Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-20, 02:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Lockdown Diet progress

In the summer of 2008 I started the Atkins diet. In July 2009, after losing around 50lb, I stalled at 168lb and nothing seemed to make any difference. Eventually I decided to loosen up, and inevitably the "manana" mantra emerged: "I'll start back on the diet tomorrow", meantime stuffing my face at times with sweet treats, like cake, watching the lbs creep on, and thinking all my clothes were "shrinking in the wash". Luckily, having learned from Atkins, I always limited my consumption of pasta/rice/potatoes/bread at mealtimes, or omitted them altogether, which thankfully meant that I only regained some of the weight, and not all.

Almost eleven years on, the fact that overweight people were being killed by Covid-19 gave me unparalled resolve, and the lockdown removed my partner's ability to pop out to the shops for goodies. And so, yesterday I hit 168lb again almost 11 years to the day I reached it last time. My body immediately began to hit me with horrible weakness and hunger, as if again resisting my attempts to drop below the 168lbs. I have learned from my mistakes and other peoples' successes, however, so I am in it to win it this time. I'm doing a strict induction diet and combining it with intermittent fasting (AKA skipping brekkie), and I won't be giving up, however long it takes.

This is the beginning of the next stage of my weightloss journey - hopefully heading towards a "Normal" BMI.

Good luck everyone! And congratulations to those who have spent the last 11 years reaching and maintaining your goals, instead of eating cake like me!

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Jul-04-20 at 04:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-20, 10:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Congrats, Kirsteen! That's something I found after a lot of practice at LC eating, too - my base meals were healthy, even if I went off the rails here and there with junk food. I actually learned how to cook and how to like vegetables, after being raised on nothing but processed food... so at least the junk was "compartmentalized", as opposed to all day/all night.

Keep on keepin' on.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-20, 11:04

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Awesome 168! This is a stupid question, but did you add physical activity into the equation?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-20, 13:31

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi, the Covid lockdown, and the affects of the virus on overweight people, really gave me the impetus to crack down again too. I've spent the last 11 years trying to break a very long stall, and more than occasionally eating cake when I got depressed and discouraged! But since March I've now lost 40 pounds. But alas I'm still obese and have a lot was to go until i reach "normal". They'll probably have a Covid vaccine (hope hope) before that happens.

Anyway good to see you here and good luck on your journey.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-20, 15:00

BF:

Wow, what awesome replies! Thanks so much for your encouragement, and also sharing your stories.

Kristine - thanks so much for sharing about changing your diet. It's amazing what we can do.

Less Tara.. I am not able to exercise at all due to illhealth and disability, so I haven't really got that as an option. I do my best, however, not to lie still too long.

What I have found useful is using the Atkins book as a bible, and following Dr. Atkins' advice: earlier bedtimes, searching out delicious and enjoyable quality food, etc.. And at present I'm religiously adding up every bite I eat in My Plan, which is giving me a lot of shocks, and helping me to rediscover what foods are allowed on induction.

best of luck with your diet!

Merpig! Thank you so much for your encouragement. And well done you for such an incredible feat! A 40lb loss is absolutely amazing in such a short time. Isn't it super what a little focus can do.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-20, 15:58

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Ah, I am sorry about the exercise question!! (like I said... stupid question). Atkins will do it. And especially if you are losing weight really fast or getting to a place where your body is like WTF is going on? it will look like you aren't losing. I mean the scale won't move for a while, and then one morning it starts bumping down. This happened to me once a long time ago in my 30's when I was having autoimmune flare ups. I'd get really frustrated at seeing nothing move on the scale for like three weeks. And then my weight just staircased down the expected amount i should have lost over a span of like 5 days. I have no explanation for this phenomenon, it just seemed like my body was saying no to reality for a while and decided to sulk for a while. Hang in there. Drink lots of water and maximize fats. have some home made mayonaise with that egg or avocado . or chicken rolled in mayonaise, small bits of bacon and parmesan
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-10-20, 12:36

BF:

Tara, thanks so much for the encouragement. Please don't think that your question about exercise was anything other than useful. It wasn't stupid! I do try to be as active as I can be - I read an article by Michael Mosley which suggested getting up and moving around every hour, and that tip has really helped me.

You get frustrated at a three week wait, but each three days feels like three weeks to me, lol. I've lost a pound since my post, so I am officially over the hurdle.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Fri, Jul-10-20 at 12:42.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-26-20, 11:41

BF:

I'm now 10lbs lighter than 8 weeks ago, and according to the NHS and US healthcare BMI calculators, I am officially teetering at the very top of the "healthy" category for my height. It's taken me 12 years to get my act together but I got here eventually. I've more to lose, of course, but not too many now.

Thank you so much for your support and advice. You are all awesome!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-20, 13:29

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Wow, 10 pounds lighter is awesome! I haven't really lost any weight since my previous post on July 8. Still down 40 pounds but no more, just bouncing up and down the same 4-5 pounds. But I'm on a new regimen now (details in my journal since some of is stuff I'm not supposed to post about here) and I have hope I'll keep moving again.

That 150 goal, and then 147, sound very doable. Good luck.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-20, 14:12

BF:

Hi Debbie, thanks for the encouragement. Sorry to hear you'd not lost anything in that period. I guess your body needs to adjust to all you had lost. Dieting is so much easier with some instant gratification of weightloss. It's a shame it doesn't always work like that.

Keep on keeping on.