Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 14:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The End of Alzheimers by Dale Bredesen

This book was just released today. I have already started reading it and it is fascinating. He writes really well and even I can understand, at least in a rudimentary way, the science behind his protocol. I have lots left to read but so far I am really impressed and glad I bought the book. This is what David Perlmutter said about the book in an email I received:

Quote:
The End of Alzheimer's is a monumental work.

It is written by my good friend and colleague, Dr. Dale Bredesen whose research into Alzheimer’s and neurodegenerative diseases has absolutely changed the way we approach cognitive decline.

The book, available Tuesday, August 22nd, details the comprehensive approach that he has used in his clinic to achieve some breathtaking results with those suffering from neurodegeneration: of the first ten patients on the protocol, nine displayed significant improvement with 3-6 months; since then the protocol has yielded similar results with hundreds more.

In writing this book, Dr. Bredesen's goal is to make this approach available to all patients, caregivers, physicians, and others who have been touched by this disease.

According to Dr. Bredesen, Alzheimer’s disease is not one condition, as it is currently treated, but three, each with a specific biochemical profile that responds differently to treatment.

Rather than pinning hopes on a miraculous wonder drug, Dr. Bredesen has developed a step-by-step plan, the ReCODE protocol, that targets each condition individually and seeks to rebalance the metabolic and other factors that contribute to degeneration of the brain, such as hormone levels, gut health, and sleep patterns.

Using Functional Medicine principles, Dr. Bredesen recommends diet and lifestyle modifications to improve brain power and function that are totally in line with the most leading edge research we have available.

This book is an absolute must read for anyone who's life has been impacted by this disease.

PS: stay tuned for an interview with Dr. Bredesen in the coming weeks...

I thought it might be hyperbole but I am beginning to think he wasn't exaggerating.

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Wed, Aug-23-17 at 06:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 18:23

BF:

One caveat. He's another meat as a condiment person. When I treat meat as a condiment I get too hungry.I guess nothings perfect. I still find the science explained in this book concerning the root cause of alzheimers fascinating.

Jean
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-22-17, 20:45

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for pointing this out Jean. Something to check into. One of my best friends father recently succumb to this disease. It was interesting to see his decline as I only saw him periodically. It was difficult to observe his decline for me, not to mention the close family.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 05:24

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

For those of us who don't have the book yet, but currently have a family member with Alzheimer's, can you give us the basics of how hormone levels, gut health, and sleep patterns affect Alzheimer's, and what diet and lifestyle changes he's recommending?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 06:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
For those of us who don't have the book yet, but currently have a family member with Alzheimer's, can you give us the basics of how hormone levels, gut health, and sleep patterns affect Alzheimer's, and what diet and lifestyle changes he's recommending?

That's kind of a tall order. The foundation is a low carb ketogenic diet, healing inflammation and leaky gut, sleeping 7-8 hours a night using melatonin if necessary to achieve it, stress reduction, normalizing hormones, exercise, all the usual culprits. The devil is in the details. You can read his original published paper here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1a2e...3143356f415.pdf

The place to start is with a low carb moderately ketogenic diet.

He also suggests at least a 12 hour fasting window daily, optimally 14-16 hours.

Dr Bredesen calls his approach personalized medicine. He identifies 3 different causes for Alzheimers. He suggests doing a whole slew of testing so that the recommendations can be individualized to the specific person. You really have to read the book to take in all the permutations of his approach, but as I said low carb moderately ketogenic with a 12-16 hour daily fasting window is the foundation. Unless someone has incredible insurance the cost of all the tesing would be prohibitive for most of us I imagine. Still there is a lot of good information in the book but it needs to be read. Summarizing it is beyond my skill set. Plus I just got the book yesterday so I have hardly absorbed it all.

