Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:48

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Actually, pretty much...

More Devil Wears Prada if you catch my drift.
Guess I'll have to watch that again! I tried watching it on DVD but there were so many things going on at the time I couldn't concentrate on watching it. I wanted to see it at the theater but didn't--got the drift tho!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:52

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

When i walk into my bosses' offices, they all check out what I'm wearing. the girls walk by mine and we all compare. Every detail is noticed. It's nuts.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/198/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
If you MUST wear jeans (and it's something frowned on by upper management where I work), wear them dark, fitted (no creases down the front but make sure they don't look like you just pulled them out of the dryer... a steamer works best on jeans and all clothes).
Wear them with a crisp blouse... not a long droopy one, but a tailored blouse. Consider wearing a suit jacket with them, metal jewellery and if no pointy toed shoes... buy some awesome 3/4 boots with a square toe. Nothing chunky, not wedges either. Also, ballet slippers can look awesome with jeans and they are cheap and colourful.

Ok not to be too picky but tailored bloused very difficult to buy when your larger on top, you know what I mean?
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarionov
Ok not to be too picky but tailored bloused very difficult to buy when your larger on top, you know what I mean?

K, there are some FABULOUS new materials out there that have some give. And try blouses that have a wrap effect so you can pull in the waist and extentuate the girls! You might also want to try just a lovely knit shirt that has an interesting collar cut (think oragami or square). Also some shirts with a bit of stitching in between the boobs can look amazing.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:31
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%

What about a woman like me...
Built like a block. Barely a waist to hip ratio.
Wide shoulders to a fault & nary a bustline(AA), wideset. 37/31/37 w/a long waist/hip/butt proportion.
I do find I look good in mens 501 jeans, but not much else.
Having a long inseam (33") doesn't help either. Womens jeans seem geared to 5'6" & down. I feel like I'm still in the 80's with demi boots & jeans too.

Dresses are near impossible to find to look stunning.
The last sexy dress that looked WOW on me was an ruched oyster-colored leather minidress by Vakko. I'd have to drop another 25# to fit in that one. Last full-length formal dress was a gold & silver spangle-beaded Bob Mackie, single shoulder strap w/open back & mermaid train, way out of style now. But I don't need formal anymore, just evening dressy, any ideas please?

Vera Wang shoes are comfortable & I do buy my Gucci boots 1/2 size up for comfort in the pointed toe style.
Thank you Pennink for your great thread here! ~Cheryl Ann
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:43

Stats: 218/198/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks Pennink you are the BEST!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:47

Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

You know, this is actually really good. im SOO bad about fashion, I throw on whatever dark pants and dark top I happen to have within reach. I HAVE nice suits, I HAVE a nice haircut, I HAVE nice makeup (well, ok, 2.5 years ago the lady at the MAC counter did me up and I bought EVERYTHING she put on me) But I dont use them.

Pennink, Im printing out your article (and it is, Ive read less helpful articles in "beauty" mags. and calling it a checklist. I hereby affirm to get my appearance back in order! As of next tuesday when the stepkids go back to seattle permanently, I will be geared up for daily exercise (abandoned about mid summer), hair and make up in the morning, and picking out clothes the night before. Maybe I will even invest in (gasp) heels. And start altering these clothes Ive had for several years that are falling off me.

jeans are the only thing that make me look good. the denim holds...everything together.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CValentine
What about a woman like me...
Built like a block. Barely a waist to hip ratio.
Wide shoulders to a fault & nary a bustline(AA), wideset. 37/31/37 w/a long waist/hip/butt proportion.
I do find I look good in mens 501 jeans, but not much else.
Having a long inseam (33") doesn't help either. Womens jeans seem geared to 5'6" & down. I feel like I'm still in the 80's with demi boots & jeans too.

Dresses are near impossible to find to look stunning.
The last sexy dress that looked WOW on me was an ruched oyster-colored leather minidress by Vakko. I'd have to drop another 25# to fit in that one. Last full-length formal dress was a gold & silver spangle-beaded Bob Mackie, single shoulder strap w/open back & mermaid train, way out of style now. But I don't need formal anymore, just evening dressy, any ideas please?

