Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 08:13

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Question Ankle weights

Let me start by saying I do not work out. So, I guess consider me a newbie to the General Exercise forum.

I really like to walk with my ankle weights on. I am a very strong woman and I enjoy walking much more if I can 'feel' something while I am doing it. My weights are adjustable ankle/wrist weights and I place the weight on the back of my leg over the heel versus the front over my foot. I believe they are 2.5 pounds each (no more than 5 pounds each).

My question is this: is this not a good idea? My boss/friend says that ankle weights while walking is not good for the joints. She suggests that I use them while exercising (leg lifts, etc.) and not walking. I have already mentioned that I probably would not workout (with or without them).

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Julie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:09

Plan: Avoid most grain, sugar, soy, and vegetable oil. Run and/or bike 3x a week, weights 2x.
Stats: 240/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have also heard, from a well known NFL trainer, that walking with ankle weights will damage your knees.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 22:06

Plan: combined plans
Stats: 192/158/147
BF:
Progress: 76%

I've heard the same thing, bad for the joints.

i've heard that wearing a weighted belt, like say a SCUBA diver wears is better because then it is around your waist, center balanced. I've also hear of a weighted back pack... but for me, that would just kill my back, so i'd never do it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 09:38

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Question Well, then

Thank you for the answers.

Is there any benefit to putting the ankle/wrist weights around my wrists if I am only walking?

I know these questions may be ridiculous, but I have no experience with exercise except aerobics.

Thank you for your patience,
Julie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 09:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

There are numerous websites that deal with tips on walking. Seems that many of them have copied the same passage out of some sort of manual, because the wording is exactly the same.

thewalkingsite.com gives tips for walking. They say not to use ankle or hand weights, but unfortunately they don't say why. Several other sites out there say the same thing, but they also don't say why.