Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 05:48

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

oh, ebay clothes, good idea HalfPass. And consignment shops for high-end clothing!

One thing about the shoes. You might lose 1/2 a size or so, but you can buy little heel guards to help transition your shoes. They will fit a LOT longer than the pants you popped out your credit card for.

And nothing cheers up a dull day like a pair of pretty shoes!

Pointy toed shoes ARE sooooo comfy when you get used to them. The heavier you are, to, the more dainty your shoes should be. No honkin' platforms (itsy plats are ok), or clunky man shoes.

Also, big woman, bigger purse. Don't try to pull off those little itty bags or you'll look like those pants with the tiny pockets on my huge Behind.

Good at this? ya, kinda do part of this for a living... so working with stylists all the time I get told... (as in, 'you are NOT thinking of wearing that?' said a few times here and there and you REALLY start to pay attention)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 06:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185.8/185.8/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for this, pennink! As far as pointy-toes shoes go, I always look for a mid-heel and buy them 1/2 size larger than my usual size. Then they are very comfortable.

Questions:
How can I wear a belt without having the "popover effect" on a dress or jeans? I usually wear things un-tucked because I feel too bulky around the waist otherwise ... but I think I've lost enough weight now to give it a go ...

How do you know if an article of clothing is definitely too big? Some fashions look okay looser, don't they? I remember the tip that you should look at the shoulder seams to make sure they fit, but do you have other tips?

Thanks --
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 06:57

Hi! ya, I wear a pair of black pointy pumps to just about anything now I've found they can be comfy. (Note: the more expensive, I mean really expensive shoes are VERY comfy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexy-lou

Questions:
How can I wear a belt without having the "popover effect" on a dress or jeans? I usually wear things un-tucked because I feel too bulky around the waist otherwise ... but I think I've lost enough weight now to give it a go ...-

Choose a wider belt that can hold you in. Luckily, they're in style right now so you have a lot to choose from. With jeans, your waist line would be the natural waist and a belt should not hoist you in, but rest within the belt loops comfortably. If you have back gap you really should opt to have a tailor (or you can) make some darts to stop the hoisting look and the plumber's bum.
Wearing a belt with a blazer, unbuttoned over top also can solve a lot of issues. Wearing a dress blazer with jeans, and a splash of colour in a funky shirt would be cool too.

Quote:
How do you know if an article of clothing is definitely too big? Some fashions look okay looser, don't they? I remember the tip that you should look at the shoulder seams to make sure they fit, but do you have other tips?

Thanks --

I have narrow shoulders so a lot of things drag there. Thank Heaven mom taught me to sew. For tops, hold your arms straight out (like a t) if you see a scad of extra material drooping from the arm seam and on down, move to a smaller size. Pants are droopy at the crotch? time for a new pair.
Loose clothing (especially since most heavy women drape themselves in fabric--I mean come on, I seriously wished the Burka was in style here at one point) can make you look heavier than you are. Fitted, tailored clothing is the way to go.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:06

BF:

Fabulous advice. Thanks! Can I ask one more question? I recently bought a fitted white blouse. I have always avoided white until recently ... Anyway, I'm not sure how to wear it without just looking like a plain Jane -- untucked under a blazer with black trousers. How can I make it look hip?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:29

Quote:
Fabulous advice. Thanks! Can I ask one more question? I recently bought a fitted white blouse. I have always avoided white until recently ... Anyway, I'm not sure how to wear it without just looking like a plain Jane -- untucked under a blazer with black trousers. How can I make it look hip?

This is fun!

Untucked with sleek dark pants (nicely tailored) or a pencil skirt if you can pull that off, with a dramatic piece of jewellery in a bright colour is the best bet! (remember, skin-toned bras with white blouses). BIG jewellery. Chunky beads in red or torquoise looks amazing with white blouses. White and black with a bright shoe (love it with a red shoe) looks professional.

if you tuck into a pencil skirt (not recommended tucking into pants unless you're really slim) wear a wide belt to cover up any muffin top syndrome. But if your hip to waist ratio is pretty dramatic, don't do this. It looks best if you're only 4 to 5 inches more on your hips than your waist. Again, bright shoe. You could use big gold jewellery with this look. And don't wear too much. So if you have a big necklace, no big bracelet and vice versa.

Untucked, tailored blouses with dark jeans looks FABULOUS. Then keep the jewellery a bit more subdued.

One more thing? that purse and shoe matching thing is so 1950s. Don't do it. I love to carry an orange purse when wearing green, for instance.

OH, and dump the teeny sunglasses. Go big and glam. They look awesome diva-style on your eyes, but can also make you look sophisticated on top of your head.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:37

BF:

You're fabulous. I think you should go into business as an online fashion stylist/consultant. Thanks!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:48

Quote:
You're fabulous. I think you should go into business as an online fashion stylist/consultant. Thanks!

That would be so much fun.

I had to learn that as a larger woman I couldn't just shove on a Walmart shirt and pants and look professional--it takes more work. And the really gorgeous heavy woman have a lot of style and are often more beautiful than they ever thought they could be!

I do work as a mag editor, so I get to do this but not a one-on-one. I'd love to do that.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 07:57

Stats: 218/198/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Heres a question, How can I make a outfit with a pair of jeans look business-ee? Oh and I cant wear heels to work Urgh!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:00

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
finding petite jeans is a pain.

Well yeah...but so is finding some long enough. And you can always hem them up. I can't sew on an extra 2". Actually, this is a debate I have often with my friend Jojo. She is only 5'3", I am 6'. Neither one of us can find decent fitting clothes. Manufacturers assume that if you are petite, you are built like a 12 year old boy. They also assume that if you are plus sized- you have big boobs. As she cusses about her jeans not fitting her curves, I cuss about the extra 5" of material in the chest area of my shirts.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by alarionov
Heres a question, How can I make a outfit with a pair of jeans look business-ee? Oh and I cant wear heels to work Urgh!

If you MUST wear jeans (and it's something frowned on by upper management where I work), wear them dark, fitted (no creases down the front but make sure they don't look like you just pulled them out of the dryer... a steamer works best on jeans and all clothes).
Wear them with a crisp blouse... not a long droopy one, but a tailored blouse. Consider wearing a suit jacket with them, metal jewellery and if no pointy toed shoes... buy some awesome 3/4 boots with a square toe. Nothing chunky, not wedges either. Also, ballet slippers can look awesome with jeans and they are cheap and colourful.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:08

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:

Jeans, nice boots, and a fitted jacket with a collared shirt. Don't forget a good belt. That is considered "dressy" in Southern Colorado...LOL
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:35

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Jeans, nice boots, and a fitted jacket with a collared shirt. Don't forget a good belt. That is considered "dressy" in Southern Colorado...LOL
Same here! And I don't recall seeing dark jeans here--indigo is the way to go!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:38

Funny how casual and professional styles are different in different locales.

I work in Toronto now and at times it's like a fashion runway at work. I used to work in a smaller city and no one really noticed.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:38

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
Funny how casual and professional styles are different in different locales.

I work in Toronto now and at times it's like a fashion runway at work. I used to work in a smaller city and no one really noticed.
Anything like "Ugly Betty"?
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Aug-21-07, 08:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
Anything like "Ugly Betty"?

Actually, pretty much...

More Devil Wears Prada if you catch my drift.