Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 14:43

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Crumble recipe:
50 gms Ground Almonds
50 gms Gluten Flour*
50 gms Soy Protein Isolate (H&B shops)
1/2 t salt
6 Splenda tablets, crushed
75 gms Butter

* available only online as far as I know.

Rub the butter into the dry ingredients as you would normal crumble and cover your sweetened, cooked rhubarb. Bake until browned to your taste - about 20 minutes in a medium oven.

To make pastry, use the above mix with the addition of 1 t Baking Powder and some beaten egg/water to bind. Leave out the sweetener if you are using it for savoury stuff. It must be rolled out between two sheets of baking parchment as it is fragile. It's good for custard tart, too, baked blind. I've just read that courgettes with mixed spice and sweetener are a good substitute for apples, so I will be trying that as soon as I get the chance.
Babs
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 13:27

Plan: None
Stats: 224/224/154 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs.

Hi Babs,

Thanks for all the info.

You ask why so little calories, i think it is phycological, i think my mind is back to those bad old days when i could only eat that amount of calories to loose weight, having said that, here is a sample of what i eat, fry for breakfast cooked in olive oil, or Almond pancakes,coffee with cream mid morning, mixed salad with sardines or Tuna or cheese for lunch, brocolli +cauliflower maybe spinach with Salmon Cutlet or Chicken or Pork for dinner, Salmon cooked in olive oil, loads of water, i don't eat after my dinner in the evening, actually i find that i can't finish my dinner sometimes Yesterday i had a bowl of Rhubarb stewed with splenda, i also had some today. This week i introduced a couple of Strawberries.

Maybe i'm eating more calories than i think, not sure.

What do you think of my daily eating?

I haven't eaten eggs for ages as they did not agree with me, since Atkins i have no bother with them at all BUT feel they might raise my cholestrol.

Thanks for all the info, oh by the way i almost forgot to mention, i can only go online a few evenings in the week so if i dont post back straight away you will understand why.

Broná
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 19:50

Your menu looks good to me - and likely to be more calories than you said, which is fine for Atkins.
Eggs are officially no longer implicated in the raising of cholesterol, so if you like them, eat up! Do a search on google for the info if you want to see for yourself.
Good luck with the health tests - let us know how you get on.
Babs
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 06:26

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Just a quick note to let you know i had my cholestrol blood done today, should have results next week.

What do you think of this!!!!! The nurse at surgery does all blood tests not Dr's, i told her i was on Atkins, her reply was "Take my advice and dont tell your Dr they dont believe in Atkins it's too dangerous" without getting into too much of a debate with her i replied by saying that iv'e never felt better, i told her i no longer take Neium for Acid Reflux, i no longer have bloating, i'm sleeping better, my IBS is fine, i have no mood swings which at one stage i thought i was depressed, my blood sugar is fine, the constant burning under left ribcage is gone, i lived with that problem daily, i am supposed to go into hospital for three days to have scan done for the ribcage problem which i think now was related to Pancreas and carb overloading, as i've eplained i no longer have that problem

I know for sure that i won't win with my Dr but that is another days work.
I told her that if my cholestrol is up i cant really blame Atkins as i'm only on it four weeks, it will be interesting to see.
Will let you know.

Broná
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Feb-24-05, 04:06

Hi Brona,
Well, unfortunately, that's what you'll get from the established medical community. As a diabetic, that's also what I get, with even more dire warnings! But I am feeling better now than I have for years, while controlling my diabetes without any medication, so I just let them rant. My bloodwork speaks for itself - my cholesterol initially went DOWN, then went up marginally, but even one of the docs at the surgery said it was nothing to worry about as the ratios were good (he didn't know about my LC!).
Be sure to ask for ALL the figures for your results, LDL, HDL, Trig - get a printout, they can't refuse under freedom of information. Then you can post them here and someone will be able to interpret them for you.
We all have to take charge of our health and do the research for ourselves - that's not to say we ignore our doctors, just that we have to see beyond the prejudice against Atkins and LC to the truth as it affects us. There are many more vested interests involved in this issue, including drug companies and food producers. The truth may be out there, but it can be very hard to identify - you just have to take your menu and make your own INFORMED choice.
Babs
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 14:22

BF:
Progress:
Default Babs

Hi Babs,

I'm finding this very strange!!!!!! As you know i had my cholestrol test done last Wednesday, it usually takes 7-10 days to get results, i got a phone call from the secretary at my Dr's surgery telling me that my Dr wants to see me on Monday as my results are back and my cholestrol is high, it is 8.0.
The last test i had done some months ago was 6.0, not so bad for me.

