Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 14:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/210/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Did anyone ever feel depressed??

I just wanted to know if anyone ever felt depressed during the first few days when on induction? That is the way I feel today, and I was wondering if anyone felt that way

Thanks!

Tarah

P.s. I have bought the book it is just taking a few days to get here....so please no one else tell me to get the book!
hee hee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 16:07

Stats: 166/162/138
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Tarah...... I know what you mean.... but if you think about it.... anytime that you have to start a diet you get depressed.......but this one definitely seems better, because you can really eat as much as fills you and not feel guilty...... except for the carbs... and actually the Induction period is only two weeks.

Here's a tip..... if you buy the Keto Strips they really are a great incentive to show your weight loss.... I remember when I wnet on the diet the first time I was very motivated by having the strips.... in the first 2 weeks I lost about 12 pounds.... I lost of total of about 20 pounds and kept it off for about 3-4 years..... but then I became overconfident about eating carbs... and really went overboard.... so I'm back on Atkins.... which I still believe shows the fastest results to keep you motivated.

Hang in there....... it will be worth it.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-01, 16:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Most feel *out of sorts* when they start low carb. This can be helped with the correct vitamins and supplements. A multi vitamin and a calcium / magnesium supplement will do a world of wonders. Cal/Mag comes in one tablet with a ratio of 2:1 (333 calcium/ 167 mag). Take at least 3 a day. I take 4 with the last one an hour before bed. Potassium will also be something you'll need. It will help with the muscle fatigue that comes with the water loss you'll experience. The best way to get potassium is with a product called "NoSalt" or "HalfSalt". Mix an 1/8 of a tsp with a large glass of water.

The way you're feeling has a lot to do with carb withdrawal. It will pass. Just hang in there and keep reading.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-01, 18:43
Registered Member

Stats: 150/124/120
BF:
Progress: 87%

I felt depressed at the outset, but also I've always had a tendency to have mood swings. Since I've been low-carbing, though - since last February - my overall mood has stayed amazingly even, and I've been depressed considerably less often than before. I hope your depression goes away soon!