Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 10:46

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default aerobic vs. weight training?

Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere else, but I'd like to get some input on this question:

I started reading "Protein Power" yesterday and was surprised to find they rank resistance training as the most important exercise you can do for your health. I had always thought it was pretty much universally agreed that *aerobic* fitness was the most important kind of fitness you could have, if you had to choose. I just absolutely despise weight training, even though I own a workout bench and some free weights, and I know it's very good for you-- but does it really take priority over aerobic fitness? Comments, anyone?

Missydog
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 11:46

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default strength training

hi missy -
yes, i know, i felt the same as you. for the past week, nat, doreen, trainerdan, and fern have all been very supportive of my starting strength training. there have been numerous discussions in the exercise forum this week. also, in my exercise journal there has been some supporting evidence that gaining muscle as you lose fat is the best way to go. i have overcome my eating fat, so getting over the unfounded fear that lifting weights will "pump me up" is pretty easy.
good luck, and if i find the specific threads, i'll post them to you.
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 19:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default weight training - vs. cardio

hi missydog,

I tracked down a couple good articles at ivillage.com, by Jonny Bowden, their weight-loss and fitness coach/expert. He also happens to be pro-lowcarb .. and lots of sound advice on the timing of food and exercise, carbs & protein.
Quote:
Cardiovascular exercise and weight loss

Here's what the using the exercise bike will do: burn calories, increase circulation, improve health and heart, and increase endurance. Same goes for any other good cardiovascular activity such as running, walking, stair climbing, dancing and so on.

Here's what it WON'T do (at least in any significant way): build muscle.

Cardiovascular exercise is one of the best health insurance policies on the planet. But despite its calorie-burning and heart-protecting effects, its effect on weight loss is limited for many people, especially if it's not coupled with dietary change. Cardiovascular activity is great for preventing weight gain and great for weight management, but when used alone, it's not the perfect method for weight loss.

.. read rest of the article here
AND
Quote:
Why Women Need Muscles

Sure, you can lose weight with aerobics alone. But all too often, you'll wind up being a "smaller" version of a flabby person. Significant muscle tone, definition, vitality and strength are rarely --- if ever -- achievable from cardio work alone.

The take-home point here is do your weights. You need 'em. They're going to give you the tools to burn calories while you're resting, watching TV, working at your desk, etc. And, let's face it -- that's where you spend most of your day. You need to train your body to be efficient at calorie burning during the other 23 hours a day when you're not in the gym. Remember that a person with muscle sitting in front of the TV is burning more calories at that moment than a flabby person.

... read rest of article here
He has dozens of other great articles on fitness/exercise and nutrition here

hope there's something helpful for you.

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 22:49

BF:

Thanks so much, Doreen. The articles you cite are just what I was looking for.

Missydog
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-10-01, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Cool Hate it? Don't do it!

Dear Missy Dog,

If you HATE weight lifting, don't waste your time beating yourself in the head with a barbell. Life is too short to waste it on mindless drudgery you despise. That being said, what it is you hate about weight lifting? If you woud LIKE to find some healthy way to train with weights, and hold onto muscle mass while you loose body fat, there probably IS a way to make it work for you.

If you HATE the pain and effort, consider using lighter weights and more reps or sets.

If you've been taught to Train to Failure and just think it's stupid, stop. Cut back on those last UNproductive reps. There is absolutely NO need to push your nervous system that far.

Or, if you use light weights and they just don't do anything for you, consider going heavier.

Hate waiting in line and the gym (I sure do)? Work out at home.

Tired of spending so darned much time on it? Get the book "Power to the People" by Tsatsuline and learn how just 2 exercises (deadlifts and side presses) can really boost your strength and cut your workout time down to a super productive 30 minutes.

So, I suggest you drop the weights (watch your feet) or find a way to enjoy them.

Best wishes,
Rodney Robbins
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:40

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default true

Doreen and the rest of the crew have pretty muched covered this one, and Rodney has expressed some good points.

If you identify what aspect of weight training you consider drudgery and let us know, we can come up with many ways to change your program into something you may enjoy.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 13:12

BF:

Dear Trainerdan, or anyone else with an interest:

Since, as I've said, I do not enjoy weight training, but I know it's good for me, I'd be very grateful if someone could point me toward the shortest possible workout (more intense would be okay with me) that would be beneficial. I'm already doing hours of aerobics and yoga each week, and weight training is last on my list of things to do, but I'd like to at least DO it, just in some abbreviated way.

Thanks so much,
Missydog
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: Carb. Addicts
Stats: 185/190/170 Male 5' 10"
BF:21%
Progress: -33%
Thumbs up

Dear Missydog:

The best general health strength training book I've ever read is called "Power to the People!" Enter that title at Amazon.com to read all about it. The book is a fun read, although the testosterone smell is a bit thick off the pages.

The basic program involves doing one set of 5 deadlifts, resting, then doing another set of 5 with 90% of whatever you just used. That done, you move on to side press (a one handed overhead press) done in the same way: one set of 5, rest, second set of 5 with 90% of whatever you just used. Repeat 3-5 days per week. You start light, build up the weights slowly over a month or two, then, when you can't get 5 reps anymore, you start over at the beginning with light weights.

What's really nice, and an unexpected suprise with this book, is the information on using tension and proper exercise form to lift more and greatly improve your safety on the very first day!!

I was a North Carolina NASA Powersports champion last year and I love this program. For fashion model fitness, or serious strength training up to and including powerlifting competition, this book is all you need. You won't get bulky, but you will get strong and you won't waste time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 15:57

BF:

Thank you, Rodney, for the tip. I'm going to look for this book in my local bookstore and see what I think.

Missydog
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-14-01, 11:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

The wonders of the internet. I got so excited by the recommendations here, and the reviews on amazon, that I ordered this book! It looks amazing. I just wish it didn't have to complete such a large puddle jump to get to me! Thanks, Doods.