I dont understand how my results came back within two days as they have to go to Waterford City Lab, i'm wondering if the nurse that took my blood told my Dr that i was doing Atkins, remember she told me not to tell the Dr as she will go mad about it as they think Atkins is dangerous!!

I know i'm going to get a lecture, i dont think Atkins is the cause of this as i'm only on the diet four weeks, maybe it is the eggs because i haven't eaten eggs for a few years, will let you know how i got on.

Broná
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 17:41

Hi Brona - have you checked out the cholesterol thread on the main board here? Before you agree to meds, it might be worth doing more research and asking for a recheck in another 3 months to see if it improves. I don't think it's eggs - dietary cholesterol in the form of eggs has been shown NOT to raise chol levels, as many Atkinners will testify.
Babs
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 04:22

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank Babs

Thanks Babs, will have a look at that thread.

I have a friend that is going to London net week, she said if i needed anything lowcarb she would get it for me, she knows how limited items are here where i live, if you get a chance can you tell me what items i need that you know we cant get here, for eg, can she buy Dreamfields Pasta and where?
I know a lot of lowcarb items you can only buy online, the problem is i haven't got a credit card, also what is the best lowcarb cookbook?

I can get soy flour and almond flour and a few other things in my local health store, if you get a chance i'd appreciate it.

Broná
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 22:53

The best lowcarb cookbook is the net!!!!! There are so many great recipe sites available that NO book can match up. I save the recipes I find to a folder on my desktop and try out something different at least once a week.
Unfortunately, I don't think that Dreamfields is available in the shops in UK, nor is gluten flour. If anyone knows otherwise, they will let you know. Ground almonds (an absolute staple for LC) is available everywhere, as are linseeds and other nuts you can chop or grind yourself. Most other stuff is just frankenfood, like LC choc bars, so if you want those there is bound to be more choice in big stores. I would be careful about those - some of them are revolting, not to mention outrageously expensive. Hopefully someone else can make a recommendation for you - low carb Rolos are quite nice, probably the best to my mind but can be bought here, too.
If you want to order online, I'm sure you could send a cheque or a money order - that's the best option IMO.
Babs
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 04:15

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Thank's Babs for the help and info.

Broná
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 12:29

BF:
Progress:
Default Thought i'd let you know

Hi Babs,

Went to my Dr today about my high cholestrol results.
She said i looked great and noticed the weight loss, took my blood pressure which was fine, i then told her i was on Atkins four weeks, i was surprised that she didn't react, she said, well its certainly working for you, i asked her what her opinion was on Atkins, she couldn't give me a straight answer all she said was do it in moderation!!!!!! she did say that the diet did not raise my cholestrol not in four weeks, it must have been creeping up slowly.

She wants me to take Lipitor again, i told her they had side effects and that i did lower it in the past by natural means, she is afraid of heart disease.

She wants me to have it checked again in 6 weeks time.

Just thought i'd let you know.

Broná
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 13:02

BF:
Progress:
Default Forgot to ask

Forgot to ask Babs, is it ok to have some applesauce as in stewed apple.

I've read that it is lower in carbs than the actual apple!!!!!!

This is my third week on OWL, do you think it will be ok for me?

Broná.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Feb-28-05, 18:16

Good to hear you got a reprieve on the Lipitor - here's hoping it goes down.
Never heard that about apples - can't see how having it as a sauce would change the carbs. I've read that sweetened stewed courgettes with cinnamon taste very like apple - a lot lower in carbs. Might be worth a try - even to stretch a very small amount of real apple.
Babs
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 13:13

BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Babs

Hi Babs,

Re: Applesauce, it is on page 499 Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution Book Carbohydrate Gram Counter, it says 1 medium Apple 17.3 digestable carbs and 60g Applesauce 6.2 digestable carbs, i was just wondering because i miss fruits so much, i have a few Strawberries and Blueberries but i miss Oranges Apples etc etc

Thanks for all the help Babs,

Broná
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Mar-01-05, 21:07

Brona, if you use one apple to make your apple sauce, the end result of apple sauce will have 17.3 carbs, regardless - and that's assuming you don't sweeten it.
Possibly 60 gms apple sauce has a large quantity of water (proportionally) in it, but only 60 gms of it will hardly do much for you, one way or another - not worth its weight in carbs You'd probably need about 200gms to have anything worth eating, unless it was to accompany a slice of pork or something. But it's up to you if you want to fit it in to your allowance.
Babs