Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 08:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/160/125
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Your opinions please

All day yesterday I had been having these horrible pains in my abdomen. I kinda shrug it off because I am 8 weeks postpartum and thought maybe my uterus was still shrinking. (I am not breastfeeding, of course) Anyway, they continued and I noticed I felt like I had to use the restroom. However, when I tried nothing happened.

Also yesterday and even right now I continue to have my leg and foot and arm and hand "fall asleep" Sorry, I don't know the clinical term for this. For the first time yesterday I used the Ketostix and found that I am definitely in ketosis. At the moderate level.

In everyone's experience does this sound like something I should be concerned with? I am going to make a Dr. appt. but I need to have an opinion or know if this sort of thing is normal. I have been lowcarbing since Sept. 1 and am still on Induction.

Cosequently, late last night I sipped on a herbal laxative tea to help me use the restroom. Boy, did it. I have had the abdominal pains today, but not as much.

Any and all theorys will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 13:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Unhappy hi Simone, sorry you're not feeling well

First ... just want to reassure you that the symptoms you're having are in no way related to ketosis.

After-pains do occur following delivery, but almost always subside within a week or two. And more often associated with breastfeeding, which stimulates the production of oxytocin (the hormone responsible for lactation and uterine contraction)

Constipation is a big concern for many during the early weeks of low-carbing, especially if the changes in diet have been radical -- ie, your previous diet was mostly highly refined white sugar and white flour products, with few vegetables, and not a lot of meat. Check out the article Low Carbing and Intestinal Health which you can find by clicking on Low Carb Tips from the menu bar at the top of the page.

I read back through your journal, and it appears that CHEESE has been a daily feature in your menus. Cheese of course has its own "binding" effects ... as well, it's possible that you may have a mild allergic sensitivity to dairy products, that were masked before and now are surfacing, especially eating it everyday. Also, I noted a lot of salt .. bacon, the cheese, other salty processed meats (are the burgers home-made from fresh meat, or prepared frozen type?) Too much salt can lead to the stools becoming dry and dehydrated.

The numbness "pins and needles" sensation is called parasthesia ... and most often occurs on one side of the body. It may be a pinched nerve, or some other nerve-irritation. But, a most common cause is Calcium deficiency. Calcium is vital for proper nerve-conduction, and you should be getting 1000 to 1200 mg per day.

I read elswhere that you are taking your prenatal vitamins, which is a good idea, but it would be wise for you to add extra Calcium, with magnesium added to it, and extra potassium as well, if you're not taking that already. But calcium especially.

Hope this is helpful, and hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 13:56
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Thank you so very much

Doreen,
Thanks a bunch. You were most helpful. I NEED CALCIUM. Yup, I need a supplement. I bet that is why I have the pins and needles.

I most certainly have been eating a great deal of cheese and read on one of the threads that may also stall you. Well, I will cut back on the cheese and bacon. (Bacon is really salty) I have never been a big condiment person anyway.

The burgers I eat are mostly from the fast food restaurant. Although this evening I will make my own from ground chicken.

I actually do feel alot better now. Thanks for your concern and thanks for posting a reply.

It is greatly appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-01, 16:03

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi Simone,

Found it at last! Pathetic really, been here 7 months and still can't always find my way round the forum.

Glad you had a comprehensive and well-considered reply from Doreen. You could not not have done better, and it probably took her an hour or even more.

The only thing I can add to this is that on the type of low-carb diet I am on, bowel movements are entirely regulated by the amount of fat you eat. You may find this useful to remember, if ever it is only constipation, although it sounds like something more this time. If you are constipated, eat more fat. If you eat too much, your body soon lets you know! In this way, you and your scatalogical timetable come to a very useful two-way understanding, with no need for pills, and no constipation.

Best wishes.

P.S. I'll look for you on "Another Way of Doing it?" (My journal) next Sunday, if not before!

Andy.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 14:41

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Fresh Green Methi (Fenugreek)

My remedy for constipation - not that I have it any more - is a bunch of fresh green methi. It looks a bit like parsley. It is green, very low carb, natural food. Just add it to salads or meat dishes or casseroles/ omelettes etc. Seems to have a magical effect - as good as prunes, which are not so advisable on LC diet.

Glad you are feeling better.
Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-19-01, 15:51
Registered Member

BF:
Talking Thanks

Thanks Fiona.

I was just writing out my shopping list and was trying to include foods with fiber and little or no carbs. What a big feat. Well, now that you have told me about the mendhi, I will try it.

You all are so helpful.

Thans again, Fiona.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 15:58

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi

I think what you are describing is definitly worrying. Asd you are eating a lot of cheese and you are not breastfeeding, I don't think you have a serious calcium defiancy. Have a word with yor doctor asap. It could be a trapped nerve, but pins and needles sound more like a lack of blood-supply to this area. I really don't want to scare you (sorry if I do), but could it be a blood clot ? My dad had one in his leg and his foot used to "fall asleep". This could have been very serious.

Hope you are fine and enjoy the new baby !
Sabine