Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-10-01, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Unhappy Blood Donor - Denied

I went to give blood and I was turned away. I was told that my Iron level was too low and that I should eat some red meat, poultry, liver, raisins, broccoli and prunes.

I eat meat on a daily basis, I practically ate half a cow for lunch and broccoli is 1 of the main veggies I eat. I take my multi's when I remember what's wrong?

I know its the multi's I should be taking them everyday right?

Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%

Did they give you any figures? Do you take any other meds? The reason I ask is that various things can affect iron absorbtion. My mother was on 1/2 a baby asprin every day to reduce her stroke risk and she ended up severely aenemic because it turned on she was bleeding internally, and she had no idea! Also you might want to check exactly how much iron is in that multi-vitamin (having typed this I am appalled to realise that the multivitamin I've been giving to my son (alphabetic because he has insulin resistance) has NO iron). Another thing is that as women our iron levels can be affected by our menstrual cycle (one thing I don't have to worry about any more).

Jay
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 07:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Shannon

I found some information that low iron, particularly in women, can be attributed to exercise. However I found a discussion thread (on another bb.. i know, i know, ) that should answer some questions.

http://bbs.eatprotein.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000258.html

The part about the blood 'bank' wanting you to be at a certain level (higher than normal) is something i've heard before.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 08:01
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation anemia & iron

Yes, Jay is right ... anemia is still more common in young women than we think. Part of it stems from years and years of lowFAT eating, where we were afraid to eat red meats. It takes a while for the body's stores to be built back up.

Recent research has shown that excess iron can accumulate in the tissues acts as an oxidant. It can also interfere with organ function, such as heart, kidney, liver. The keyword is accumulate ... this is a concern for older men and a post-menopausal women. Younger women who are menstruating do NOT have this problem as the monthly losses serve to balance things. In fact, if iron stores are not replenished, low-grade anemia can result. And it happens a lot. We get tired feeling, sluggish, no energy ... Iron is used to make hemoglobin .. the molecule of the blood cell that carries oxygen to our cells. Not enough iron = not quite enough oxygen, and we get tired easily. Hemoglobin gets used up rapidly in hard-training athletes, particularly long-distance endurance type.

Vitamin C is needed to improve the absorption of dietary iron. The minimum RDA is 60 mg, which is a crock. Many nutritionists are urging that be raised to 100mg per day ... and note that the RDA is just the minimum required to prevent deficiency symptoms. For optimum health, you may need more. If your gums bleed when you floss your teeth, chances are you may need more vitamin C. Since many LowCarbers aren't eating a lot of vegetables and fruits which supply C, it's necessary to supplement. Vitamin C is NOT stored, meaning you must replace it daily. So check that daily multivite ... you might want to consider taking a little extra C .. .. I personally take 250mg twice a day.

As for iron, the RDA is 12 - 15 mg. According to our Foods counter tool, 100 g (3.5 oz) cooked lean roast beef provides 1.85 mg of iron.
Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-11-01, 08:57

BF:
Default Re: anemia & iron

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
Vitamin C is NOT stored, meaning you must replace it daily. So check that daily multivite ... you might want to consider taking a little extra C .. .. I personally take 250mg twice a day.

Thanks, Doreen. I have been thinking about taking some C, I'll get right on it.

Still stunned,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 15:28

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default ???

How did they diagnose that you had low iron??? Just by looking at you? I didn't know people who take blood test the blood for iron level on the spot/in fact, I don't think they test for anything on the same site as they take the blood. It's sent off to a lab. Is that what happened? You got a letter about your blood?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 17:05

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 170/166/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default low iron

When donating blood, they do a fingerstick, just for hemoglobin
and hematocrit. You might be a low normal and they won't take your blood. I have a hi iron count because I smoke. I told my Dr. he should make his anemia pts. aware of this and I thought he was going to smack me. *Smile*

How about that Propaganda of Arafat donating blood? Cripes there is an age limit on blood donors, who does he think he is
fooling?

If you do not have to wait long to donate, try again. They will
probably get a different reading.

KarN
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 19:18

BF:
Progress:
Default Huh

Last time I donated they just wanted to know my height weight and any medications I was on. Huh.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-14-01, 21:48

Stats: 176/166/140
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default I volunteered at the Blood Donation Center

I spent all day Wednesday volunteering at LifeSource, and it was PACKED. I worked up until 4pm when my name was finally called (I had registered at 10am), and then I went home.

I worried about whether I'd be accepted, having just gotten out of induction, but man my blood sank like a ROCK in that blue liquid stuff. I vaguely remember the Atkins book saying that Low Carbers should not give blood - was I seeing things?

Off topic - I could not believe the FOOD that poured into the donation center from local businesses. Donuts, cookies, coffee, and sandwiches. Even McDonald's sent over burgers, fries, and Cokes. Amazing. I was VERY strong and didn't touch any of it. I just ate my hard-boiled eggs and drank my water.

Toward the end of the day, the smell of donuts and fries almost made me ill. But, we had to have something for those who had just donated. And the food WAS eaten - just not by me.

I'm surprised to hear about anemia in a low carber. Please get a checkup!

-Nancy
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 05:06

BF:
Progress:
Default Anemia/common place?

Hey, I've noticed that my REAL 18k gold rings have made dark/almost black rings around my fingers at times...is this anemia? What IS anemia /low iron I know, but other symptoms/and why would I have it if I eat all this red meat and there's iron in my vitamin? Anyone else have this "ring symptom"?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 06:49

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 170/166/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Iron

Hi,

No ring problems here. I guess since we are all individuals, things
effect us in different ways. I find it hard to believe that lo carbs
would do this.

As far as donating blood goes, maybe in a crises they skim over
the in depth questions. Maybe each center is different. I know
when I was a donor and developed cancer, they would no longer
take my blood. (that was one of the questions)

Anemia is a symptom of an underlying problem. I suggest anyone with lo blood count see their physician. If I remember
right, symptoms include feeling tired, looking pale, shortness of
breath, feeling dizzy.

Dr. Atkins did recommend a visit to the Dr. and having lab work done prior to starting this WOL.

Have a good week end everyone,
KarN

PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 18:16

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

The black ring you see on your finger from your rings is from some kind of chemical reaction between the gold and a chemical (I have no idea which) that you are secreting through your skin. I used to notice this a lot when I was a lot younger after drinking the night before. Apparently the alcohol or some metabolite thereof caused the reaction.

Anemia would have nothing to do with that.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 19:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
The black ring you see on your finger from your rings is from some kind of chemical reaction between the gold and a chemical (I have no idea which) that you are secreting through your skin

This reaction (Oxidation) is most commonly seen with silver and is a reaction to copper in the ring. It's more pronounced when your hands are hot and you perspire.

Nat