Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 07:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default UK afternoon tea: ideas for tins and jars for instant serving

I need ideas for fast savoury snacks for afternoon teas: tins, jars, long-life items to tip straight out (or add a touch of something) then serve. Budget is around £3 per item. Not fake low-carb products or sweet stuff. I like good quality savoury food. I have a well stocked cupboard and always have basics such as cream cheese in the fridge, so an easily assembled dip for crudities (maximum 3 ingredients) would be manageable. I physically manage anything more complicated.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please? I shop online in Asda, so ideally I'd prefer to be able to buy it there.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Mon, Sep-21-20 at 13:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-20, 16:14

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I don’t live in the UK, so can’t tell you where or if this is available, but do you like tinned fish? 10 years ago you couldn’t have paid me to try sardines or anchovies or smoked oysters (or mussels), but now I keep a stash on the shelf for when I want a bit of something savory. Particularly the smoked oysters appeal to me. I only know of one brand, in the US, that is available with olive oil (Crown Prince) but that is an important thing to look for IMO. I always read the labels because I believe they have some with canola or soy as well.
The quickest dip in the world: equal amounts of mayonnaise & sour cream, + your favorite herbs, fresh if you have them, otherwise dried. Dill or chives are particularly nice. Dress it up with some finely chopped bell pepper if you want, but it isn’t necessary..
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 06:22

BF:

Hi there, thanks so much for these ideas. I do eat some tinned fish, but we'd put them into hot recipes generally. I'm not sure of how to serve it for afternoon tea. What would you serve the smoked oysters with? I can get them in sunflower oil.

I will try the dip, thanks.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Sep-22-20 at 06:39.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 06:49

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Whenever I think of UK afternoon tea - I don't think of tinned fish.

Instead I think of afternoon tea at the Hotel Russel on Russel Square, London.

I am grateful I do not live in London with easy access to the Hotel Russel.

I quickly developed an addiction to scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.

The memories live on in my fat cells!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 10:13

BF:

Nom nom... clotted cream! oh for Devonshire scones. However the carbs are criminal and they should be banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay

Instead I think of afternoon tea at the Hotel Russel on Russel Square, London.

I am grateful I do not live in London with easy access to the Hotel Russel.

I quickly developed an addiction to scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream.

The memories live on in my fat cells!

Yep, this is the problem. Sometimes visitors point-blank refuse a meal and say "we'll just have afternoon tea instead". But we have nothing like that in the house, so we have to bake scones and make jam instead of having our lunch, then if the visitors stay for ages, I'm starving and end up eating scones for energy. So I need to have a tin or jar of something instant for myself.

Afternoon tea generally has some savouries like mini quiches, sandwiches, etc., so I just need to think of something easy for myself.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Tue, Sep-22-20 at 12:16.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 10:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Hi there, thanks so much for these ideas. I do eat some tinned fish, but we'd put them into hot recipes generally. I'm not sure of how to serve it for afternoon tea. What would you serve the smoked oysters with? I can get them in sunflower oil.

I will try the dip, thanks.

If the smoked oysters are just for me (usually the case) I just eat them as is. Otherwise, perhaps on a thinly sliced veg of some sort, cucumber or kohlrabi, perhaps a bit of cream cheese to “glue” it down. A “prettier” tinned fish nibble (none of them are particular attractive), and maybe available in the UK, are anchovies rolled around a caper; nice on top of a hard cooked egg half, or slice.
Come to think of it, potted meats of various sorts have always been more of a “thing” in Britain than over here, haven’t they? My few older English cookbooks seem to indicate that (including one of my mother’s, specifically aimed at Afternoon Tea). Unless they are so unbearably old fashioned that they aren’t available anymore. I know they are meant for sandwiches, but veg slices or LC crackers could substitute. (Also not hard to make at home if one has the desire)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 10:36

BF:

Quote:

When I was in boarding school in Ireland, in the 1960s, one of the meals served sometimes for Tea (which was our evening meal, Dinner being served in the middle of the day) was sardines on toast; that was probably on Fridays. Quite horrible, and ruined my taste for any sort of tinned fish, except tuna, for many, many years.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 12:24

BF:

Thanks Verbena. I would be offering it to everyone.

I cannot imagine cucumber with shellfish :/ Not sure if it would be my thing, but I do make a lovely dip with fresh smoked salmon, cream cheese and horseradish, which would work well with radishes or cauliflower crudite. I wonder if there's a tin which would sub for the smoked salmon... Hmm
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-22-20, 15:09

BF:

Shrimp goes quite nicely with cucumber. I have in my collection of LC recipes (collected from around the internet) several where the “cracker” is a slightly thicker slice of cucumber, with various toppings. Or a piece 1 to 2 inches long, slightly hollowed out to form a cup. Another cup like thing would be a piece of bell pepper. Your salmon, cream cheese, and horseradish reminds me of something that usually goes over well with guests. thinly sliced smoked salmon (lox) spread with cream cheese mixed with wasabi or horseradish, and then rolled up like a jelly roll. Chilled thoroughly, in the freezer for a bit to firm it up, then rolled in sesame seeds (or chopped parsley or chives), and sliced. Its a little fiddly, but laying the salmon out on plastic wrap makes it much easier. DH calls it Swedish Sushi :-)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-23-20, 03:39

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Does anyone know what to do with canned/tinned caviar?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 04:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
Nom nom... clotted cream! oh for Devonshire scones. However the carbs are criminal and they should be banned!

I probably shouldn't tempt you, but these keto scones are rather good (though they are more like a mini sponge cake than a scone]:

https://aussieketoqueen.com/keto-sc...-afternoon-tea/
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 06:10

BF:

Thanks, Demi. I might try those.

I found a keto bun recipe which was based on mozzarella cheese which looked very promising, and could possibly be converted into a cheese scone, so when I can muster energy, I am intending to try them out.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 06:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbena
Your salmon, cream cheese, and horseradish reminds me of something that usually goes over well with guests. thinly sliced smoked salmon (lox) spread with cream cheese mixed with wasabi or horseradish, and then rolled up like a jelly roll. Chilled thoroughly, in the freezer for a bit to firm it up, then rolled in sesame seeds (or chopped parsley or chives), and sliced. Its a little fiddly, but laying the salmon out on plastic wrap makes it much easier. DH calls it Swedish Sushi :-)

Mmmm.. That sounds really nice. If I could leave it in the freezer until needed, then that would work for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-20, 11:17

BF:

I don’t think leaving the salmon roll in the freezer, well wrapped of course, would cause it any harm.