Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 07:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hmmm,

Reading this post I wonder if this will help me too?

I have been suffering since Feb/March with terrible aching pains at the top of my arms on the front of my body. I asked the Dr. about this, as when I go to reach the shooting pain is awful. She didn't seem to concerned, figuring it is just my work, where as I know I have been doing this work for six years so my thoughts are no, this is something else...thinking Arthritis? While sleeping should I move my arms the pain is something. Now, with my work, and even my home cleaning at my own home, my arms act up more so after I have done something.

When on my nordictrack yesterday morning I was also swinging my arms back and forth and sure enough by that afternoon, I was just being killed with the pain once again! While typing now, I am in pain!

With my pms trouble I have been taking vitamin D and Evening primrose plus a calcium supplement, but ran out of everything last week. I have since run out of many of my supplements and will be going over to Walmart to replace them.

I must check what calcium supplement the doctor had me on, maybe I need the magnesium and I am not receiving it?

Wendy
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 08:24

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

well, i'm here to report: NO charley horses last night!! my legs didn't cramp up once! that was after only 5 doses of the cal/mag.
doreen and nicola, thank you so much for the advice! the advice and support that i recieve on this board is so wonderful! what a great bunch of friends! i would have just kept adding more calcium. i remember (22 yrs ago) my doctor prescribing calcium for my leg cramps when i was pregnant with stephanie. i didn't take them. i was afraid to take pills when i was pregnant.
wendy, i'd advise you to add the magnesium to your diet. go to walmart and get the jamieson brand. the cal/mag is on for $7.67 for 200 pills!! i couldn't believe how inexpensive it was to buy chelated minerals. i'd only ever checked at gnc and health food stores before. i thought that jamieson was just another grocery store quality vitamins. they're just as good as all those $40.00 bottles. i was reading all the labels.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 09:05

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:

Hey Wendy

I'm sure trying supplements wont hurt and that Doreen will be along soon with the answer but I found myself wondering if you might have RSI?? Repetitive Strain Injury from the kind of work you've been doing as you've been doing it for some time.

I'm a Personnel Manager (yes, I admit it) when I'm not lounging around at home and i have come across a couple of women who have got RSI from typing. The symptoms they describe are a little similar. Do you do a lot of the same work involving your hands, arms or shoulders??? maybe cleaning, scrubbing or something??

The other thing I thought of if you cant readily fix it (regardless of what it turns out to be) is that tons of people over here with persistant pain, back, joint or other pain are going in for magnets. Wearing garments or sleeves or sleeping on blankets which have lots of tiny magnets sewn into them. I dont know why it works or how (presume its safe but who knows) but I do know that a lot of people get considerable relief through using
them.

On a diet like this though, lack of supplements are probably the most likely suspects. I've been feeling explosive and depressed for more than a week and finally sat down with my vitamins to discover that whilst I am taking b6 and b12, none of the other B vitamins were in there so I've just zapped down and got some so I'm very much hoping I can go back to being even tempered in a few days. Always have to bear in mind that despite the benefits this isnt a balanced way of eating.

Nicola
  #19   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 11:36
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by nrussell
.........finally sat down with my vitamins to discover that whilst I am taking b6 and b12, none of the other B vitamins were in there ......... Nicola
hi Nicola, and everybody,

Just wanted to comment, when taking nutritional supplements, your best foundation is a quality multiple vitamin and mineral supplement, then add extras from there.

The B-vitamins are a good example of what can go WRONG when you selectively take only one component, without also supplementing a base amount of the other nutrients which make up this vitamin complex. Taking B6 (pyridoxine) alone, can lead to a deficiency in B3 (niacin). B3 is very important in carbohydrate metabolism, the production of bile, and mental functions such as depression, fatigue and headaches. So, ensure that you take a base of all the B-complex, then add individual B-vitamins for particular therapeutic purposes, if needed. B6 is often recommended for PMS symptoms. However, the woman may experience sweet cravings, headaches and depression brought on by low niacin levels, caused by the B6!

hope this is helpful

Doreen

#20   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 21:08

BF:

Oh dear,

these supplements all sound so confusing. I think I will have to go out and buy another book, this one on supplements. I am so confused.

I did think about the work being repetitive, yet at the same time I use my arms for everything...LOL...Its not like I can just stop and not use them anymore.

Now I am looking for some kind of relief. The doctor did give me pills called Rofecoxib 12.5 MG. Problem with me is, I don't care to take pills (heavens its something for me to remember to take these supplements now, never mind medication!).