Vera Wang shoes are comfortable & I do buy my Gucci boots 1/2 size up for comfort in the pointed toe style.
Thank you Pennink for your great thread here! ~Cheryl Ann

K, Cheryl, you gotta fake a waist. Ruching is a GREAT way for you. Especially if it's a dress that has the ruching ending in a little tie at your waist. Play with colour combos--darks recede, so use those to 'hide' what you don't want to emphasize. Make sure you never wear shoulder pads, but you can do some stunning cut high sleeveless turtle necks (you know, then show your shoulders) this will make your waist more defined too.

You could totally do the pencil skirt with a tucked in blouse and wide soft leather belt. If your torso is long, match the belt to the skirt, if you have no torso, you might want to try the other way to give the impression of balance.

Buy clothing that has fake waists with tailoring or elastic. never buy boxy jackets.

Evening, you will find some lovely 'halter' style tops, ruching or smocked at the waist. Wear a longish piece of jewelery to keep it all soft and girly. You might want to make sure the fabric is soft and airy too, like a chiffon for some added girliness. You could also try the soft silk blouse in a lovely taffeta skirt with a belt look, very 50s.

Sounds like you have some awesome clothing! the jeans... try the different designers who let you build your own pair right online... can't think of the name now, i'll look around. I've seen some of the new jeans are coming out with elephant pant styles, but you'd probably want to keep you legs more defined.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:12

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble

Quote:
Funny how casual and professional styles are different in different locales.

no kidding... i went to a job interview once at what i was told was a "financial investment house" wearing a black pinstripe suit, white toile-print shirt, black suede heels with silver accents, and silver jewelry. my hair was pulled back in a low bun, makeup was good, i was my normal assertive and outgoing (yet not crazy) east coast interview self.

when the recruiter called me back about the position, she said the people i'd interviewed with thought i was stiff and stuffy. i actually scared them with what i considered professional wear.

now, next week i have an interview with a company that makes interior design materials. i've got one outfit i THINK will work fine... i've just never been one to go splashy on an interivew.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:19

do the crisp blouse, nice pants and a ROCKIN' piece of jewellery or bag. That way you say to them, i'm casual, professional, but totally into design.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:20

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Where I live there are a lot of farmers, ranchers, retired military, vets, contractors, and other independent business people. They ALL have to be able to roll their sleeves up and pitch in at their companies. Clothes have to be practical and machine washable. Anyone with an expensive suit is viewed with suspicion. They either dress that way so they have an excuse not to get dirty and be useful, or they want to sell you something. Even worse, they could be lawyers! LOL
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Even worse, they could be lawyers! LOL

hides attorney hubby...
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 10:51
HIGH FAT!!!

Plan: CARNIVORE!!!!
Stats: 191/145.0/137 Female 69 inches
BF:30.3/24.06/not yet
Progress: 85%
Cool Thanks Pennink!

Quote:
Make sure you never wear shoulder pads

UH-OH, Remember Betsey Johnson's 'shoulder-pad' years? It was only last year that I finally parted with the sweater dresses & turtlenecks. Took them to a vintage clothes store for a little money. Went & bought some records. (Age showing)

Quote:
Evening, you will find some lovely 'halter' style tops, ruching or smocked at the waist. Wear a longish piece of jewelery to keep it all soft and girly. You might want to make sure the fabric is soft and airy too, like a chiffon for some added girliness. You could also try the soft silk blouse in a lovely taffeta skirt with a belt look, very 50s.

I love pirate blouses & the softer 'floaty' fabrics! My DH, agrees I need to step back to the 40's & 50's styles. He loves it on me. It's hard to find shoes to keep it modern...I love & have some vintage shoes to go with certain vintage outfits, but newer not magoo-looking shoes are hard for me to find. I have 2 pair of open-toed dorsay heels by Valentino in burgundy & saddle tan. I look good in a rounded 'Betty-Boop' toe, but I'm picky about no-toe show & they're impossible to find. Heel width is a big thing with me too. Anyone else this picky about shoes?

Thank you for the advise Pennink! If you find that custom jean site, I'd love to check it out! ~Cheryl Ann
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 11:13

Well, the 40s is back this fall in a big way! And high-heeled spectator pumps!!!! (not great with evening wear, but so fun)
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 11:37

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvonM
now, next week i have an interview with a company that makes interior design materials. i've got one outfit i THINK will work fine... i've just never been one to go splashy on an interivew.
Kvon, if you can, go sit outside the building where you are going to interview and watch the people coming and going. That should give you an idea what dress they feel comfortable with. Then dress one level higher. That should impress them!