

Stats: 275/237/210
BF:
Progress: 58%

When I goto Fudds.. I just do the burger/hot dog.. no fries and onion rings.. I just dont have a taste for really high starchy foods anymore...

I see the crap flour bun.. with the processed bad oils (butter on the bun for toasting) as the "bad" things... I dont use the carb blockers as a "free for all" of things I can have now.. just things that I would like... that I enjoy... but want to still be kinda safe about things..
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 17:35

BF:

Amiee, how do they work for sugar? The pills are only supposed to block the conversion of starch TO sugar. What you are describing is a week where you did not lose weight and you indulged one time, correct? I see that happening to me with or without the blockers, but then I am a realist and need hard evidence before committing to an idea.
  #97   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 09:56
Registered Member

Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi all! I've been following this thread for awhile because I've been curious about carb blockers. I'm only just over a week back into LC'ing and its been
s-l-o-w going. I've been floowing the Induction Phase very closely and drinking tons of water. I started taking L-Carnitine yesterday to see if that helps any...but I've got a couple of trips coming up and I know it's not going to be possible for me to LC totally and I don't want to gain while I'm away so I thought that maybe a carb blocker might be the answer. I actually sent away for a Phase 2 product called CarboBan (great promises but the proofs gonna be in the pudding...so to speak). I should be receiving it soon, so I'll keep you all posted as to its effect on me. I sent away for it rather than buying one over-the-counter because it has a 90 day trial and full refund if unsatisfied. I didn't realize that Health Food Stores also refunded their products until I read it from Bayrat (who, by the way sounds like he live around the corner from me).
Talk with you soon...
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:18

Stats: 238/228/150 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Carb Blockers

I'm an ex-Atkins member. The diet worked really well for me and in a month I lost about 8 lbs. I never watched portions unless they contained carbs. I felt great and was rarely ever hungry. Then I got off when family was down south for a visit. I kept the weight off for months by sticking to the good carbs. Then I stopped that too. I have no stamina when it comes to low carbs.

Its been about 18 months now and I've tried over and over but can't get back on a low-carb diet. The variety isn't there. So I started using a variety of carb blockers. All have the kidney bean extract.

I ate what I wanted and managed to not gain weight. In the best case scenario, I lost up to 2 lbs in one week using the blockers and eating as I pleased. I didn't keep refills handy and gained back after stopping the blockers.

Today I'm starting today with Carbolix. This is the product with Alpha C and the kidney bean extract and claims to be better than the others. I have a 6 month supply.

If y'all are interested, I'll keep posting the progress here. I plan on eating good carbs as much as possible, but McDonald's #4 breakfast is my weak spot.
  #99   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:55

Stats: 182/152/120 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 48%

Bayrat,

I'm sorry that I'm just now responding to your post. I'm not sure if it works with sugar. I've never cheated like that before so you maybe right. I didn't have any cravings after eatting the cake and I was surprised. I'm not going to continue eatting like that but I'm glad that it is working thus far.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 16:01

BF:

Amiee no sweat, I have been stumbling over here when time permits. I purchased something called "BLOCK AND BIND" at vitamin world with the refund I got from GNC this week. I have taken them at every meal that contained carbs and did not notice any significant difference in weight. I had 1/2 of one pancake with my egg at Perkin's Thursday while my low-carbing friend ate a stack of four of them along with sausage. Since I check my weight at exactly the same time each morning while conducting these tests to be consistent, I found a 1.5 pound gain had occurred from the previous day. I had a net loss of a pound going for the week but think that was destroyed by the small treat. I will check again tomorrow to verify, but even if I am back to where I started, what did the blocker block???

OK CEETEE, what side of The Bay are you on? I'll give you a hint where I am, "School House Country Store".

Mo'niQue Please do keep us posted on the results.

BRat
  #101   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:

Bayrat...Don't know "School House Country Store"
Not sure if you're talking about "S" Bay or "I" Bay...
I'm just East of "I" Bay and a little North of "Big O". (hehehe)
  #102   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 19:14
Registered Member

BF:

Ooooops...I meant a little South of the "Big O".
  #103   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 20:33

BF:

Well that certainly explains it. I know about the big "O" and it is a good thing you are not north of it, a bit cold there today. Yes, I am east of "I" bay as well but much closer to "S" bay. South of the big "O" just enough to avoid the taxes associated with waterfront.

Later,

BRat
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 20:39

BF:

PS....can jog to the end of Lake Rd from where I am. Probably will stir some curiosity if the fact that one may actually live near the big "O" gets around
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 06:46

BF:
Default Not Convinced They do a Thing

My weigh-in this morning indicated what that 1/2 a pancake did to me Thursday morning is starting to come off. Down 1 pound since then but really wish I had not tried this, would have had a two pound loss most likely. I am still trying to figure what the block and bind did to assist me, I have had the same type results without them. I have taken two of this brand at each meal since Wednesday as well as a couple of bottles of other kinds over the months and do not see the weight falling off like some have indicated.