I have only taken one a couple of nights, when the pain is just unbearable, yet it says on the bottle to take 1 to 2 daily. I don't want to become dozy like medication sometimes tends to do to me. Or for that matter get use to medication.

Guess when I go in to her again for my weight in I will have to mention the pain is still a problem, I have been keeping quiet on it lately what with enjoying this woe.

Thanks for the information it truly is appreciated.

Wendy
  #21   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 21:36

Plan:
Stats: 286/254/148
BF:
Progress:
Default B Vitamins

I just felt pleased with myself for getting myself a B Complex supplement to counteract these mood problems. I got it home and no sign of niacin or niacinamide but it does mention Nicotinamide - are these in any way the same?? IE: Is nicotinamide a form of B3??

In the three different brands of multivitamin I have taken (try to get a better one each time), 2 dont have niacin whilst supplementing B6 & B12. Dont these multi vitamin people know how vitamins work??? Also none I have found so far have chromium or selenium or a whole lot of other things.

Consequently, I am now taking about 7 supplements twice a day. They are generally all huge and smelly and its getting to the point where I cant stomach them any more. Thus I'm throwing the towel in and at great expense, delivery et al - going to get myself a big supply of some Atkins basic 3 formula and the essential oils formula so I can significantly cut down the number of supplements I'm taking. Taking supplements is definitely one of the things I like least about this woe.

Nicola
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-05-01, 22:39

BF:

What an old way of thinking.....

Why a book, when one has the web access....duh....

Was just looking up supplements and I do believe I should take all of mine to the doctors. I have five containers of them now compared to three before starting this woe. I think being that this doctor I go to is into supplements, she will help me set it straight in what I need etc... Being new to supplements I do believe some guidance is needed.

This change of life thing for me is really something.....education is really needed!

Wendy
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-06-01, 06:13

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Okay all this talk of vitamins and supplements made me go look at what I am taking. When I first went to purchase a multivitamin, I told the clerk at GNC I wanted a good multivitamin. Of course she handed me a bottle specifically "formulated" for women. I read the label and it had zero potassium and magnesium. What women don't need these minerals? Bah I said! I shoo'ed the clerk away and picked up every bottle and examined the label. From looking at this label and what you have been talking about....my vitamin bottle is safe from the trash

#24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 14:00

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 172/155.5/130
BF:
Progress:
Default one leg cramp

I take a two to one ratio of calcium and magnesium.Since starting LCI I have had periodic one leg cramping at night.(My bad side-back injury years ago),is the only side affected.Pain is no way as bad as numberonewendy's though.Anyway I am going to increase my magnesium so it's one to one ratio with the calcium for a month or two to see if that helps.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 14:02
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I think adding potassium to cal/meg helps a lot too.

Wa'il
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 16:25

Stats: 350/295/145 Female 64
BF:26.3%
Progress: 27%
Default online shopping for vitamins

Hi everyone!

Very interesting reading about vitamins. It really is soooooo confusing!

I am basically lazy when it comes to shopping, but I love to shop online. I don't know if any of you are QVC fans, but they do have online shopping. Nature's Code vitamins have I think about everything we need including magnesium and zinc. It also has Ginkgo Biloba and Evening Primrose Oil. The cost for 90 days is about $50.00.

Just wanted to share this with you.

minetofix
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 18:17

BF:
Progress:
Default potassium

I found "No SAlt" today and plan on mixing 8 oz. of water with 1/8 teas like Tamarian does, and take that twice a day.

I am also going to look at Atkins new Vita-Nutrient Solution paper back at the book store and see if and what he recommends as far as everything we should be taking to cover the basics..Has anyone read Atkins Age-Defying Diet Revolution? I wonder what information could be in it that is not in his New diet revolution book.

Last edited by Joyce Pari : Wed, Sep-05-01 at 20:44.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 22:04

BF:
Progress:
Default not for me!!

I tried to drink the water and potassium but I can't handle the taste.I will look for magnesium pills tomorrow.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 13:14

Stats: 350/295/145 Female 64
BF:26.3%
Progress: 27%
Default online shopping

I found a great place to get vitamins/minerals etc at reduced prices. Thought I'd share the address with you.

www.webrx.com

minetofix
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 19:14

BF:
Progress:
Default minetofix

Hi there-

Thanks for the web address to buy products on line.I'll check it out soon.

Take care,Joyce