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Wed, Aug-23-17 at 06:37.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 08:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Chris Kresser's new short interview about the book.
https://chriskresser.com/new-hope-t...and-even-cured/

Quote:
5. Where have you seen the biggest impacts in terms of diet, lifestyle, and functional medicine treatment with AD? The key is that the whole program works together, so there is a threshold effect, just as is seen with cardiovascular disease treatment. There seem to be major effects of reversing insulin resistance, optimizing sleep, exercising regularly, eliminating toxic exposures (especially for Type 3 AD), optimizing hormonal support (including bioidentical hormone replacement), optimizing nutrition (e.g., avoiding high homocysteine, low vitamin D, low vitamin B12, low magnesium, etc.), addressing pathogens (e.g., Borrelia), reducing inflammation (but most importantly, removing the cause(s) of the inflammation), optimizing brain training, and reducing stress.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-23-17, 17:29

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
That's kind of a tall order. The foundation is a low carb ketogenic diet, healing inflammation and leaky gut, sleeping 7-8 hours a night using melatonin if necessary to achieve it, stress reduction, normalizing hormones, exercise, all the usual culprits. The devil is in the details. You can read his original published paper here:

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/1a2e...3143356f415.pdf

The place to start is with a low carb moderately ketogenic diet.

He also suggests at least a 12 hour fasting window daily, optimally 14-16 hours.

Dr Bredesen calls his approach personalized medicine. He identifies 3 different causes for Alzheimers. He suggests doing a whole slew of testing so that the recommendations can be individualized to the specific person. You really have to read the book to take in all the permutations of his approach, but as I said low carb moderately ketogenic with a 12-16 hour daily fasting window is the foundation. Unless someone has incredible insurance the cost of all the tesing would be prohibitive for most of us I imagine. Still there is a lot of good information in the book but it needs to be read. Summarizing it is beyond my skill set. Plus I just got the book yesterday so I have hardly absorbed it all.

Jean

Thank you for the information! I figured the book would be very detailed, but what you've listed is still a good basic idea of what he believes will help.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 02:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thank you, Jean. Very interesting, and I'm eager to compare Bredesen's protocol with the recommendations in Amy Berger's book.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-24-17, 10:42

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, no chance of getting all those tests on the NHS, so follow Amy Berger and fingers crossed
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 04:27

The People's Pharmacy show interview went too long for radio so entire discussion is on-line: https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/201...zheimer-disease
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 06:57
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Amazon has a good price for the Kindle version + audio. I got them both yesterday and have started listening. He warns that chapters 5 and 6 can put the reader to sleep. Worked for me last night as Alexa was playing 5 for me.

I'll go back in the light of day and pick up before I dropped off.

As I mentioned in my journal, it's disappointing that, of the few things that seem to be left for me to eat, according to him, I'll need to stop eating them, too. But as I mentioned there, since I've made it into my 73rd year without cognitive decline (well, not much) maybe I should just chillax.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 07:58

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Here's a link to an interview of the author by Dr. Steven Gundry I found informative. http://gundrymd.com/dale-bredesen-alzheimers-video/ The Amazon preview pages of the book are also good and include in the appendix a list of foods recommended to eat and avoid for anyone wanting to see more what the program's about before deciding on whether to purchase the book.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-25-17, 09:56

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

All I got from Amazon UK in my preview was the introduction.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-18, 05:19

The super-biochemistry podcast/YouTube with Dr Dale Bredesen by Dr Rhonda Patrick. Lucky for us, she spells out the important parts in this long summary, time stamps sections, gives optimal blood markers, etc. I would be totally lost without her website summaries at FoundMyFitness.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/dale-bredesen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-18, 07:35
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Thanks to Janet's post on another thread, I made my way yesterday to Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimiser and learned the new term (new to me) for using ketosis to treat disorders: Therapeutic Keto.

My brush with Alzheimer's Disease last Spring led me to an extensive study of all the neurological diseases which can befall the elderly. ALL respond positively to the Keto WOE.

Bredesen Protocol for AD
Wahls Protocol for MS
Permutter for Parkinson's
the list goes on.
We here have chosen the best known path to brain/neurological/body health.